Indian Hot Springs: Five ride into Idaho's most inaccessible river

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Jason Abbott, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Nice one - thanks.
  2. Jason Abbott

Jason Abbott Long time Idaho rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Ladybug. Looks like weekends are starting to fill up over here with a variety of group ride options now. Hurray. :clap

Hope to see you over in Enterprise. That trip will probably be up in the air until the last minute for us, with kids and all. We'll do our best!

3. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    Not to mention your flapping tent which sounded like some kind of foley studio (woosh, wap, swish-swish-swish). :lol3 I didn't get the tent pond but Agnes saved me from some puddles as well. Always an adventure out there. It'll be a sad RR without rain and scary rocks.
  4. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow....
    i almost missed this
    JASON.... a fantastic ride report
    awesome photography
    so very well done
    PERFECT

thanks for sharing
  5. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:

Yes it was an interesting ride; I so wish there had been a picture of you holding onto that big GS for dead life on the edge of the bridge.:deal Really would be a difficult one to explain to the insurance company.... can here it now Where is the bike???? You do know the tow truck would charge extra... just to get there:D

You were lucky man. Great report.
  6. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was just starting out as a geologist I spent quite some time around Brunneau and Murphy doing mineral exploration. Lots of emptiness and peace.
  7. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    Is there a book or two you'd recommend for the layman to understand local formations?
  8. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    I came across this little tid-bid of information. Thought it interesting enough to share. in the end of the clip is a Cowboy/Ranch Owner who wrote a book some years ago about the history of the area Titled "Owyhee Trails: The West's Forgotten Corner" His name is Mike Hanley I've meet the guy; you may remember my talking to the locals last year about him at the JV Cafe.

Book has some interesting and colorful history on the area. I am so glad you didn't drop your GS in the Bruneau..... Loooooonnnnnnnnggggggg walk out.:D

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZBBOZCFMrng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remember. Great tip. I'd like to see the rest of the video. I've put the book on my purchase list over at Amazon. I look forward to reading it. Thanks!
  10. drex

drex So Cal

Oddometer:
    Beautiful images, mellifluous narrative - thanks!
  11. pgup

pgup Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report would like to go there. Did you guys soak in the springs. Also does the water have mineral smell?
  12. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roadside Geology of Idaho. Not sure of the author as there is a series of those on different states. Also, American Association of Petroleum Geologists has a roadmap that also has the geology on it. Probably get it off thier website.
  13. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Very well done. Writing and photo skills to be admired - seriously! :clap
  14. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Here's the Roadside book at Amazon. I was riding some terrain yesterday scattered with automobile sized rocks that looked like raisins from a distance, and up close, like someone had used mortar to clump together soccer ball sized rocks.

15. Jason Abbott

Oddometer:
    Only one of us, Ryan, made an effort at soaking. The river is running high and the usual hot/cold mix spots are submerged. I didn't notice a smell, though I didn't spend time in the water. And I had a cold.