has anyone used one of these?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by crunchiespg, May 24, 2013.

1. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you can angle the GPS more upright? At that angle, it has been my experience that you would get lots of reflection from the sky.

Might be something to think about.
  3. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point. I like the fact it fits so neatly and doesn't need drilling like mounting it above the speedo in the windscreen.
  4. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Totally out of vision. Will need taking your sight from the road. Looks really neat though.
    Cheers.
  5. fasteddiecz

fasteddiecz Panama Ed

Oddometer:
    I have the zumo 350 mounted with a touratech bracket and its is easy to see. I mounted it with hardware provided with my 2013 baja. Hard wiring was easy, I did it under the glove box.
  6. fasteddiecz

fasteddiecz Panama Ed

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot, if you use a tank bag it may get in the way of seeing it. My ridding parter has his zip tied to his handle bar and his head has to tilt way down to see it but making any adjustments takes his eyes off the road big time. The installation of the bracket to hold any GPS was not that hard, just take your time and it comes out looking nice.
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you may be looking for a creative way to mount GPS, etc. I recently bought one of the HDB top clamps to have a good place to mount switches, etc but one of the added benefits is that it has tapped holes out front and at the front sides that enable other things to be bolted onto it (they are there to provide mounts for the HDB hand guards). Have a look and see if this may be a good fit for what you are trying to accomplish:

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=KTM_Top_Clamps

By the way, HDB are absolute top notch - quick to ship, great communication and fantastic quality products (no affiliation - I'm just a very happy customer).
  8. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the mount that comes with the baja. But I don't like the big metal cages from touratech for the actual GPS.
    I was thinking I might use some sort of ram mount in the same poisition though.

What power supply did you wire it to? Acc2 or somewhere else? Ideally I'd like to keep acc2 free for the ktm plug and play heated grips. Or can you have more than one thing connected to acc2?
  9. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh I think you're right. Tucked under the screen above the speedo is a better place.
  10. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
  11. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep that's what i was thinking of if the consensus was the handle bar clamp mount is no good. which it is..

thanks guys.
  12. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a similar one, only works if you ride mostly seated. I'm refitting the GPS above the dash.
  13. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The angle that I can get with this setup is just barely enough. It stays out or the way of the instruments. Everything is a work in progress.

[​IMG]
  14. crunchiespg

crunchiespg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh I'm thinking on top of the dash is the way to go. Ill use a ram ball mount and brace it from inside. I went for a ride last night and above the speedo is definitely a more natural position to glance at when sitting or standing.
  15. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    Different setup (Ram mount,) but this position works well for me, even with a tank bag.

[​IMG]
  16. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider

Oddometer:
    (SMT not ADV but same mount)

I use the SW Motech adapter for my phone which runs Co-Pilot:

With baseplate mounted only:
    [​IMG]

Full bracket and case:
    [​IMG]
  17. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Go with RAM mounts. Cheaper and more versitial. You can change the angle depending on if the sun is reflecting on the screen or the light from the gps is distracting at night. Win win for me at least. Just my .02
  18. outbacktaz

outbacktaz outbacktaz

Oddometer:
    3 minutes from a KTM dealership, Angus, On
    I use a cross-bar, moto-x style, on my stock handle bar. Ram-mount balls and arms do the rest of the work... Lot's of room to play with, and angle to set it at!!

Can post pictures if you'd like...!! Oh and I forgot, it's dirt cheap as well. And no holes in your fairing!!
  19. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    I like my GPS high so my eyes don't have far to go for the info I need... I could never use that uni mount.

[​IMG]