The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
  3. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Certainly can't dissagree with that one :rofl:rofl:rofl
  4. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    As I hear it, Henk essentially goes back to running the HT Rally Raid team. He's putting together a big Honda quad effort for 2014.
  5. doyle

Oddometer:
    Perhaps in some eyes if Cyril goes away from bikes I lose credibility, but I think most of the rumors I've posted have flushed out. I'll admit when I'm wrong though. It happens.
  6. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    It's official

http://www.motoverte.com/site/scoop-despres-avec-yamaha--72664.html

It is now official after months of waiting, Cyril Despres signed with Yamaha Motor France to compete in the Dakar. A two-year contract unites the five times winner of the Dakar and brand to forks. Clearly stated objective: victory!

Since the last edition, we knew that Yamaha was looking for a top driver able to prevail after the departure of Helder Rodrigues at Honda. We also knew that Cyril was looking for a handlebar after separation with KTM. If Honda Husqvarna options and even clothing were maintained trails, the Yamaha option was obviously the most realistic. The experience of blue in this area is well established, the latest version of the YZ-F Rally is ultra-efficient and the French will be able to get a sixth victory in the next edition. A beautiful union in which some Peterhansel is not completely foreign ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I knew it!

Romance is not dead in France, oh no...

Jx
  8. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is the pizza box?
  9. doyle

Oddometer:
    #underwhelmed
  10. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Was there ever any other option after HRC talks were a dead end?

If nothing else, this makes the fight at the front so much more intriguing come January.

Just imagine the marketing potential if Cyril equals Stephane's wins on a blue bike. Yamaha wet dream.

C'mon, let's have your waterboy guesses. My money is on Pain.
  11. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Totally agree... ASO wanted to spread the 'winning' potential around between more manufacturers, and the 450cc rule has done just that - albeit taking three years to get the Factories on board - KTM, Honda, Yamaha and Speedbrain/Husky have always been contenders too - this will really mix things up come 2014!

I always thought that element shouldn't be underestimated... more importantly, Cyril has signed for two years - that's the record matched, and broken x

Jx
  12. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pain turned out to be a bit more succesful then Casteu is memory serves me well, both were unlucky last year but Pain clearly still his youth on his side. A rider that has remained in the shadows but he has my vote!
  13. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Olivier Pain is a good bet for water carrier, but will he want to do it? Are they compatible like CDP and Faria?
    He got a taste of winning last year so he probably thinks he can go to the end.

Does this mean David Casteu is out of Yamaha? He's a great guy. :cry

Who likes early bets?
    I say Marc Coma wins the 2014. Dakar. :deal
  14. waldecker

waldecker Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Pain or Verhoeven are considered to have a shot at the top spot who should get the offer to support CDP if not the second best 2013 finisher on a Yamaha France bike?
    Yes, Rocket Rod would deserve it!:clap
  15. doyle

Oddometer:
    Just glad he's not moving to cars.

My write up if anyone's interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Just glad we will see CD competing again on 2 wheels, and about a water carrier... why not Botturi?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:evil:evil
  17. doyle

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="500" height="281" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AGjabl4tDOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Good call Gian, Botturi has the extra benefit of age and the cooler, more experienced mind-set that comes with it. Like someone said above, maybe Pain is too hot-headed and it just might be that Yamaha are grooming him for the next big thing after Le Patron retires.

On a side note, I am really starting to think that because of the way the Dakar is contested in this new generation 450 formula, the role of the dedicated one-waterboy-per-factory rider has been slightly altered. It now seems that anyone on the same brand bike is expected to donate whatever possible to a factory star (like Cyril's engine swap last year).

I see the same evidence in the way that KTM have restructured their factory effort from two 1+1 teams into Marc & Chaleco, with Caselli as back up for either of them. I may be completely wrong though as I have no recollection of what the status of Pedrero & Faria is
  19. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sorry I was just joking, I didn't mean to seriously imply your credibility was at stake. :shog
  20. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dont you hate it when you are right!!