The Great DualSport Tire Shootout!

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bgoodsoil, Feb 28, 2009.

1. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run 32/34. Not sure why??
  2. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    i run :scratch mmm, maybe i otta check that
  3. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been looking for a while. Nuthin That I can find.
  4. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    opps just saw this, on the kenda k761, i've got one on the front of r100r so far so good. trying to decide if i'm going with one on the back. stil not sure
  5. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    ordered a set of Kenda K761 last week in a scramble to order another set of tires. after finding out there was a shipping snafu with my K-60 order ... then found several negative feedback about sliding on both tires in the wet. lucked out and managed to cancel order before it shipped.

NO compromise on performance ... then I'll worry about mileage and cost. don't forget about availability .... what good is reading all the rave reviews, if it's not available?
  6. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
  7. Martian

Martian Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the additional sources!

basin motorcycleworks has 90 90 21 in stock for $76. which is much less than I just paid from another ADV dealer.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="width:44.4pt;border:solid windowtext .5pt; border-top:none;mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="59">
    2 ​
    </td> <td style="width:97.5pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .5pt;border-right:solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .5pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="130"> Heidenau
    </td> <td style="width:97.5pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .5pt;border-right:solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .5pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="130"> K60
    </td> <td style="width:109.2pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .5pt;border-right:solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .5pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="146">
    90/90-21
    </td> <td style="width:70.2pt;border-top:none;border-left: none;border-bottom:solid windowtext .5pt;border-right:solid windowtext .5pt; mso-border-top-alt:solid windowtext .5pt;mso-border-left-alt:solid windowtext .5pt; padding:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;height:.25in" valign="bottom" width="94" align="right">
    $76
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  9. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    just finding out about Conti TKC-80 tires for G/S. evidently they are decent off-road tires and still get good tire life on the road.

but how do they corner? what about performance in wet conditions?
  10. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

I`ve run TKC80`s on my 1100GS for over six years and would only ever have a TKC on the front. It can get a bit buzzy having one on the rear as well, but I can live with it.

Currently, I have a TKC on the front, with a Heidenau K60 Scout on the rear; the K60 is also noisy, but wears very well. Bit dicey in the wet though.

TKC`s front and back in the wet are OK, just don`t ride like a dickhead.

I run 30/34 on the big pig, but would only go high 20`s on an Airhead GS.

The front TKC will scallop if ridden a lot on bitumen, I spin them around on the rim when about half worn, which is about 8000Km. I am very gentle with the vehicles I own.
  11. jbeem

jbeem Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This tire was run at 36 on gravel in Wyoming and Utah for about 1500 miles and about 1000 miles @ 40psi highway on an R100GS. The tire only had 2500 miles total on it. Front tire was O.K. even at 32 psi. The guys running 705's on KLRs were O.K. and showed no separation after 4000 miles. They kept theirs at 40 for gravel and highway. All info I could find on the 705's is never run them less than 40psi (rear).
    The tire was replaced by Shinko and I am trying the new one. I put about 300 miles on it last weekend at 40 psi and I believe I am going to have the same problem. Maybe I am too fat and the pig is too heavy. The tires handle good and I believe they are as good as the TKC's on gravel.
    [​IMG]
  12. jbeem

jbeem Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I probably should add that I know a few people that are running 705 radials on Stroms and they are having no problems. Radials are not available in sizes for the R100GS.
  13. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    What about Dunlop 606's instead of the TKC 80's, they are cheaper?
  14. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

That they are. Good tire for the rear, but I`ve heard they are not real good in the dirt on the front; no personal experience though.

I reakon the TKC on the front would last longer, so that negates the 606`s cheaper price to a degree.

Only way to find out is to try them, what may work for me, may not work for others.
  15. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes.. finding all sorts of feedback with pic's of Shinko tire De-laminating all over the place.
    some folks don't have a bit of problems... others are cracking.

taking my brand new Shinko 705 off ... soon as K-60 gets here.

Beware Of Shinko Tires
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. jbeem

jbeem Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks exactly like what happened to my rear tire in Wyoming and Utah. I'll try this new one then probably move on to something else.
  17. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who told you they last?

Front and rear where toast in 5k kms. They worked well, but evaporated.
  18. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

R1100GS; 14,000Km from the rear, 34 psi. Front, over 16,000Km, 30 psi. Spun around on the rim at about 9,000Km.

I ride like I`m paying the bills
  19. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've retired and I am actually paying the bills.

Just wore out a Scorpion A/T on the G/S in 3000 km, 70% slow and careful on gravel, and an IRC Durotour 310 on the rear of my 75/7 in 4500 km , mainly pottering around with the Vintage and veteran Club or Nicole on her Enfield.

I'd have to put them on a trailer to get to 14000 km.

Both these tyre feel fine at the handbook pressures 27 front and 25 rear.
  20. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    finally received the set of K-60 tires today ... sure was glad to see em.. took three weeks to get here. mounted them right away. soooo relieved to get those Shinko 705 off my G/S.

called up Motorcycle superstore and informed them of all the documented failures on multiple forums with pictures posted as proof of tires separating. they issued a call tag for me to send tires back for a refund.

too bad Shinko 705 had separation issues. tires looked quality made, rode nice with lots of thread.