Why would anyone...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by jesusgatos, Jul 19, 2014.

1. streakerfreak

streakerfreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Figured out not to put a helmet on the foot peg anymore when I melted the strap on the exhaust.

Anyways, I will never leave my helmet unattended anymore. 3 years ago when I was living in Phoenix I came out to a wet helmet. I didn't know it was wet until I put it on. After a few minutes on my head, I figured out what it was. Piss!

Last year I locked my fiance's helmet on my bike for about an hour. Came out and the straps had been cut and the helmet stolen. That proved to be a challenge to get her back home that night.
  2. Ernest T

Ernest T Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hang my helmet on the peg quite often on the Trophy. It's a sport tourer and there is no place to store it securely when I stop. The Gold Wing has an nice flat seat so I use that when I stop on it and the other bikes have mirrors which work well.
  3. tommysmothers

tommysmothers Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer:
    I'll leave it on the foot peg if I'm stopping for a photo at an overlook or strapped to the helmet lock if I'm going hiking; the helmet comes with me the rest of the time.
  4. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear a Nolan so regular helmet locks don't work. I usually clip it to the crash bar on the V-Strom or to a cable mounted to the helmet lock on the Royal Star. At work no one is likely to mess with my helmet.
  5. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I nearly allways have the big wolfman tankbag on my KLR. When parked I set the helmet with gloves inside between the tankbag and windscreen over the ignition switch[with the keys in it] , uh-oh ! My bike is in peril now !
    But, so far no one has noticed , cared or felt tempted to risk their health to bother my most un -shiney bike or helmet.
    Maybe that will change , now that is hailed as an icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVoaKdc8org

Enjoy the video, but don't touch my bike !
  6. kballowe

kballowe Poser

Oddometer:
    Depends on the bike. Some bikes have a good passenger peg location and the helmet hangs there just fine.

Most times, I just set it on the pavement. I do this because I've never found a motorcycle seat that could contain the suicidal tendencies of my helmets - they always jump off at the most inopportune moment.

Never hang your helmet on a passenger peg while at a bar - with the opening "up". There's always that one guy........
  7. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been leaving mine hanging from a passenger peg. It's older, and I'm in the market for a replacement so I won't be too upset if it disappeared. But I wonder what I'll do once I get something more valuable. It doesn't seem like a common theft item unless maybe it has some flashy graphics that attract the squid crowd?

I didn't realize messing with it was so common.
  8. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    I've left my jacket, backpack, helmet, and gloves on the bike all over the US. Maybe it's the beat up helmet that no one wants, maybe it's the fact that I have no friends to play pranks. :dunno
  9. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they're staying within sight of the bike, why not?

If they're not, I don't even trust the helmet locks, and I usually remove them from my bikes. That's what a topcase, PacSafe bag, a backpack, or your carrying hand are for.
  10. Jamesx2

Jamesx2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always carry mine with me. The only place I leave it is at the front desk at Golds gym. Why does Golds have such narrow lockers that you cant put a helmet in?
  11. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    OK Harley riders need the helmet on the peg to remember what side to get on from, BMW riders need the helmet so the bike does not get scratched when it falls, the rest if us don't know how to re-adjust the mirrow when it gets out of whack! But, what I envision is those guys at the RAM place developing a mount for such things.:evil
  12. Road Program

Road Program Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's really ingenious. Or the penny tech (are we still using that phrase?) of chopping of a 90* allen key and permanently affixing it to the female fitting in the bar end? Won't work on some applications, but I can see it working on others.

I know there's got to be milk-crate-certified KLR owner out there who's willing to try it.
  13. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just clip a caribiner to my hand guard and through the helmet d ring, it is too high to piss into (no that is not a challenge) and there is no chance it is falling anyplace..
  14. Roads and Trails

Roads and Trails Just Ridin' Along Supporter

Oddometer:
    All those dead bugs on your mirror, what did they eat before they died?
  15. Reduxalicious

Reduxalicious Or is it?!

Oddometer:
    Because there's no room between my brake lever and other jumbled assortment of stuff to hang it from there, besides what's wrong with hanging it from the right foot peg?
  16. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ride in states without helmet laws then this thread becomes a non-issue.
  17. henshao

henshao Bained

Oddometer:

:lol3 Dumbasses trying to protect their precious brains :lol3
  18. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a Helmet Guardian that locks two helmets near the license plate. I've installed it on 3 bikes now. But it's situational. Sketchy places and the helmet comes with me.

I momentarily set a modular helmet on the seat at a rest stop in Utah. A gust of wind later and I needed to use two hands to open and close it for the next two weeks while on a western states riding vacation. Lesson learned.

My GSA has some kind of goofy over engineered break away mirrors that require me to carry two 14mm wrenches and re-read the adjusting mirrors page of the owners manual every time I inadvertently bump them. So the helmets never sit on the mirrors.

The thought of someone pissing in my helmet when it's hanging on the lock never occurred to me until reading this thread.
  19. RunningMoto

RunningMoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lockers at my high school weren't particularly narrow, but my helmet always ended up being about 1" to 1.5" too wide for the damn thing. I had to carry it around all day from class to class. One day, I got wise and started leaving my helmet, overpants, jacket, and boots in a duffel bag in my last period class with a teacher I trusted.
  20. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    My state has no helmet law.

I always hang it on the giant ass handle bar mirror, clutch side and close the shield, it keeps it dry.

hanging it on the peg would fill it with water if it rains?
    does it ever rain where you are?

Not to mention, my boots are on my pegs sometimes, and they have dirt, mud, dog shit, chicken shit, and who knows what other sort of nasty E. coli vehicle that I would prefer to not be in my helmet on them..