Motion Pro bead breaker & tire iron tool

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eakins, Dec 6, 2012.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    sweet combo tool for off-road and dual-sport riding.

breaking the bead can be a challenge.
    if you have a friend you can use their kickstand on your wheel, but what if you're alone?

i have a bead breaker tool that is a plastic wedge. it works but you need a hammer or a rock and it's kinda brutal as you need to whack the crap outt of it many times before the bead pushes away from the rim. these levers are 1/2 the size of this too.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/995/36695/ITEM/Motion-Pro-Bead-Popper.aspx

there are other bead breaker clamp designs out there but these are heavy and bulk to bring with you. they work great for home use.
    i also have a harbor freight tubeless tire changer & bar system. this is my go to at home, but these 2 levers are ideal on the road.

this is a nice simple 2 piece lever system

it's pricey but they did it right and used top shelf alum. for weight and strength.
    i'll be getting a set at some point soon.
    http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0519/

i also use this to keep my work area clean on the road
    http://www.trailmasteradventures.com/mat.html

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MK75j2N3QmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the last 40 years I have had my share of flat tires. I don't recall breaking the bead afterwards to ever be a problem. Seems like the bead is usually already broken by the time I get the bike stopped. Now that time that happened at about 70MPH, well that was a little more exciting than I care to repeat any time soon.

Walter
  3. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Would have been nice if the video actually showed you how they worked, rather than just staring at them for 46 seconds. :deal
  4. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
  5. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the BeadPros- they work well on the 21" on the front of my 950, not very well at all on the 159/70-18 on the back. Even though I removed the safety bead on the inside of the rim to facilitate road-side tube swaps, I still have to use the centerstand/sidestand trick to break the bead.

So, in my real-world experience, it's a draw. Smaller wheels? Say, what you would find on a dedicated or plated dirt bike/dual sport? Sure. Big Bike? Better confirm whether they'll work for you BEFORE you have to depend on it.
  6. Herr Bae M. Vae

Herr Bae M. Vae Insurgent Squirrel

Oddometer:
    So we have one less than enthusiastic endorsement. Anyone else actually had the pleasure of using these to break the bead on a rear tire?
  7. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant see what these have over std irons?
  8. fatboy

fatboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not as good as others in fixing flats. For me these irons would mean I could leave my bead breaker home and carry fewer tools.
  9. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
    +1
  10. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    If you are alone you carry a little A frame support to replace the removed wheel and use your own kickstand. $15 worth of heavy alumnum angle.
  11. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got a set in the shop to test out. I tried them on many different wheels. I was even able to pop the bead off a Harley tire with them. It was not easy or quick but it was doable. I just changed the rear tire on a TW200 and it's ATV style with a large bead lock lip. Once again, not easy, but I managed it. With dirtbike tires, it makes the job quick and easy.

I now own a set of BeadPros. :clap
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    thanks for the feedback.

i have looked and still can't find a video of anyone actually using a bead pro in action.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    this seems more of a shop tool kinda tool.
    for the shop you'll want any tool or advantage you can have at your disposal.
    some beads are brutal to break and larger bead breaking specific tools really help here.

it's not about toughing out what you have and making work, but rather using all the tools to make your job easier.
    if these are faster then taking the tire bead breaker tool (you keep the tire on the changing stand the whole time) then they are a valuable tool to a shop. start with these and then move to the big breaker if need be.

on the trail, you need to keep tools and weight to a minimum so maybe these are overkill.

they still seem to offer a nice leverage tool to get the job done either way and could match up with 1 more tire iron to give you 3 irons. if you already have 3 irons and know how to break a bead with them no worries. if you're new to this and buying tools for the 1st time then these could make a great option to help you along. using 3 irons at once for noobs can be harder to do so this tool is welcomed. if you're a old pro then continue with what you do.

I'm always looking for new tools and easy ways of getting things done.
    I plan on getting a set for shop use at some point...who knows it must just end up going out with me on rides and pulling out 2 of the 3 levers plus the wedge bead whacker i have in the kit now. at home, these plus a tire changing stand are look to be key to easily change tires.
  15. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are more trail tools then shop tools. At the shop, I use my HF bead breaker to pop the bead, then larger tire spoons MP 08-0409 to spoon off the tires. The BeadPros are not that easy on the hands when spooning.

On the trail, the BeadPros are great. I don't have to put the KTM on the centre stand, lean the bike over and pop the bead using the side stand. All while hoping I don't drop the bike.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  17. dantroop

dantroop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used these to remove the saharas on my xchallenge. 1st time changing tubed tires. I put a set of heides on. The levers are strong and light. Between the Heide's heavy sidewall and my inexpierence, I was really working on them. I also have a 14" iron I used to help the rear tire on. I'll b ordering the MP tire spoon with a 27mm end. The bead breakers and the spoon should work nicely.
  18. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the HF tire changing stand with bead breaker, but I don't have the motorcycle adaptor. I just use the stand part for car and ATV tires since they are the only ones that will fit.

If I can get my knee on the tire to hold it down, two tire spoons is all I really need. It just takes practise. On a stand, a 3rd spoon is required.

Since we are on the subject of handy tire tools, here is another.

[​IMG]

It's the K&L Tire Tamer. If you have a problem getting the valve stem in and end up with bloody knuckles, this tool really works. It's not something for taking on the trail due to the size, but it's a great shop tool.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that is a great tool. i own that one too.
  20. alskee750

alskee750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me what is the length of the bead pro? I looked online but no one not even Motion Pro states it. They just say its light weight, compact?