The XR400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hayduke, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mooserack

Mooserack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Luke,
    That makes sense, Thanks for the info.
    Pat.
  2. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    I hope that was of some help, the short length of fuel hose on the idle screw makes it easier to adjust...I can even knock it back while riding.
  3. cribaby

cribaby Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

Oddometer:
    I am on my third one and they work very well here in the so cal desert, they seem to wear decent on the street (I don't put alot of pavement miles in though).

It's made for soft/med terrain and therefore it handles the sandy/soft extremely well, but has good tractablity on all types of surfaces. I ripped all of the side knobs off the last one running it hard/fast on rocky/hardpack fire roads, (tire still performed for the remainer of the year).

Charlie
  4. TARider

TARider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. teamxr

teamxr soreass

Oddometer:
    well ive now got over 500 miles on my new to me xr400 and im loving it. tuesday morning i left the Detroit area in search of trails. MY buddy lives up in Traverse city now and rides a xr600 so after a long trip "up north" i was ready for some dirt. and a new seat. 280 miles on pavement went by with no problems. we did a little trail riding and fire roads tuesday night, and yesterday we took off for the whole day. We rode on every thing, from sandy two track to tight single track and at one point the road turned into a creek (well it ended at a creek but "dead end" means nothing) but that was a new surface to ride on so i kept going :D

Over all im very happy with the 400. my only problem so far has been when she gets real warm the trans gets very clunky and 4th gear is not to happy. every now and than it would pop out of fourth right after i shift. I need to adjust the clutch before we head out to the orv trails today but any help would be great. any one else have this happen after a long day of riding? this did not start untill well after 8 hours on the bike.
  6. Factory Phil

Factory Phil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What mirrors and mounts did you use?

Thanks.

7. Factory Phil

Factory Phil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all-

Does any know of a source for a lowering link on the rear suspension for the XR400? I really like the bike, but its awfully high in the rear.

Thanks
  8. SwitchThrottle

SwitchThrottle Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer:
    Mine has a little play, but not much. Pull it off and make sure the output splines are not showing signs of wear. After washing down the bike from a ride put a little shot of WD40 on sprocket to disperse any water and "lube" it. WD on the chain is up to you, and depends on the chain you are running. I have heard arguments for and against it.

As a point of reference, a buddy of mine managed to strip the splines on his 300ex. Rather than crack the case, he opted to weld on a steel sprocket and address the issue when the engine needed a complete overhaul. Been like that for over 6 years (and a few thousand miles) now.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i have a new silver devol for sale.
    pm me if interested
  10. TARider

TARider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Woo hoo! 2 weeks until I am crossing the border into Mexico on my XR4! The problem is that it still isnt street legal, no plates, nothing!
  12. old brooklyn boy

old brooklyn boy Talking Dog

Oddometer:
    XRSonly have one. I am only 5'5" and I liked the way the bike handles the only problem I had (aside from starting it) was when I came to a stop. Make sure the sag is set for you that helps a lot. The link lowered it about 3/4 to an inch. Lowered the front enough to compensate for the change. Lower but didn't like the way it handled. Took out the link and gutted the seat. Put in closed cell foam that followed the contour of the seat pan instead of going level tank to tail. Can get on the balls of my feet and the bike feels great. You stand up more than you sit down on the bike anyway.
    Alfred

13. mommer

mommer bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer:

change your oil?? or use diffrent??:dunno
  14. old brooklyn boy

Oddometer:
    I find that my bike is good around town but Straining on the Highway. Are you using the recommended plug for extended high speed riding then switching for dirt. You might consider switching sprockets too. How is your oil level. Did you check it Post Slab? Hopefully you have a clutch to adjust.
    Alfred
  15. old brooklyn boy

Oddometer:
    Hey Mullet,
    Lowering link on ebay now.
    Alfred

16. Car Sun Key

Car Sun Key Pick a direction and go

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 03 xr400. Pretty much mint condition. Was a little concerned on purchase (coming off of a xr650L) in that it didn't feel like it had a whole lot of compression. The decompression lever seems to do nothing so I'm thinking that the automatic decompression is what is doing it?

Anyone have any insight on this? Maybe I just haven't had a kick start bike in a while but it sure is easy to kick. Starts and runs great...

Picked it up on Friday, put 50mi of hard trails on it. Everything else seems brand new.
  17. Car Sun Key

Oddometer:
    I have a new in box lowering link I bought from xrs only for my xr650l that i never installed Just picked up a xr400 for trails so I don't need it for the 650 as it will be a road queen now....

Pretty sure it's the same fit but if you check on that I'm sure we can work something out.
  18. Dave37

Dave37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to check the VIN because I'm pretty sure the XR400 was discontinued in 2005.
  19. Car Sun Key

Oddometer:
    Ooops, it's a 2003 :rofl
  20. old brooklyn boy

Oddometer:
    Do a compression test and see how much you have then do a leak down test and see where it's going.
    Alfred