Sierra Nevada Foothill Rides - San Andreas to Oakhurst

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Odin69, Jun 24, 2010.

1. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    We fly the rescue helo up there and in your area, the snow is not at all thick right now in riding elevations.
    I'm sure that is about to change though. We picked that knucklehead lost hiker up last week at 12,000, it was just a dusting up there.
  2. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will have a good time on the BMW ride, Tanner always puts on a good show!! Wouldn't worry too much about the Tiger, I am sure they'll let you ride.!!!!.so you with the Sheriffs S&R? I have worked on fixed wing stuff (Boeing and MD) for a long time and have always wanted to learn the helio's, used to fly remote control helios but kept crashing????

Have a good ride tomorrow and perhaps we can ride one of these weekends before too long
    :Dl
  3. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    I contract with the CHP. Came from a long ride in the airlines (AA) before I found helos and the freedom they provide. We work very close with the Sherriff's dept, great bunch of people.

Im looking forward to the ride with Tanner, almost bought a Husky from him last year but got offered a closeout price that I couldn't resist near my dads place in Prescott.

Would love to ride.
  4. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    McKay, I too will be riding along with the BMW group.
    Yellow Suzuki DRZ is mine.
    [​IMG]

My buddy Heck standing next to his huge R1200GS had a hell of a time on one section of rode that day. All brands of bikes are welcome on those BMW group rides.

[​IMG]
  5. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    I look forward to meeting you. Do you know if the meeting is at the old gas station on the West side or the new big one on the East?

Ive got a Husky 449 I considered taking but its really a dirt bike with plate, not at all fun on the hi-way and fuel range is very limited.
    I need to see what the Tiger (or me) can do anyhow. Tanner says its an easy ride.
  6. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
  7. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to meet you Joe, had a great ride, well, most of us did!
    Need to head out again soon before its all snowed over.
  8. Daryl D

Daryl D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say I had a great time on the ride also. I thought it went very and it was fun. This was the first time I have gone on a shop ride with the BMW group.

Good to meet you Joe and Jeff

Let me know when you want to ride again

Daryl

(I was on the Yamaha WR250R)
  9. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to meet you too!

(Was on the Tiger)

Im good most times, also have a Husky 449 in the garage that is more inline with the WR.

Was wondering yesterday when I got home, how's the mileage on your bike? Looked like you had the stock tank still on.
  10. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    So how hard is it to get a 1200GS upside down like that. :lol3
    Was the guy trying to check the oil or what??
    Hope he was ok,
  11. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    To Jeff, the tank on my DRZ400s is a Clark tank that will hold 4 gallons of fuel. On the road I can get over 60mpg at 55-60mph. In the woods over 50 for sure.
    You must have enjoyed those knobbies yesterday. Yes they do make a difference. But you'll kill them on the pavement. Especially the front in my case. But hey that's price we pay for traction in the dirty bits.

To Bob, the rider was fine. But difficult to position a GS that way. Not a finger was lifted though. Rider just got the front of his suit dirty. We all could laugh about it afterwards. How it managed to end up like that is a one in a million shot. I think he should go buy a lotto ticket. He lost control on what appeared to be solid ground with no rocks. The direction of travel was perpendicular to the bike's resting position. The handlebars dug in and with just enough momentum the bike started to flip but stayed up as pictured. The tail luggage gave it a nice solid and flat footing. Weird doesn't describe it.
  12. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I had to do a double take when I arrived, then after it registered in my pea brain I started looking for what I thought was going to be a very injured rider. He was fine but told me later his pride was hurt :rofl

Joe, you had enough fuel for the whole gang yesterday, I was wondering about the WR tank, it looked awful small.
  13. Mr B

Mr B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys looked like you had a good ride despite the inverted maneuvering, we all have days we just can't explain!

Thinking about riding Wednesday before the weather turns, anyone interested I am up for most anything but was thinking about a little recon work around Anderson Flats area and Yosemite NP area!
    :D
  14. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking about riding Wednesday before the weather turns, anyone interested I am up for most anything but was thinking about a little recon work around Anderson Flats area and Yosemite NP area!
    :D[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention Anderson Flats, I was there yesterday. In the shady spots not much dust, allmost damp, in sunny spots there was a little dust. Went from Sonora to Buck Meadows via Clavey River Canyon. Lunch at Buck Meadows then up to Trumbull Peak, down to Groveland, Wards Ferry Rd. back to Sonora. Fun day.

LaPorte
  15. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tony I am up for a good ride.
  16. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gary

I am leaving for Baja tomorrow on a 8 to 10 day trip. A group of 12 younger guys did a kick ass, 9 day ride in Baja. They went from Catavina to Cabo Pulmo. They will fly back on Tuesday. Myself and tow others and flying down tomorrow and driving the chase vehicles/trailes/bikes back to the bay area. I am to old to be invited on serrious ride's like this one, but I still can dirve the trucks back. So it's SEA FOOD and BEER for a few days. That's not too bad!!!!!!!! Oh and the young rider are paying for our trip.
    When I get back let's talk!!!!!!

Tony
  17. Daryl D

Daryl D Adventurer

Oddometer:

Jeff,

The WR does have the stock tank. It holds 1.9 gal. I tested it soon after I got it and ran it dry. I got 122 miles before it died. I ran it like normal not trying to baby it for best gas mileage with some highway some fireroad.
    I get somewhere around 61 MPG.
    I usually carry two metal fuel bottles of 30oz. This gives me another 28 miles.

Daryl
  18. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's pretty good! Its the same as my Husky but I only get about 75 per tank, I do have an external tank now that gives me almost another gallon.

We should put something together soon.
  19. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    Jeff, PM me with your phone number.
  20. McKay

McKay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Done