Black River Stages 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by poondangle, Aug 6, 2013.

1. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Was wondering when you would get off your ass and enter! :deal

I am considering the "Happy Hollow" campground. Not too far from Croghan where day 1 is based but a bit far from Harrisville. I am thinking I might stay there Friday night.

http://happyhollowcg.com/

I am thinking saturday night I might just sleep in my van in the service area assuming they don't run me out after the rally is done.
  2. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
  3. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys should try to get a hold of John Wernsdorfer. He'd know or may let you camp on his property. He's the local dude that raced.

And holy shit:huh

Man, I was pissed with my 3K bill.............ain't gonna cry about that anymore. So sorry about your crash and that bill. man, I hope you get hit with a truckload of good news today:freaky
  4. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    According to the doc, my bone is healing at an average to above average rate. Now I have a goal to look forward to, in 6 weeks, I get to lift 5 whole pounds!

The only truckload I got hit with was one of the ambulance rides (yes, just one of the two) was $1300. Not bad for 30 minutes. Funny thing is that the ambulance company is one of my customers, and they call and complain about every single invoice I've ever sent them. All I can say is that payback is hell :lol3

I also made the hospital itemize my bill. Apparently, it took $2700 worth of drill bits to drill the holes for $2800 worth of screws. I'll never complain about the high price of metric fasteners for my bikes again.

Oh, and if you really get in a pinch on that $3K bill, you can sell 5 inches of leg bone for $3300. Why do I know that? I paid $3300 for 5 inch of cadaver bone.
  5. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I have been wondering what the bill for my crash would have been like. All my bills went straight to the insurance company so I never saw them. With 2 surgeries, 10 or so doctor visits, 1 MRI, 3 x-rays, and around 50 physical-therapy appointments I figure it added up.

Yes, going to be much more careful this time :eek1

Anyway...

After looking at the map I am realizing that the Happy Hollow campground looks like it is an even better location than the 1000 Islands we used to stay at. Back when service and the finish were at 1000 Islands it was great but now that service and finish for day 1 are in Croghan I think this is the way to go, less than 1/2 the distance.

Only downside is it is a long drive from Harrisville so post-party is an issue... however what I did a couple years ago is just sleep in the van in the parking lot outside the fire station where the party was.
  6. Locker43

Locker43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone needs a dual 8", HID Baja Designs set up I have one for sale. $500.
    Trust me, it's enough light to win!
  7. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    How about you come up north and use them to show us how its done!
  8. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

1 dual setup or 1 light?
  9. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    The problem with those kinds of charges is that they are absolutely divorced from reality. The whole construct is based around healthcare insurance companies creating artificial "value", and the system, according to one recent study, spills about 75% of its total intake funds directly to the insurance companies, and not the hospitals/doctors/nurses/paramedics/etc.

There is no possible way that your hospital stay and surgery *actually* cost $50,000 dollars, it's just completely off-the-charts insane. And we wonder why healthcare is bankrupting the nation? Because it's bloody corrupt.

Conspiracy rant over.

dc
  10. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Amen, brother!

Make sure you all finish!
  11. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Continuing on the US health care scam... My mom had a brain tumor rear it's ugly self when she was in Germany on vacation. Four nights in ICU, one CAT scan, three MRI's, brain surgery to remove two tumors and a total of three weeks in the hospital. Her bill was $21,000 US dollars. If this had taken place in the US the bill would have been in excess of 100k. Since returning she has had consultations and treatment for one smaller remaining tumor. One MRI with sedation in the US was $19,500.
  12. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't you be saying "we all" instead of "you all"? Hey wait, I still don't see you on the entry list :ddog
  13. operose

operose Mama tried

Oddometer:
    Cranberry Lake Campground is about 40miles away, there is also the tent space thread if people are having trouble finding places to sleep. There is also quite a bit of state land around Harrisville area that you could camp at without much chance of being hassled. Head over to Bonaparte's Cave State Forest, real close to Hville, check the map.

Wish I could be racing with the DRZ but hopefully next year. Good luck everybody, ride fast!! :)
  14. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    :Gah. :argh i know im trying to clear the schedule!
  15. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    A rallymoto isn't a rallymoto without Stagehand there.
  16. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    I happen to know a med-evac helicopter flight from service to a big, fancy hospital 60 miles away costs $19,000...in 2009 dollars.

:deal
  17. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    :eyes

Andrew you were quite inspirational, the first time we met, when you ride your 1150 over from new ampsha, and kicked my butt on it, then rode it home :bow

I was never brave enough to ride to the rally :D
  18. FreeTheBeast

Oddometer:
    I considered doing that again this year on my F800GS. But I'll take a more comfortable means of getting there and run the 450. Night stages and cool weather will make the van much more appreciated.

:freaky
  19. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    OK, went ahead and booked Fri+Sat nights at the "Happy Hollow Campground". Anybody else staying there? Would be nice to have a couple beers with other racers. Just got a fridge for my van to keep them nice and cold :freaky
  20. scholz

scholz bush league

Oddometer:
    Clearview motel still has rooms available. I will be staying there. Located in Governeur 17 miles north of Harrisville.

Too bad the 1000 island campground is closed. It was nice to have a group of us together around the fire last year.