Ktm 990?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by turbojet, Nov 7, 2012.

1. fredN4

fredN4 Adventurer

Oddometer:

If those are your angst you are in the wrong room. Stick with your beemers.
  2. zen rider

zen rider veteran rider

Oddometer:
    True. I have an '08 990 Adv and the throttle WAS snatchy. Two cheap cures for snatchy throttle on '08 and older 990s and they each work: 1) G2 Throttle cam (400 size), 2) TuneECU (cable about $65, free software, free maps).

Yes, I did also buy a fuel pump rebuild kit to PREVENT a known problem (cost about $120).

My seat is a Renazco and it's pretty good overall. Not a Russell Day Long, but I can ride pain-free for a 6 hour day. After that minor discomfort.

As you know from your test ride the 990 has balls. The F800GS felt barely quicker than my V-Strom 650. My 990 feels about as fast as a V-Strom 1000, maybe slightly quicker. I think the KTM 990 Adventure is a great used bike buy compared to say a Tiger 800XC or Super Tenere.
  3. Wantajustride

Wantajustride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep the Tenere. Unless it just doesn't meet your needs. It's a great ADV/Touring machine. I have 9-10,000 miles on mine and very happy.

However,,,, I do love my 2012 990R. ADV. I bought it without hesitation. I didn't even get a test ride the bike or throw a leg over the saddle before buying mine. I had the dealer find one and had the deal signed before seeing the bike. I will admit I was concerned about seat height, but I figured if I could get along on my 690 I'd do OK with the 990R.

They are two bikes on completely different ends of the spectrum for two different specific riding conditions and styles.
    Hopefully you end up with the 990 it's a very fun bike.

WJR
  4. ShopBoy

ShopBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my experience, the problems with the 990 arise when it is used as a 1000cc bush basher, and/or home maintenance is done. My 2010 990 is a wonderful machine, and after owning a BMW, I wouldn't go back.

If you abuse any machine it'll break, whatever it is....

I now have the suspension set so it is superbly comfy on the highway, and very competent (much more than the rider) on the rough.

My experience is that the 990 is more comfy on the tarmac than the BMW, and why is it that BMW have such shit seats? I'm a big tall man and I don't have trouble with comfort or buffeting.

I have not had any issues with my KTM, and if you disconnect the brown wires (or put in a switch) under the seat you'll get more even power delivery down low and better fuel economy.

In this context though, why not try the new 2013 model.

At least take a look......
  5. Jonny955

Jonny955 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I was wondering whether to try this trick. I suppoise I could ask you what the differences are but I should really just find our myself. I tend to use the lower revs more, especially when commuting

It sounds as if you have tried this and certainly for more than one or two rides. If that ios the case, please spill the beans!

Jon
  6. Podman

Podman Rocketman Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a ST and a KTM990SMT. End of Sept took a 2700 mile bike trip took the KTM:evil great fun. The ST is more comfortable, feels better balanced, shift/works/runs much better but the KTM has so much more soul. Bottom line is I could live with either of them it's a coin flip.
  7. everetto

everetto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it. Decisions, decisions........
  8. turbojet

turbojet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies. I am probably going to spring for a 2012 990 this week. My only angst was leaving the BMW fold which has served me well for more than 25 years. Overall I think I'm really going to like the 990 for combined on and off road riding. Anyone think I should hold out for the new 1190? It looks more like a GS 1100 to me, which I've had off road experience with, and in my experience more biased to the tarmac. :ear
  9. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's only 2 reasons I can think of to wait for the 2013 and those would be to be first and if you like all the electronics they are going to have.

I got all 3 of my bikes when I did to not have all the electronics. I have a sneaking feeling that the free Tune ECU that we use on the 990 will not be applicable to the 1190 and will leave you at the mercy of the dealership.

I hope I'm wrong, but with traction and suspension control now on the bikes I wouldn't hold my breath and it's something to keep in mind.
  10. zen rider

zen rider veteran rider

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'd either buy a slightly used 990 Adventure for way less than new, or a new 2013 1190 Adventure. Then again I didn't have the cash to buy brand new. The re-sale on the 2012 could tank an extra grand immediately once the new one's arrive. Plus, as a road bike I would prefer the smaller 19" spoked wheel, particularly if it is tubeless. On the street the 990 has some balls but is pretty limp compared to a Multistrada 1200S. Lets be honest the 990 dynos at about 90hp at the rear wheel stock, which is down about 40+ rwhp to the Multi 1200. The new 1190 will fill a gap between the 990A and Multistrada 12 in terms of power, handling, and versatility. The 1190 will compete with the liguid cooled GS12 and should beat down the S10.

2013 Over Weight Adventure Bikes:
    Triumph Explorer 1200XC
    Super Tenere

Lighter Big Bores:
    2013 DL1000 (prices not yet released but 12K could be an estimate)
    2013 Multistrada 1200 with active suspension
    2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
    2013 BMW R1200GS liquid cooled (should weigh less than S10 and Explorer)

Great year to be in the market.
  11. turbojet

turbojet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I jumped in and just made a down payment on a 2012 KTM 990. I really wanted a bike that was the last of its generation and I try not to buy first gen bikes as they usually have issues that need to be worked out. My last big dual sport bike was a final year BMW 1100GS (right before they came out with the 1150GS). Thanks for all the good advice and I'm looking forward to get a lot of riding in this year, though it can be iffy here in Oregon. Plus I'm downsizing to one do-it- all bike for the first time (I'll be keeping my Ural Gear-Up as well). Cheers!:clap