Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have bought quite a few things from them...one F4 Phantom, three little 800mm planes and a larger panther....all have gone just perfect.

I also read all the horror stories and decided I would find out first hand and not take some questionable internet guy....bought a $80 plane worked great got what I wanted...ordered a
    $120 plane great experence. Ordered a few more....zero problems.....just my experence....and as they are the only US game in town for FMS you buy from them or pay tons in shipping
  2. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Had a nice little lunchbreak today with my GeeBee, Sbach and MCPX BL..

I wanted some pics of the MCPX hovering inverted, but never anyone to take pics for me.. So I took them myself. hahahaa... Was easier for the low shot because once in ground effect, you just have to keep the rotor disc level with the ground. The higher up one is tougher because you need to lock in your altitude hold pretty good..
    Here's what I got:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good times!!!
  3. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    FPGT I'm glad Banana Hobby worked out for you as they have great prices on most things.

I didn't have such a great experience however and won't be ordering from them again.
  4. BrittC

BrittC Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for opinions on a park flyer. I did a little model airplane flying 20 years ago and have been thinking about getting myself an electric park flyer that I can bring to nearby fields to mess around with while the kids are there doing sports. I've been reading and learning a bit about what's available and the ParkZone Super Decathlon seems to be a good balance of easy to fly as well as being capable enough to keep my interest as my skills progress. I don't envision spending enough time flying to become and ace pilot, but I'd like to think that I'll get into some simple maneuvers as I gain experience.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ4800

Am I on track? Are there others that I should look at? I'm sticking to kits under $200, and assume that I'll want to buy extra batteries so that I can get some good flight time while I'm out there.

Thanks!
  5. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    The only thing I'd say is that you might want something with ailerons or something that can have ailerons installed later on. Huge difference in flight envelope with ailerons. If you don't ever think you'll want to try axial rolls or tight snaps, etc then you're fine, but I always want more flexibility.

6. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm having a ton of fun with my Hobbyzone Champ, easily gotten my $89 out of it.
  7. rockyspike

rockyspike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look at Ares Gamma 370 regular or pro version then buy the standard wing. I have one and it is ideal for an all around plane.
  8. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand that....many people had rotten experence with nitroplanes as well....and just because of what I read about banana I only bought from nitroplanes....well after nitro lost FMS (rebranded as airfield) I still wanted to get FMS planes....bought one from PW but shipping was a killer.....support was second to none however. I just decided go with a cheapie from banana and if I get burned lesson learned. Now I have not had to go back to them for anything so if something was wrong I don't know how that would go...but so far I am happy with them.

I have also had pretty good luck with HK...only getting the wrong thing once, but figured I would use it somewhere so I just kept it

This is the latest thing I have on its way from HK

[​IMG]
  9. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had my Dakar truck out for the first time on Saturday, mostly complete except for paint. It's been a really fun little project, tried my hand at brazing for the first time for the window protection bars, and my first scratch built styrene body on the back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lieDoDfKmDs" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q5dXIw_0itQ" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>
  10. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Bought a cheapie electric RC helicopter over the weekend on a whim, and, well, I'm hooked. Just what I need, another diet pill for my wallet. Hell of a lotta fun, though. :clap Gonna start combing through the thread and see where I can throw money after I buy another bike. :D
  11. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    Very nice:clap

Now you have to shoot a POV of that trail. :lol3
  12. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Which heli did you get?
  13. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Interceptor 3.0 from RadioShack? I don't think it's anything good, I just ordered some replacement tail rotors after my buddy crashed it
  14. Saget

Saget Not quite a full house

Oddometer:
    Just another flight video...

I forgot I recorded this one back in the middle of January. A slow relaxing flight on a perfectly calm winter evening. Go 1080 HD and full screen for a nice view of the sunset.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U7KAHqy6dBU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
  15. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    More Non Flying content :D

Another small update. Drove the 50 miles to the nearest hobby store and picked up a few more goodies.
    [​IMG]
    Body posts, battery strap, receiver box, and esc plate.

[​IMG]
    Battery strap and hardware put on

[​IMG]
    ESC and bottom receiver box mounted

[​IMG]
    Receiver mounted and battery installed! What you can't see in the pic is everything is powered up and worked fine.

Only have to get the correct length steering control rod, a few countersunk screws, finish masking the body and paint it. Then it will be a complete project!

I could have done without the esc plate and the receiver box but I didn't want to do an incomplete job. I wanted to keep it waterproof for some nasty weather driving and above all, I wanted it to look like it came that way from the factory.

Hope this is helping anyone else that is thinking about doing this conversion.
  16. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not been able to fly in weeks it seems. The wind here is just insane over 20mph daily. Lastnight before a front comes in today it got a little calm before the wind shift right at dusk. Got about 3min in before my fingers started to freeze.....where the hell is spring.

Today, snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain....all said and done depending on the station you listen to we can have up to another 10 inches of snow by sunday night.

Global warming.
  17. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Ah, the classic toy-grade 3-channel co-axial with a tail-rotor. A tail-rotor on the horizontal instead of vertical. Much easier to use that for pitch, though, as opposed to building a cyclic-system with a swashplate.

If that heli whets your appetite, don't fix it. Go buy a hobby-grade Blade MXC or similar. Much more fun, responsive, realistic (there are full-size co-axials), etc.
  18. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:

Get yourself a UMX Sbach 342 with AS3X :) I have flown mine in 20-25 with 30mph gusts and it surfs the wind nicely :)

A 2.5oz foam plane is what I break out when it's too windy to fly anything else! haha
  19. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:

Yeah, thats what I'm planning on. I have a few other things higher up on the list, so for now I'll keep screwing around with this thing.
  20. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fricken cold is just a knife in my bad arm....just came in from putting in a part in a work car....fark it hurts.

Looks like a cool little plane....everything I own is scale, and I bought my first non warbird just a week or so ago, a 1400mm Cub.

3D just never intrested me, I am however amazed at the things people can do with them. I have been flying inside an old FP honeybee, but the brushed motors are on their last leg....I am thinking I may pick up another smallish heli, but I really like the planes better.