day out on the KTM990

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by 27rich, Jun 22, 2011.

1. 27rich

27rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went for a quick spin yesterday around the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Adelaide</st1:City> hills and out past <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sedan</st1:place></st1:City>.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    A few little puddles on the way out.
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </o:p><o:p></o:p>
    A bit of wolf creek road,
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

Then some fantastic roads back towards the hills again.
    Then came unexpectedly across this little disaster, and yes conti&#8217;s are absolute crap in mud. The low front guard didn&#8217;t help as the front wheel become locked due to the mud build up. Took me about an hour to get out of this, inch by inch.<o:p></o:p>
    All in all a fantastic day out.
  2. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    That bike is no fun in the mud without knobbies (and a high front fender to stop you going over the bars - DAMHIK!).

The roads look like good high-speed fun when dry though!

:ricky
  3. Crom-o

Crom-o Red Centre Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey Rich,

I've been doing a fair bit of riding out that way myself of late, I haven't been caught out in the mud like that though. I thought most of the roads out there looked like they lead to Wolf Creek, particulary the ones around the pipe lines?

Do you save your GPS tracks and save them as route for future use? I've been doing that on most rides since getting my Garmin 62s at the start of the year. Thinking maybe those of us in SA should start swapping GPS routes.
  4. 27rich

27rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes Bonsai, a high front guard is on the shopping list, however some other purchases are needed first, best just to try and avoid the mud I think.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Crom-co; yes I did save this ride to the gps. ItÂ’s a ride that I will do again shortly.

The road that caught me out with the mud is just off Whitehouse rd near <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sedan</st1:place></st1:City> (cant find the name on any map)<o:p></o:p>
  5. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Even if you wait for the high fender I'd switch to a knobbie on the front as you can - totally changes the bike and makes tracks and offroad a whole lot more fun!
  6. Gateshutter

Gateshutter Long timer

Oddometer:
    How come your bike doesnt fall over when the wheel chocks with mud ? Mine does
  7. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Heya Rich, :wavethose are some great looking tracks. You'll have to show us all next time we organise a group ride out that way. Glad to see the new bike is easier to handle in the mud...or is it? No mud on the crash bars, so I'm guessing you were lucky on that long stretch. Catch you one day soon. Maybe for the 24hr event if you're not working?
  8. 27rich

27rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the front will be replaced when it wears out with a tkc or 606 and rear the K60 or mefo
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    It did its best to lie down a few times but managed to save it thank f..k as it would have been a disaster trying to pick it up on that slippery stuff.
    Sundowner, I will let you know when I do that run again.