Panhandle Old Guys

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by ElusivePedro, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Insomnia ain't something I deal with on a regular basis (thankful for that), but I do get to experience it on occasion, and it truly sux. Woke up at 2:45, and am so wide awake I figured I might as well get up. My dad deals with this all the time, it'd drive me batshit crazy.

Had a good time at Singletrackjeff's shindig yesterday evening, he had the place Well. Lit. Up.
    [​IMG]

Live music was provided by a d00d who sounded just like Jimmy Buffett, and he sang a buncha Buffett songs too. Jeff, you sure know how to throw a party. Right on!:thumb
    [​IMG]
  3. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    Jeff, looks like you all had a grand evening. We were in St Petersburg at the boat show from Thursday-Saturday. Then drove back 8 hours woo woo

Got to meet Mr Garhauer and spend some money. Then connected with John Kretschmer for a possible passge.
  4. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
  5. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Remember Uncle Mickey and Dad talking about their Christmas memories when they were young boys.
    Dad said he might get a orange or maybe a candy stick for Christmas during the Depression.
    Uncle Mickey cracked us up telling us that if he didn't wake up Christmas morning with a hard on that he wouldn't have anything to play with.

They're gone now and I miss them.
  6. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    We were not poor but not rich enough to have toys during the year. birthdays and Christmas was it. Sooo it was a big deal for me and my brother.
    We went through the Sears catalog and picked out our Big Present and then several smaller ones (always keeping in mind lower cost meant a possibility of actually getting the toy), Mom would do her "lay away" plan and pay a little out of each Friday paycheck. Sometimes she would use her "Green Stamps" or her stamps from Raleigh cigarettes (pack a day easy). Then there was the "Christmas Club" dad had at work that paid off each year. Remember there were no credit cards to allow you to spend what you did not have.

Christmas morning meant super early rise by banging on parents bedroom wall and waiting while mother got her coffee and dad got the Brownie Super 8 wound up tight.

My brother and I waited and punched each other giggling with anticipation.

Bless them both, Mom and Dad always made sure we had a great Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all you POGs out there young and old...
  7. Davebert

Davebert Too damn serious!

Oddometer:
    We had a large family. There were 9 kids. You should have seen the '66 Pontiac Star Chief 4 door loaded for a family vacation. :d My dad had Pontiac Catalina 2 door for his work car. That replaced the Rambler station wagon with the push button transmission. Christmas had to be tough feeding all of us and then buying us gifts too. We were always well taken care of and happy though. Of course the neighbor across the street had grandpa who owned the Ford dealership so they got much better gifts like a Honda Trail 70 and a new Pinto. Arrgghh! (they were spoiled) :evil The company Christmas party for my dad's job also handed out a stocking with candy and nuts and we got a gift from a large table at the end of the party based on age/gender by handing the person behind the table our ticket. Good times, great memories.
  8. Woods Rider

Woods Rider X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer:
    On Christmas eve we would all (about 30 of us) gather at my uncles house and wait for Santa Claus to visit. Afterwards we would go home so my three big brothers and I could hit the sack.

Meanwhile, my parents best friends Uncle Marvin and Aunt Pat would show up down stairs and have a party as my dad and Marvin assembled bikes, sleds, trains or whatever else we expected Santa might bring that year.

Christmas morning my brothers and I would become absolutely stir crazy waiting for the "ok" to come downstairs and see what came that night. My dad would take forever to shave and be ready to go so we could ascend to the tree.

I have to admit as a father of three grown men, I truly enjoyed driving my sons crazy on Christmas morning, being slow and taking forever to given them permission to come downstairs and see what Santa brought them..

Ahhhhh memories.
  9. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    That's why Christmas needs little ones. We don't have anyone to wait for Santa so we all meet at given time. Open presents and have breakfast. Not the same without a little one around.

Still a great time of the year.
  10. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very true, Vic. Since my son is grown and my daughter is in her late teens, the past few Christmas mornings, I've gotten up and been drinking coffee and watching the news when everybody else finally stumbles into the den.
  11. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Memories of Christmas are many and mostly all good.
    Our family tradition began on Christmas Eve while watching TV reports of Santa get closer and closer to Stumpfield Road.

Dad would finally tell Connie and I that we better hurry and get in the bed before Santa got here.......so we did and its wasn't long before we heard a bunch of beatin and bangin with Dad finally hollering for us to come see what Santa had brought us.
    A BB gun was always a big favorite of mine and would sleep with it that night. Next morning was spend either at our house with family or traveling to another relative to have Christmas at their home and open more presents.

Took my Grandaughter to the Christmas Parade in Pensacola last night. Being a resident of Pensacola all my life,,,my folks took me and Connie,,,,Sherry and I took our kids when they were little and now I'm taking my Grandaughter.
    Life is mostly good!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FmVSV3KtH9U?list=UUtkImGnFD4D_MJksjsSKt-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. Davebert

Oddometer:
    <div style='background-color:#e9e9e9; -moz-border-radius: 10px;border-radius:10px;width: 567px;'><object id='A64060' quality='high' data='http://static.jibjabcdn.com/sendables/1233b57f/client/zero/ClientZero_EmbedViewer.swf?external_make_id=eMvZhraiRBm6vQOrk2CmxQ&service=www.jibjab.com&partnerID=holidays' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='transparent' height='319' width='567'><param name='wmode' value='transparent'></param><param name='movie' value='http://static.jibjabcdn.com/sendables/1233b57f/client/zero/ClientZero_EmbedViewer.swf?external_make_id=eMvZhraiRBm6vQOrk2CmxQ&service=www.jibjab.com&partnerID=holidays'></param><param name='scaleMode' value='showAll'></param><param name='quality' value='high'></param><param name='allowNetworking' value='all'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='FlashVars' value='cornerRadius=10&external_make_id=eMvZhraiRBm6vQOrk2CmxQ&service=www.jibjab.com&partnerID=holidays'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param></object><div style='text-align:center;margin-top:6px;'>Personalize funny videos and birthday <a href='http://www.jibjab.com/ecards?utm_campaign=Link+from+Embed&utm_medium=Share&utm_source=JibJab' title='eCards'>eCards</a> at JibJab!</div></div>

:deal
    Love,
    Davebert :D
  13. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    You'll shoot yer eye out!

Didn't realize my ears were so big! :eek1 where'd that pic come from??
  14. Davebert

Oddometer:
    Those are fake ears. Pic from TT. :D
  15. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    :lol3 didn't think I recognized them dumbo ears

you know where that pic came from? I need a new profile pic :rofl
  16. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    MANY pounds of BB's blasted,,,,and no eyes shot out or hospital visits required.

Now sling shots, lawn darts/ sharp darts, cherry bombs/silver salutes and arrows were a different matter.
  17. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    I have a story about an epic sling shot battle between warring neighbor kids but it too long for here.

It involves 10+ kids on each side. Wooden sling shots using chinaberries. No eyes were put out but there was a broken arm and lots of bruises and large whelps, and of course pain and punishment after from dad...

Ahhh those were the days. I was 9 or 10.

BTW - eye protection! What - not even thought of back then.
  18. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Vic, we'da been powerful allies in our younger days. :thumb
  19. Davebert

Oddometer:
    I guess you would know if they were real or not. :evil I can find that pic again if you really need a new profile pic. :D (or make a few adjustments and make it even better) :deal
  20. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    shouldn't you be doing something else right now? :D

yea I need a new eharmony mugshot :shog:getiton