Slash 2

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by danedg, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    That's weird. That looks like the bike that had the monster tank that was being posted my way. Maybe it was sent to my Penang shipping address. :D

Carl
  2. Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :D That garage looks familiar! Indeed yes, it's my bike in an earlier, not registered guise. I'm gathering the bits to make the Hoske a comfortable proposition, as well as getting it pretty enough to put on the bike. What do you think of the E21s? I know some bloke that does mounts for them ;-)
  3. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    there are a surprising number of wheels in that space
  4. Mike Goldthorpe

Mike Goldthorpe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too many, Renner, too many (so my understanding wife tells me). R50 and Citroen 11BL are runners, Alfa Giulia Super is project for a bit later, Ural M66 is my first bike but never finished....will be on the road by late 2014. There's a CZ477 somewhere in there too and some bicycles.
  5. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Just found a 1962 R60/2 that has been in storage since 1974. "Ran when parked".
    Missing the mufflers and has some un BMW handlebars. $3700.00.
    Probably is a pretty good deal. Wish I had $3700.00 laying around.
    Haven't been able to get over and look at it.
  6. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Western Connecticut. A lovely day for lunch at Toymakers Cafe...
    [​IMG]

Jezebel ran well 2 up through the Litchfield Hills.
  7. Pokie

Pokie Love, build, ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, there shouldn't be any VIN numbers back there. Now if you are looking at the casting of the rear drive by the shaft filler plug, that is the ratio of the rear drive stamped on the casting.
  8. danedg

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I look at this foto, and I can't help but think of wirewerkr, Robert VanVliet.
    Robert sold me these jugs and slugs, first over, for a very reasonable price as I was just building the aforementioned bike, 32,500 miles ago. Without his help, Jezebel would not have ever made it to the road. I miss him.

She started smoking a week ago, and subsequent inspection reveals heavy damage to the left cylinder walls, both sides, and the wristpin/circlips have destroyed the piston.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like this has been going on for a while. It still started and ran well, except for the smoking....:huh

The right side is fine.

Make sure your circlips are set correctly.
    Sorry I blew up your parts wirewerkr!
  9. Beamer Bum

Beamer Bum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you going to the slingers while she's down?
  10. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Damn.
  11. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    You really haven't enjoyed good luck this summer, have you? Sorry to see that. Ouch!
  12. Pokie

Oddometer:
    Personally, this is time to clean the slingers. As you know, your bike has no oil filter. The slingers lube the crank which in turn, lubes the backs of the pistons. Once the slingers fill up they have to be removed to be cleaned or replaced.

The slingers get partly filled simply by the motor running in (mostly piston ring and cylinder wall). When you do a top end rebuild, the new rings and honed or bored cylinders will shed off material in it's breaking in stage. This material that is shed off will be filtered out of the oil by centrifugal force and deposited in the slingers.

At this time the slingers will be pretty full and will struggle to lube the crank and usually won't have enough oil flung out to lube the cylinder walls. This is when you start to get the serious warning signs, the cylinders will start to score and develop piston slap. The owner will pop the heads to have a look. If he or she doesn't understand what he or she is looking at, the top end will be rebuilt again (now on the last oversize). Thinking the problem is solved, he or she will ride off.

This time the slingers are so full they can't even lube the crank and the engine seizes. Once this has happened, it will be VERY expensive to revive the bike as now the new pistons are junk, the cylinders are junk and the crank has joined them! The bike has now become Ebay fodder as a "barn find" with a stuck motor.

Now's the time to clean the slingers.
  13. Beamer Bum

Beamer Bum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now was that the first 40,000m or the second?
    I'm showing a twitch over 80,000m.
    That's 32K after slingers. I wonder...[/QUOTE]

I think we all know what Dan is going to do.:evil
  14. danedg

Oddometer:
    Pokie,
    The glass is half full, not half empty.
    Lighten up Francis!:lol3
  15. trophymoto

trophymoto MACDADDY!

Oddometer:
  16. trophymoto

trophymoto MACDADDY!

Oddometer:
  17. Pokie

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I sounded too heavy. I've had to deal with a lot of folks that came to me with their /2s gasping their last breath. It makes me really sad to see these bikes fade away just because folks don't understand them. The really sad part is when someone just does a quick and dirty rebuild then sells the bike to an unsuspecting "budding" enthusiast only to have the bike self-destruct a few miles down the road.

I've got a 1963 R60 on the bench right now that someone had pulled down to do a re-build. They had it down to the crank but didn't bother to clean the slingers before starting to put it back together. It didn't get finished before the new owner got it. We pulled the crank to find the slingers so full they were about to start blocking the crank holes. I eneded up having to do the crank anyway but at least it hadn't seized.
  18. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    it's just that you underestimate your audience, Pokie.

Not "coming across heavy" so much as "preaching to the choir".

:pope

:freaky:jkam:kumbaya:dutch:0-0:kbasa:loaded:super:queenie:y0!:photog:lurk
  19. Comodo0

Comodo0 scoobidoo

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I would say that these bikes are paying the price of their qualities.
    They are so strong and easy at the first glance to mechanic and service that many owners did not do the right thing.
    I've seen some /2 in a state so unbelievable, close to a bike found in a junk yard and that are firing anyways everyday at the first kick...
    Some years ago i went to see one for sale, it was in a junkyard in a humid forest.
    It was against a tree and sitting there for 18 yaers. W'eve put some gas in the carbs a kicked something like 30 times a the bike started!!!!! For one minute yes, but it started!

My mechanic is specialized in old Beemers and /2 but recently he told me he was fed up with them because every time he took a /2 and opened it it was a massacre.
    Bits of /5 and 6 not to say more. Clients did not agree about the time he said he spent to make it right in a professionnal maner, so he now wants to stop working on these bikes...
  20. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the cycle is turning on the Slash 2's.... the people who are now buying them are informed enough (at least compared to the last 30 years!) and are interested in them enough, and have money enough, to do the job correctly.

What I am trying to say......They are no longer something you can pick up for next to nothing, and maintain as if it is worth next to nothing....:clap

:D