Sold my GSA and am back on a KLR !!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GAS GUY, Sep 23, 2012.

1. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    What would you suggest ???

This KLR isn't slowing me down too much.
    Actually I was hoping it would slow me down more. lol
    I've done 600+ mile days on the road and done hours of single track with street oriented tires and a 16 tooth cs sprocket.
    I think this bike is pretty versatile.

Also I have run both Generation of Klr's off road set up similarly, and as far as I can recall there is not much of a difference.
    They are both heavy.
    The Gen 1 being narrower does give some psychological confidence though.
    The Gen 1 is better off road, but not much.

Here is a link to a ride I did on the Gen 1 in similar conditions.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663295
  2. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have 3 klr's and have put around 30k miles on "adventure trails" on them. does that make them an adventure bike? i believe i even went to Starbucks on one once.

for me they are almost the perfect bike. they are faster than i want them to be on these trips...when you haul ass..what do you see? a 6" wide line through the trail 1000 miles long? ive actuallly been thinking of getting a smaller bike to slow myself down even more :D
    but if i wanted more grunt..and sometimes i do..no question in my mind... Honda xr650r with a fork transplant....i really believe it is the only bike that could replace the klr for me. same easy maintenance..more suspension..more grunt.

i have a well set up wee...and many buddies have loaned me their gs's...still the klr for me.
  3. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Yes, I checked out the thread.
    He mentions he will be riding with his buddy on a Wr250r and considered one himself.
    I hope he updates his thread on his thoughts between the 2 bikes after some rides.
  5. DPelletier

DPelletier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good post, but you're wasting your breath unfortunately. People either understand that EVERY dual sport is an exercise in compromise thereby realizing that there is no BEST choice, or they don't.

I just finished reading this entire thread and wanted to say I really enjoyed it. I agree with almost everything you and the OP has said. I disagree with the KLR being the bike of choice for an individual is driven primarly by price.

Some background; I have been riding and racing motorcycles for 35 years including a 10 year stint offroad racing. I've done Baja on a KLR and DRZ and have ridden pretty much everywhere on the west coast. My latest bike is my 36th motocycle and I've ridden just about every bike mentioned in these threads including:

- DR350
    - DRZ400
    - DR650
    - KLR650
    - XT600
    - weestrom
    - Versys
    - BMW 1200GS
    - BMW F800GS
    - KTM 950 and 990 adventure
    - KTM 450EXC
    - KTM 640 LC4
    - XR400
    - XR650L
    - XR650R

....and too many dirt bikes to mention. Last year my garage stable consisted of:
    - 1 CRF150F, two KTM200XC's, one KTM300XCW, a CRF250X, a 1st gen KLR650, a Kawasaki Versys, a Ninja 500 and a ZX6R. I sold all of them except the KLR and also purchased a new Harley Electraglide Classic for a 2 up tour of California.

Not to brag, but I can afford to ride any bike I want. Why did I keep the KLR? Well, it is far more capable than the twin cyl euro bikes off road and it's far better on the street than the "dirt bikes with tags" such as the KTM450/500/530 type bikes. The KLR's combination of simplicity, reliability and longevity is unmatched IMO AT ANY PRICE. Is it perfect? No, far from it but most shortcomings are correctible with the vast supply of aftermarket parts available. The number of KLR's produced, the wide sales distribution and the 20 year production run means that it is easier to find parts and repair a KLR than virtually any other bike.

The DR650 was a solid contender as well and is a great choice too, but I wanted the bigger tank, luggage rack, windscreen and liquid cooling of the Kawi.

If I find in the future that my useage is more dirt, harder trails and less hwy, then I would consider a KTM 690, DRZ400 or even a WR250.

If I find that my useage is exclusively dirt except for very short sections of road between them, then I'd get a KTM500EXC.

Anyhow, back to the thread; I look forward to more informative reading.

Cheers,
    Dave
  6. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    That is an intelligent post.Thanks for the contribution.
  7. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy "Round up the usual suspects"

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Great reading (excluding the one TROLL).

Appreciate the insight that everyone has offered.

Ride Safe

:norton
  8. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you are enjoying it.
    Hopefully it will continue on for a long time.
    Maybe I can get out and about this weekend and post up some new Adventure Travel material.
  9. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    The Leo Vince is proving to be a fantastic muffler for the KLR.

I would buy another one tommorow if I needed it.

I have been running the long baffle tube in it without the spark arrestor screen all year.

The other day I installed the spark arrestor screen and the low end torque feels even better now along with a little bit quieter exhaust note, so now I am even happier with it.

Also, if anyone is running this muffler, make sure you periodically remove the 3 Allen bolts holding the end cap on and Antisieze them or you will have problems later trying to remove them.
  10. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    +1

Exactly my thinking too. Unlike the OP I kept the GS. I have a hard time thinking of a stable without a KLR. I have really enjoyed mine and sometimes toy with the idea of trimming the stable down to that one bike.
  11. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    SATURDAY 24 AUGUST 2013

Saturday morning I headed for Southern Ohio and ended up at Pike Lake State Park.

I set up camp and dropped my boxes so I could go over to Pike State Forest ATV Offroad trail system.

The last few years I have been using the compact Big Agnes Seed House single man tent.
    I picked it up cheap on the Flea Market from another inmate and It has served me well.
    It kept me Dry in a downpour last year while camping in Acadia N.P in Maine.
    It is barely big enough,but it packs very light and tight.
    I don't spend much time in the tent,so generally the tradeoff is worth it when I am continually on the move.
    It has one negative though.
    To really be set properly it needs to be staked in many places,so its not as versatile as a true freestanding tent.

