A Nice Tire Change Solution

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by YOGOI, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    The tire irons with integrated box wrench come from Motion Pro and yes they fit the axle nut. They are called the T-6 combo wrench and can be found on the New Products page linked off the Home page. They are very light.

http://www.motionpro.com/new2005/products/04_080288.php
  2. Chadd

Chadd I live in the wrong place

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info
  3. nesloyrag

nesloyrag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We were in Baja this year, between the 7 bikes we had 8 flats, broke them all loose with the side stands. one of the bikes was a 950. Problem is getting enough air with a hand pump to get it out on the rim
    gary

4. Don Lemelin

Don Lemelin Scuderia West

Oddometer:

http://www.ktmtwins.com/950adventure/900100.html

Cheers.
  5. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    Pedernales R., Tx Hill Country (Ihadthisavatar1st)
    OK Don,

I just ordered one. I saw the pics on the Buckaroo thread and thought it looked pretty good. You better have them in stock .... d00d. :deal

I will be filing a report here.:thumb
  6. bikeworm

bikeworm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I help a guy out with my bead breaker in Elko, I had to he was an hour into trying to break the bead with a "C" clamp. The tool works. Its effortless to use and worth the cost. I met the inventor at the NRE 2 last year. He a 950 rider and great machinist. Its a quality tool made by an American in America! If you have ever had to break the 950 rear bead on a stock rim you know what a bitch it is? This is stupid simple!!!
    Cheers
  7. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    COOL! Nothing like a testimonial when you throw a C note into the wind. :D

Would not this device work just as well on a wheel on the ground? That IS the one thing that perplexes me here. Why are they working on a tire still on the bike?

Because of the cable part of the device I surmise. But why not do it in the dirt?:eek1

If you get my meaning.
  8. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Sure, you could do it with the wheel off the bike. The question is; Why do it in the dirt. Thats one nice thing about it. you dont have to grind dirt into the hub, and you dont have to put loppsided pressure on the disk brake and sprocket.
  9. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
  10. Don Lemelin

Don Lemelin Scuderia West

Oddometer:
    We received the last 6 that Dale had until his next production run and one or two have been sold through the shop which leaves (let's see 6 minus two equals ???) anyway, you're good, it'll go out tomorrow.
    Cheers
  11. bikeworm

bikeworm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cable runs through the axle. The bike on the stand makes a great platform to work from.
  12. scottr

scottr Banned

Oddometer:
    OK. Given the substantial force necessary to break the beed on a 950 I could see me knocking the bike off the stand pretty easily. When I talk about putting it in the dirt I really mean 'with all necessary precautions' ... like a block of wood or something under the tire/wheel where you are applying force .... maybe your aerostitch jacket (towel, rag,newspaper, garbage can lid) under the sprocket/disc .... like that. Then one could put some weight on that stick pretty easy. :gdog

Also: Thanks Don. :smooch
  13. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watched this tool in action several times at the Buckaroo Ralley in Elko and must say I was impressed. It does the job better than any of the pinch type bead breakers people were trying to use. Also saw no issues of the bike being unstable in the process.

Just my $.02.
  14. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Yeah, there were no problems with the bike falling off the stand as all of the pressure is concentrated on the rim and tire. The bead popped free as easy as it does on my tire machine back home in the shop. WAY more stable than using the sidestand of a bike with no wheel on one end :(:
    -cp
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    That 'use another bike's sidestand thing' breaks down when there ain't another bike...

I tend to ride on my own when I'm out, so this looks good to me!

'Course, this means I hafta get another DS bike here soon too!

M
  16. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:

Its a good strong tool, but I think a little finness (sp) is needed to keep the aluminum exstentions from bending. The leverage that you get makes it so you dont need to put your wieght into it. Youll see when you get it.
  17. hcmiller92

hcmiller92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This had me rolling on the floor for 10 minutes. :rofl
  18. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't quite get it. I have never had a problem getting beads off of rims with just a tire lever. I use the motion pro spoon levers that are about 1ft long. That is it. I step on it and they just pop off. This is with dirt tires though. Are more road worthy tires really stuck on?
  19. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    That is pretty cool. I had a similar idea that was less parts, I'll have to proto type it first though. I'm ready to change the 950 rear so now's a good time to try some ideas!
  20. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    I think the big "sticker" is the Scorpion, 'cuz my 908's pop off really easily with a tire iron. Something to do with the Scorpion being a tubless type tire. So, If you've got knobbies, you prolly don't need no stinkin' "special" bead breaker. Lest you want to carry one for the folks in your group with Scorps :clap
    -cp