Hand on knee question

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Biomed Guy, Jul 11, 2014.

1. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    I use Norton 360 and it didn't say a thing. But then I once linked to a webpage from here, which Norton claimed was OK, and got temp banned for bad code so...

best beware of linking...
  2. florabama rider

florabama rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a whole thread named "Fucking Harleys" in Jo Momma". This ought to tell you something. :evil
  3. aalexander

aalexander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dunno. You saying that it isn't? What's your basis? I have no idea myself, and I hadn't heard of this until I opened up his thread, but it seems like The OP has noticed riders making a point of doing this, so the article seems to be consistent with what he's observed.

And for those telling him stop obsessing about it, He's not. The op noticed a phenomena he didn't understand and asked about it. That's not obsessing.

What do I know, though? I ride in Alaska and almost everyone waves, including Pirates and crotch rocketeers. I do the noob/geek wave, but I do it with both arms simultaneously. I've crashed a couple of times because of that but it's a small price to pay for communicating my enthusiasm.

I'm thinking of getting two of those spring mounted neon plastic "waving hands" and attaching them to my milk crate so everyone gets waved at.
  4. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    First things first, second things second, make me feel welcome but don't kill yourself bro!
  5. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My favorite is the raised arm peace sign.

I don't over think this, if it's safe, i'll wave however the hell i feel like waving. Otherwise i just give them a 'whats up' nod.

I even get waves from chicks in jeeps.:lol3

:lol3
  6. CharlieT

CharlieT old school

Oddometer:
    I've noticed that over the years. Here in Michigan, virtually everyone on any kind of a bike from November thru March that is on a bike waves at any other bike that they may encounter. Only hardcore riders are on the road that time of year and there seems to be a mutual respect for each other.
  7. Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point Lengthy Member

Oddometer:
    I've started doing the making a sign of the cross thing like I'm blessing them. It has gotten a few double takes. I'm hoping it takes off as the latest fad.
  8. VTphoneman

VTphoneman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've given up waving to non-helmet wearers, cruiser or sport bike. Not enough return.

The ones that blew me away was during bike week and about 3 different cruisers waving across the median on the highway. I felt bad they surprised me so much I didn't get a wave off.

Edit: I do also try to wave to scooter riders as often as I can, hope it makes up a little for all the flack they might take.
  9. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or Canada.

Same thing.
  10. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Anytime I see a bike that is better than mine, which is most since I ride a DR650, I do the "jazz-hands" thing. I take both hands off the bars and wave them wildly. Seems to make me feel better if no one else. Thanks for listening and I hope that helps, indeedy!
  11. scotteroni

scotteroni Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stopped worrying about hand wave manners 60,000 miles ago.
  12. BeemerBT

BeemerBT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I not only wave to everybody, but I also yell to ask them what kind of oil they use.

Sent from this little square thing that makes noises and lights up.
  13. 390beretta

390beretta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like to wave, but it must be done in a "cool" manner: Proper cool wave is to drop the left hand from the grip, now lower than the grip and extend your index finger, or your index finger and the next finger (important not to extend the next finger by itself). But hey, let's just get it out in the open: Most Harley riders are Dicks. They're almost all really old, don't wave, mostly because they're afraid to take one hand off the handlebars. They're also really shitty riders, mostly because they only ride on Sundays when it's not raining and they're used to being encumbered by some fat cow who's squirming around on the back. There: I said it and I'm glad!:D
  14. badgerone

badgerone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya know back when I started riding I was really excited about waving. Now there's just so many people out riding all the time I just don't feel that excited about waving to them.

Until I see somebody with hard luggage or the marks of hard miles on their bike. Then I get all excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    I got all of ya beat. If I see another bike going the other way I ramp over the median, hit a u-turn and trail the bastard until I can personally greet them and treat them to a personally prepared filet Mignon.
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't know me why are you waving at me?
  17. Vanishing Point

Vanishing Point Lengthy Member

Oddometer:
    Because your high beams are on.
  18. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:
    If you aren't someone I would take a bullet for, why are you in any way involved in my life? Sheesh.
  19. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:

That's what I do....

if the folks that DON'T wave back were to look in their mirror after we pass, they would see that the five fingered wave has changed to the ONE fingered wave...:D
  20. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    lol