[​IMG]

While enroute on the Loneliest Highway (US50) I made a stop at SIEP MOUND.

This is some wild stuff !! I bet you never heard of these guys ?

Seip Mound is the central mound in a group of geometric earthworks. Farming and erosion have degraded the surrounding earthworks leaving the central mound an outstanding feature. It is 240 feet long, 130 feet wide, and 30 feet high. Excavations have revealed that prehistoric Indian buildings existed near the earthworks. Today, visitors can see the location of some of these buildings as they are outlined by short posts in the ground. The Hopewell Indians (100 BC-AD 500) built Seip Mound for burials. This culture had a highly developed craft industry, as is evidenced by artifacts found with bodies in the burial site. Owned by the Ohio Historical Society.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is standing on top of the mound and looking back towards the parking area and US50.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see the two small mounds I am getting ready to walk between.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    PIKE STATE FOREST ATV AREA

The trails here were exciting !!!

I spent a few hours riding most all of them.

They were very hilly with big whoops and rocky sections.

This particular section offered a commanding view of the surrounding Hills and Forest.

[​IMG]

Some of these hills were very steep.
    The pictures never quite portray the inclines the same as you view them in real time.

[​IMG]

The KLR did a magnificent job of tractoring up everything I threw at it.

I'm glad it was dry though, cause I would have been in trouble if it was greasy wet.
  13. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    This was one of two steep hills with whoops every 15 feet that makes for a tough climb.

There were signs at the top and bottom marking these hills as a difficult level.

[​IMG]

This is from the top looking down.

[​IMG]

Before heading back to camp I stopped at Trails End Restaurant @Tanglewood Acres,which is just down the road,for some dinner and coffee.
    Tanglewood Acres is a horse camp.

[​IMG]

Marie Carter is the new owner and she is a very pleasant lady.Her Husband Rich was still finishing up business back in New England so i didn't get to meet him.Next time.
    The food and coffee was very good and priced right.
    I found out later that I could have camped there instead of the State Park,even without a Horse.
    After much conversation and dinner I rode back to camp and sat up talking with 2 recently retired guys from nearby Chillocothe that were set up right across from my spot.
    They had a blazing campfire and were there for the week.
    As I lay in my tent about to fall asleep,I think to myself that I haven't talked that much or long since I can remember.
    Generally I'm not a big talker but the people down here are so friendly and relaxed that you feel right at home.
    Anyway,it is a welcome change from the rat race up North where people are always on defense.
    City life can eat you up !!!
  14. Jaws

Jaws Awesome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gas Guy - absolutely fantastic thread and adventures!

I have to say I'm really envious of your trips. I grew up in Ohio but never can find anyone to venture down there with me. Let me know if you ever want some company. I live just down the road in Westland.
  15. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    For sure, I will get in touch with you when I get back.
    I have not caught up the thread yet, but I am currently in North Carolina via Kentucky and Tennessee.
  16. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    BTW,I grew up in Genoa, Ohio.

Also, if you ever want to get involved in Observed Trials we have alot of events in the area.
    We have 3 events in September.
    You should ride to one and check it out, you might just like it.
    Alot of times guys ride out on their road bikes and watch.
  17. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Another trail shot .

[​IMG]

SUNDAY 25 AUGUST 2013

This morning after breaking camp and heading for breakfast ,I noticed Pike Lake looked fantastic with fog rolling off its surface and the Southern Ohio hills as a backdrop,so I had to stop and get a picture.

[​IMG]
  18. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    After having breakfast and heading for points South I passed the Off Road area on the way out.
    Trails End had all you can eat breakfast and coffee for $5.00.Real food too.

[​IMG]

Shortly after getting back on the road I came across this little guy.He was pretty fresh so must have been hit last night or this morning.Too bad,he was a good looking Coyote.
    I have a soft spot for all dogs.

My friend and Coworker Joe is really fanatical though.
    One spring morning while riding his KLR in to work he observed a young Coyote get clipped by a car in front of him.
    He stopped and found the Coyote was bleeding and in shock so he laid him across his gas tank in front of him and rode
    with the Coyote the remaining 10 miles to work !!!!
    A phone call and that afternoon he handed the dog off to a Coyote rehab center.
    I was there In the morning when he pulled up with him and blood all over the KLR.
    TRUE STORY !!!!

[​IMG]

Next stop is down a little country road called State Route 73 just outside of Peebles,Ohio.

SERPENT MOUND

[​IMG]

Serpent Mound is the world's largest surviving example of an ancient animal effigy mound !!!
    It stretches 1,348 feet over the ground, and the preserved ancient earthwork depicts the form of an undulating serpent with an oval shape at the head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These small roadside attractions are appealing to me.
    Not only are they interesting,but they are also peaceful since there is never a crowd and when your ready to leave you can be back on the road in short order.

[​IMG]

This picture was taken from the tower.

[​IMG]

There is also a very small museum and gift shop on site.

[​IMG]

This is looking back towards the observation tower.
    From the tower you can view the whole Serpent.

[​IMG]

These are more trail shots from Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    CALDERWOOD DAM

This is a scenic overlook viewing Calderwood Dam (Little Tennessee River) on the "Dragon" which is in Tennessee.
    The "DRAGON" (US129) enters North Carolina just before Deals Gap.

[​IMG]

On this map you can see how radical of a road that US129 "The Tail Of The Dragon"actually is !!!

318 curves in 11 miles !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Heres Deals Gap, North Carolina.

[​IMG]

The KLR just slayed the Dragon !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]