GS Bike for vertically impaired

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Str8lin, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Str8lin

Str8lin Keep it moving!

Oddometer:
    Hi Group,

Need some advice. Good friend ( 5'2") is looking for a decent GS, preferrably used that she can ride without 4 inch platform boots. I know we can adapt other ergometric concerns with bar backs, seat lowering etc. But do not want to chop up a suspension to point of uselessness off road.

Ideas???

Thanks,
  2. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your talking something along the lines of a 650?low seat, shorter shocks, don't know what else you could do?
  3. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're determined to get a GS. I would look into the earlier 650 "single cyl" era of the 650 GS. 2000 up era. Don't know your intended use/distances/speeds etc but if you can look beyond a BMW badged bike fun bike for banging around off pavement for short folks is the goofy Yam TW 200. Kind of a way over rated cult bike but low, light, and easy to handle for the inseam impaired. Slow, under powered and does nothing "well" but it's bullet proof reliable and super easy to handle.
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    [​IMG]
  5. Str8lin

Str8lin Keep it moving!

Oddometer:
    Well. she is not quite that small!

:-):wink:
  6. GSJon

GSJon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The G650GS would probably suit her. It is a single and is a little lower than the F650/700GS or F800GS without a lower seat or having it lowered.

I'm 5'5" and have the F650GS with just the lowered seat and can flat foot it at stop lights. The GSpot forum would be a better spot to have posted this.
  7. Northern Hooligan

Northern Hooligan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife just got her MC lic in Aug of 2012, stands '5'2 on after trying a lot of bikes, lucked out and found a mint 2004 F650GS that works for her. I can not recall the name of the boots, but they are not altered in any way, waterproof, lifted her up enough that she can stand safely on the bike. The seat and suspension are stock, but we are going to have the passanger part of the seat shaved down a bit because she is dragging her foot along it getting off and on the bike. Other than that, for the short time she was able to ride it, she loves it.
  8. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    F650GS

Lowered shock, dropped fork tubes.

Works for my 5' tall wifey,

The K75 on short shocks will work as well, she has that for distance trips.
  9. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'2", with a short inseam. I have a 2006 F650GS, not lowered that has worked well for me (almost 100,000 miles). The lowered version (either OEM or via Kouba Links) would give a bit more confidence once it gets off vertical.

doc
  10. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea a f650gs would be a good choice, i have a 02 f650gs dakar that i lowered. with the low seat and 1 inch lowering link i got the seat height down to 31 inches on it. the regular f650gs will go even lower.