2013 ama supercross

Discussion in 'Racing' started by ADK, Sep 12, 2012.

1. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:

You are right in what you say about Dungeys past lack of aggression. However, the title is given to the guy who wins the most points. Period. And he did. We're not talking about a series won by a guy who couldn't win a round. Dungey wins multiple rounds in every series, every year.

Dungey seems to me to be trying to step up the aggression lately, so I am hoping he has seen new faster, more aggressive pace and will try to match it. It is his second year on the KTM so hopefully he will be even more comfortable on it. We will see.

And hopefully all the guys will still be healthy come Dallas so you can see them all in action.

Bring on A1!!!!!!
  2. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Things just "happen" in Dallas. :uhoh

[​IMG]
    The shooters lair
  3. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, guilty as charged. RV lives in Oklahoma?
  4. rufus

rufus We're burning daylight...

Oddometer:

AMEN!

This crosses my mind anytime I read someone bashing a pro rider for what he did or didn't do.The speed that these guys carry is amazing.

Carmichael,Stewart and Reed upped the ante for everyone from now on.
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
  6. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    I like Dungey a lot and he is a consumate pro. The kind of guy if you had a daughter and he came knocking on the door to take her to the movies you'd be saying "thank you thank you thank you" to whoever it is that keeps people like Jason Lawrence away from daughters. If he was a golfer in the 70's/80's he'd be someone like Tom Watson and that isn't too awful bad.

Problem is more often than not for Watson Nicklaus was there and to complicate matters from Dungeys perspective he's had/has 3 Nicklaus's to deal with.

If Dungey was a quarterback he'd be a Eli Manning. Which is fine I like him too but who do you want Eli or Peyton?

Dungey needs one title when at least one of RV/CR/JS were in it till the end. He doesn't have that because he isn't capable of beating any of them on a regular basis. The others are.
  7. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    He may have it this year. Dungey's gf seems to be a really sweet girl from his home town, if you watched between the motos.
    Hey Flug, remember seeing your friends bump up from amateur to expert? They would g from looking fast and smooth to looking like dorks.

:freaky:freaky
  8. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Nah, I'm in Florida where it is WARM visiting my daughter for Christmas.
  9. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure he lives in Washington state. I've forgotten the name, but I vacationed there a few years ago.
    I think Mr. Matteeanne lives or lived there too.
  10. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Nice! Mike and Logan went to the Bay this morning, 17 degrees when they got there. Eeeeeeeeesssssssshhhhhhhhh. Stay down there for a week or so then we're back up into the 50's. I need to re-up my Stillwater pass too.

Thanks Red, I bet the dirt riding up there is awesome.

When is the first race? Gotta make sure the DVR is going to get em. Dungey! :clap
  11. Crash217

Crash217 The short guy with a beard

Oddometer:
    RV2, Dungey, Reed, JS7, and a handful of others live down in Florida. Along with RC4, Ferry, and a couple other retired guys. They all live inside a 50 mile radius.

The dirt is better I hear and they can keep to themselves more or less.

This is gonna be a good year. None of the top guys respect JS7 anymore since they know he's gonna wad himself up quickly in the series. RV2, and Reed will be hanging it out. Dungey will be fast, confident and consistent. Canard will be up in the top 5, maybe challenge for a few wins. Barcia is going to be exciting, will he win everything or get pounded into the dirt by everyone on a weekly basis?

Wwwweeeeee, 1 week till it starts!
  12. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Im starting to get the itch.
    I think Anaheim 1 should be a firecracker with everybody healthy so It looks like I'm gonna get some tickets.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Dungey, the Tom Watson of Supercross. Funny, Flattering and, depressing all at the same time.
  14. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    RV grew up in Poulsbo, WA and there is great riding up here, but it gets kind of cold and wet for about 4-5 months, so I can see why he lives in FL now.
  15. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    it was the best I could think of. maybe not totally on the mark but I think it works. Dungey may win a race here and there but unlike Nicklaus he won't (or hasn't) spanked everyone on a regular basis. injuries to other riders have been his friend. If that is his approach to be content when running in 3rd or even 4th (and I think it is) while it has won him some titles (not sure about his lites career) in my opinion it's more of a Nascar approach.

I am %100 convinced there are times when he could go faster and doesn't. If he was playing poker and had a locked hand he'd never raise. If he was playing poker and knew he didn't have the winner but his cards showed he had a potential winner, he wouldn't raise. He's dry, vanilla, bland, etc. too often. I still like him a lot, I just think he doesn't beat the top guys of his day enough and given his collection of championships something just doesn't add up when you do the math. I'm not knocking him I like him a lot. I just wish he'd run the stronger octane gas because that can is in his megahauler, he just won't use it.
  16. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really, really want to disagree with this.

But sadly I think it is fairly close to true. I'm hoping he will break out this season.
    I was really mad when Stewart crashed out last summer, I think Dungey was closing the gap every race and was on the verge of beating him outright. But James being James it didn't happen.

SX and MX are two different things so Dungey has to start all over Saturday.

17. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    he's in a pretty special time but ho much longer can it last?

with RV/JS/CR and Dungey capable of winning (assuming they still are) it has to be a really unique era of the sport particularly when you throw in Canard/Barcia. You've got 6 legitimate 450 riders capable of winning. The KTM has another year behind it that should help but Dungey needs to put a stamp on a season other than last man standing.

One thing about the whole "Roger DeCoster is really a big help for him"

I like DeCoster as much as then next guy but this whole "coach" for this kind of competition is a bit over dramatic. Who coached DeCoster? Or Weinert/Hannah/Tony D/Wolsink/Mikkola etc etc. If DeCoster is having an effect it's sad to think where Dungey would be without him. I'm sure it's a nice paycheck for DeCoster but it's not like he's calling plays or dictating strategy during the race.
  18. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I agree with most everything said about R.D.I feel he rides at his own comfort level,and can go faster when needed,although it may be out of his zone.He can't control what others do,I believe Carmichael won some races/championships due to injuries suffered by McGrath,Stewart,Reed?Its all about surviving the Supercross season healthy enough to be ready for the REAL motocross season,Outdoors!:deal:clap
  19. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I wonder if anyone besides:

RV
    RD
    JS
    CR
    TC
    JB

can win a race? Weimer? Josh Hill? Windham? Was it only 2 years ago Jason Lawrence lead most of Daytona and finished 2nd?

An impressive showing from a less than likable rider. God knows how a guy like him is spending his nights now..
  20. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    what ever happened to JL? so much talent just wasted (bummer)