The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. MRHAPPY

MRHAPPY GSIN

Oddometer:
    :rofl:freaky
  2. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    What reliability issues?
  3. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    That was me here ... :lol3
  4. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    I can see what it is.

I bet you that it won't be on the next iteration.

It is a marketing thing.
  5. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish they would go ahead and just put 17" wheels on it. I bet even fewer people are ever going to take this beast offroad. At least allow everyone a better choice of rubber.
  6. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    So, would a water cooled boxer make significantly more power?
  7. Dorsicano

Dorsicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the article mentions 128 hp
  8. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    A Wasser Boxer has the potential to make a LOTmore power. you will prolly see this in 2012 as a 2012 or 2013 model.

Modern emission and noise regs require the change to a Wasser Boxer.
  9. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

It may be significantly heavier thought!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  10. kvr929rr

kvr929rr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why on earth would it be heavier. This comes up everytime a water cooled boxer is brought up. The Multistrada with the same displacement is no heavier. The 1198 is a pretty light motor and their configuration is not that different, an extra crank throw and maybe a little more crankcase metal for the alternator housing. Neither is the KTM RC8 motor any heavier than the Camheads. Aluminum just isn't that heavy. A water cooled boxer will be significantly lighter, make more power and create more poverty. :wink:
  11. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Well, the liquid cooling system obviously weighs something. If those other engines made it to a liquid-cooled generation without gaining net weight, then they must have lost it elsewhere.

I'm skeptical that the BMW boxer engine has that much to lose. It already lost a good bit of weight between the 1150 and 1200 generations. The HP2 Enduro engine is a bit lighter still, but that was at the sacrifice of a counter balancer, so not as smooth.

But hey, I'm no engineer, and there's always room for more clever design. Regardless, the additional complexity is indisputable, and I am not interested in that.
  12. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I don't see the boxer engine on the page 1 picture, do I?
    Could it be the new 1200 Triumph, Triumph's seem to look like BMW's but they are not BMW's :lol3
    Why would I move the shaft drive to the left?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:

Some of you may be getting all excited about this, but I see this as analagous to what car companies do with successful cars. They have to "improve" them each year so they make them bigger and clutter them up with accessories that bastardize the concept. While technology improved on the airhead design (EFI is a great example in my view), BMW keeps adding electric this and ring that with servo assisted whatever. I don't want all that. I want a simple, easy to maintian and fixable bike wherever you find yourself. Give me a clutch cable versus hydraulic. I'll take manually adjustable shocks over EWS. Why the hell would you put that ring antenae crap on a bike that you take around the world? Just something else to break!

Sorry, but a radiator is more complexity, something else to go wrong, something that adds to the difficulty (and expense) of service. Yes boxers get hot in traffic, but do I want to add all that crap?

I am not anti improvement. I would take a wet clutch, but only if its more accessible and easier to fix than the current dry single plate clutch. I like the current clutch, but it is not easily servicable anywhere but the dealer.

So some of you may get excited about the radiators, but count me out. I like simple for this kind of bike.
  14. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    The problem is Larry, you're not the target market. And they're doing well leaving you behind.

But don't worry for BMW. If this thing makes 20-30% more power, I'll buy it. They'll suck me in again.
  15. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I like the gadgets. I don't care about water cooling though. The only advantage to that will be that the water will dampen the rattling noise so a boxer will not sound as if someone forgot some nuts in the chambers ... :evil
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You really have nothing of value to add, do you?

Jim :brow

PS Just like PeterK
  17. lwm

lwm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dear God, please, a wet clutch. Please.
  18. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's says 8 valves DOHC engine double plug fuel injection 1270cc with a 14.5kg of torque and 128 bhp. New front beak and the headlight like the one in the F800

[​IMG]
  19. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Sure the Boxer future will look "cool" but I don't think its a BMW, Triumph has a test & engineering facility in Spain...not sure what's wrong with the dry clutch, does it make sense not to have one? How else can you keep the engine reasonably short, yes there must be a rear wheel somewhere :-)
  20. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Runs with Scissors

Oddometer:
    14.5 kgm = 104.9 lb-ft of torque

Not too shabby for the ol' girl :evil