950 SE Seat Height

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Fireman1000, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a lower seat for the SE? I sat on one at my local dealer today, and was on my tip toes. It's a left over '08 for $10,800 OTD.
  2. Beartooth

Beartooth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can probably get a custom renazco or similar built. I don't know if you can get one from the factory. I've also heard of leftover SE bikes going for 9k.
  3. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    On both sides!? You should be so lucky :deal
  4. Worone

Worone Rock Slinger

Oddometer:
    My Corbin drops it a bit....
  5. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    I had a local seat guy remove the cover, remove some of the foam & then pull the stock cover back over the seat & staple it in place. Total cost £20.
  6. volrider

volrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get It! The twinkies will stop talking about their GS's after one ride with you on an SE.

The bike just does everything well. And it definitely does not feel as heavy as it is once you're moving.

An honest opinion on the seat height. It's a pain, but personally I would feel cramped while seated if the seat/peg distance was any less. The only downside I've found is with a pretty heavy bike, an awkward stall or stop can leave you laying on your side.

If you're not in a hurry, you're welcome to take mine for a spin if you guys want to meet up for a dual sport ride around the gap sometime.
  7. River6822

River6822 Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem I have (07 SE) besides being short and fat, is overcoming that seat height getting on and off the bike. Riding, stopping at stop lights, and even the occassional stall are managable once you learn how to ride a tall bike. You NEED to get your ass off the seat. Once you shift a cheek over to one side or the other, it's no longer a problem.

Getting on and off is solved a few ways. A curb, step stool etc... Not really a good solution. Second up is mounting the bike while it's moving. I put my left foot on the left peg, get her rolling and with a hop I swing my right leg over. Third and probably the best solution, is to get a side stand relocation bracket. Then you can mount the bike while it's on the kickstand wihtout the danger of cracking the engine case. Then obviously straighten her up and kick under the stand.

In addition, you could go for a renazco, or corbin, or just take the cover off and cut a little foam away. None of which will buy you much, and are a more suitable solution if you just plain hate the wood KTM calls a seat. (I've gotten used to it.) Removing the cover and re-attaching is a lot scarier sounding than it really is. It's just a matter of removing some staples, and then replacing them. Worst case is you get it the shape you like, then take it to a local guy to re-attach or replace the cover.

Don't let the height scare you, you'll get used to it.

Good Luck !
  8. bruceca2002

bruceca2002 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone actually broke the engine case from getting on the bike using the side stand!!!. If so that is unbelievable
  9. River6822

River6822 Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer:
    I don't really know for sure but I see the horror stories on this forum and don't want to take the chance. Mine isn't broken and I'd like it to stay that way.

I am planning on a bracket, but it's down on the list of wants.

just my 2 cents.
  10. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't realize who you were. It was raining today, the sales guy (a friend of mine) told me to come back and I could test ride it, so I'm going to at least do that. I didn't know you had an SE either.
  11. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    I lower mine 1 inch and renazco make me a seat a little lower ,im 5'7 28 inch insane
  12. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    hi well the bike i now own was lowerd ,the front forks were lowered through the triple clamps . the rear shock was shimded , it was about 50-70mm different too standard
  13. volrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, different name here. I moved from the most uninspiring motorcycle I've ever owned (DL1000) to one of the most fun I've ever ridden. If you haven't read through it, Ned's wretched excess thread is absolutely the perfect summation of this bike. It's just about always way more than you need, but damn is it fun!
  14. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha, Ha, that's exactly how I felt about the one I had. I'm also sorry about the misunderstanding about those bags. I felt bad about that.
  15. volrider

Oddometer:
    No worries. It actually worked out better that I didn't sink any more money in that bike.

If you're really interested in the SE talk to me before you buy. It's an absolutely awesome piece of machinery, but they are, IMO, not ready to ride out of the box. There's some stuff you need to be ready to get sorted before it'll be the bike you expect it to be, all of which has been covered on here in one thread or another.

That being said, every time I start to think about the time and money I've put in mine I go ride it and forget all about it.
  16. edgy

edgy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don`t be put off by the height,just fiddling on the suspension makes a substantial difference! I am 1.78 tall and also cut a bit off the seat,can easily flatfoot her now! What an awesome bike,absolutely everything is do-able on her.....and she makes me shit myself EVERYTIME!:clap

Attached Files: