Shoei Neotec Helmet: The Most Versatile Flip Up Helmet!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Viletouch, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Larch

Larch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wrote to Shoei about their rather pathetic color options, and their U.K. distributer replied with a nice apology, but also said that Shoei were not planning any other colors for 2012.:cry

I know that us that wear intelligent gear (or "UTWIGS") may somehow have given the Japanese manufacturers the mistaken impression that we are, in fact, boring people. However, just because UTWIGS ride ugly (but functional!) bikes, and wear bulletproof (and yes, usually ugly) gear, doesn't mean that we can't remember a dim and distant past of a more riotous nature.:1drink

As Shoei did eventually make a racy (ok, racy as in "1960's racy) version of the Multitec, maybe if we all live long enough we'll get lucky again with the Neotec!:freaky

In the meantime, does anyone know of a loud helmet sticker set? (Troy Lee's stopped making theirs).
  2. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looked at the Shoei Europe website and the MultiTec is not offered, clearly the Neotec is the future modular helmet for Shoei.

Hope it arrives in the US soon.

:freaky
  3. Larch

Larch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's weird: I just checked Shoei's European website (http://www.shoei-europe.com/) and if you check under "products," the Multitec is still there. Maybe they just took it down for dusting?
  4. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's to closeout sales on the Multitec!
    :freaky
  5. ZumWohl

ZumWohl I got this round

Oddometer:
    Just threw the plastic down to pay for a Neotec pre-order through Revzilla.

Boring, solid colors are $584 w/ free shipping. Me, being boring and solid, staked a white XL, discounted a bit through 'Revzilla bucks' from an earlier purchase.

Website says early March 2012 delivery. I really expected the Neo to retail much higher; the Euro sites showed over $700 US, but if Revzilla can make it work for $584, I'm in. Seems like it'll be the lid o' my dreams.

Revzilla:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...dium=affiliate&utm_campaign=%zp&utm_source=CJ
  6. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did they charge your card now? Or charge it when it ships?
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    They charge now for pre-orders.
  8. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    And I've been losing sleep debating (in my mind) over the Schuberth C3. Although this is a new model and there aren't any real reports, I'm excited to see it come out. Could be my next lid.
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I've had a C3 for close to four years now, no problems and the fit and function is still grade A. But the Neotec sounds promising if it offers similar performance for a couple hundred cheaper. Looking forward to WebBike's review.
  10. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me too. My RF1000 fits me perfectly. I hope the fit is the same.
  11. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shoei USA's website now has quite a bit of info on the Neotec:

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/

I don't see a description of the chin strap on the USA version. Seems to me that the Euro version has the ratchet style instead of the D-rings, which would be a big change for Shoei here.
  12. ZumWohl

ZumWohl I got this round

Oddometer:
    The charge hasn't hit yet, but I only did it online less than 24-hrs ago (it was a PUI purchase at 0100 Sat AM). I did get an email from Revzilla that my order was "received", so maybe come Monday, when they're back at work, they'll hit my card. No sweat though, I've purchased gear from them before and visited their Philadelphia grand opening; it's a good outfit.

I'll update if/when the charges hit...
  13. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone seen info on the internal shape as it compares to the Multitec and if the chin curtain is removable? I Googled the subject but didn't find anything. I'd like to order one for my wife.
  14. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
  15. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gawd. I almost choked at the cost when I bought my Multitec, but it has turned out to be the most comfortable, quiet, and versatile helmet I've ever had. Maybe Shoei will have them to evaluate at the upcoming IMS shows.

Saving my pennies...
  16. Ultravoyageant

Ultravoyageant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The congested burbs 62 furlongs west of Brick City
    If I'm going to spend that much for a helmet I think I'd just as soon find another $115 and get the Schuberth.

But given how much I like my X-lite 1002 unless the 104 turns out to be a complete piece of crap(which I highly doubt but you never know) spending more than the $350 needed for the Nolan seems like a big bag of diminishing returns.
  17. tojays

tojays Tojays

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at the qwest but like the option of the flip up helmet. of the 2 helmets how do they compare I saw the new neotec this past weekend at a bike show and liked it a lot but I am wandering about the noise level of the flip up vs the fullface. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Thanks Tojays
  18. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you wear ear protection it won't make much difference. But as this helmet is so new, I don't think anyone can compare the noise level between the two just yet.
  19. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the charge hit? I really want to pre-order but I prefer that my money not be tied up for 10 weeks.
  20. ZumWohl

ZumWohl I got this round

Oddometer:

Yes, it did. I am willing to float the money as I had an unexpected infusion of funds recently.

I also made a quick call to Revzilla for any updates they may have from Shoei regarding US supply, and "Joel" indicated they are still on track for an early March distribution. He also noted that the basic white lid (which I ordered) should be among the first arrivals and I may see it as soon as mid-February (yay!). I'm willing to wait if that doesn't pan out though.

One other thought...while the price of this helmet may seem high, it has features that would cost more to similarly equip my RF1000 and even a Mutlitec. Neo has the built-in shade; it cost me nearly $50 to buy a dark-tint visor. It also appears that the Neo comes with pinlok; it cost me another $50 for a CV-1 pinlok clear shield plus another, say $35 for a tinted insert. So that's about $135 over the initial, what, $450 I plunked down for the RF1000 5 years ago?

That and the multitude of improvements found in the Neotec made me consider this a worthwhile investment. Others may have their own feelings, but Shoei's fit me just right, so it's a done deal for me.

-Don