Looking for lodging ideas in the Lake Placid area

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Racer111v, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a home base for a Yamaha FJ owners ride in the Lake Placid NY area. I think it will be 5-10 of us in late July. The majority of the riders will most likely be from the Ontario area. Doesn't really need to be all that close to the lake its self. Cabins or motel is fine. No one wants to carry camping gear.

Google shows plenty of options, just looking for some local experience. :1drink

Thanks
  2. bobbyp

bobbyp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mirror Lake Inn in the town of Lake Placid.

Owned by parents of Andrew Weinbrecht who just won a silver in the super-g race at the olympics. I was there a couple weeks ago and they had his prior bronze from Vancouver hanging in the lobby and were figuring out where to put the silver.

Nice place, nice staff.

http://www.mirrorlakeinn.com/

Whereever you go, book early, gets pretty busy in the summertime.
  3. Drewha

Drewha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heads up on the annual Ironman event held this year on the 27th. There will be plenty of cyclists riding the race route double wide in their own :norton in the week leading up to event day.
    If the gathering is more of meet and ride then touring the town of Lake Placid then the Hungry Trout on scenic Rt86 by Whiteface would also be a good choice. http://hungrytrout.com Restaurant with bar down stairs and good food on site as well as hotel. Not far to Whiteface Memorial Hwy and lots of great roads to ride.
  5. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info on the Ironman. Things look crazy that weekend. We may need to get a little farther away from town.

6. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can, it would be good to just avoid that weekend altogether as they close/limit sections of main roads for race day on Sunday. The Hungry Trout or other Wilmington hotels will be problematic for Sunday's ride home and Saturday will have extra slow traffic and bikes on the roads. I'd say go over to Saranac Lake, but frankly you'd just need to go back through Placid to get over to the fun twisty roads to the east and southeast of Placid.
  7. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been checking out Long Lake. That should be far enough from Lake Placid.
  8. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's plenty farÂ… might need a new thread title though.:D

Been through LL many a time and stopped at the local super market and watched the floatplanes, but no intel to offer on hotels. Well, I did stay at the big hotel across from the lake on main one winter, but it was 20 years back and probably changed hands since then. As for food, I've had a couple of good hardy breakfasts at the LL diner and can recommend them. They are the main choice on Sunday mornings, so plan accordingly. Sorry, that's all I got to offer up on LL. Nice town with a more remote feel to it with residences and camps thinly stretched out in comparison to Saranac Lake Placid and the like.
  9. SDIZZY

SDIZZY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The adirondak loj was nice, I stayed there in October.

Tmax and toppos hostel is nearby as well, lots of hiker friends I know stay there
  10. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    I stayed at the Faust Motel in Tupper Lake on my way back from the Roaming Rally last year. Nice little cottages with two beds, great riding area, about 40 minutes from Lake Placid. The owner is building a custom bike in one of the cottages and loves to talk about it. Not too pricey either. :thumb

http://www.faustmotel.info/

That's all I got. :deal
  11. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    We booked a hotel http://www.adirondackhotel.com/index.html in Long Lake after looking at hundreds of sites, I never realized how much is in the general area. We will be riding two or three loops, depending on arrivals on Friday. We will probably just do a short loop on Friday.

Any local knowledge will be appreciated. Anyone that wants to join in is also welcome. PM me if you want more info. :1drink
  12. Drewha

Drewha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whiteface Mountain is worth the trip. Nice views.
  13. SidecarSue

SidecarSue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

The Clown and I stayed there last summer on our mini ADK tour. Nice, bike friendly couple run the place. They'll even set you up with a fire pit if you'd like. There's also a restaurant across the street if you want to get off the bike for the night.
  14. AdvRich

AdvRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember us talking about the FJ meet up at one of the DS rides we were on last year. I may know (from another Yammy forum) one of the Ontario Fj owners too. I've marked it on the calendar and will PM you as the dates get closer if I can make it for one of the days. I'll bring the slightly younger TDM.

Rich
  15. Racer111v

Racer111v Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be great, stay in touch. Several riders have already booked some rooms. I got cheap and booked a site at Lake Eaton state campground, about 2.7 miles from the hotel. To be honest, I prefer to camp (in the summer) than stay in a hotel. There is room to pitch a tent on the site if you want to spend a night. Although I have been told I snore........

I'm sure I will see you several times before then anyway. :1drink