Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    my daily commuter

[​IMG]

Just passed 2K miles, I'm upgrading the entire drivetrain as it's pretty worn.

BTW, I'm 39 and in the best shape of my life.
    All aspects of my life have improved by exercising regularly.
  2. X Banana Boy

X Banana Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Twinman

Twinman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cyclo-cross bike is an idea although a road bike with 23-25mm clincher road tyres on good 32-36 spoke rims will also take a hell of a beating and be as maneuverable.

Don't be one of those dicks wobbling all over a bike track with your arms stretched out on aero/tri bars @ 20mph. Those bars aren't stable or safe in that environment. You don't need that crap unless your damn fit and strong anyway.

I still think those low spoke count (20-24) wheels are a BS gimmick and not as tough as the above mentioned 32 spokers on a good Mavic Open Pro (or equivalent) rim. I have no time for fancy gram shaving crap that makes hardly any difference and needs constant maintenance. I got an alloy Trek with Ultegra Shimano which is all you need for anything this side of the le Tour, but there's any number of bikes equal or better that I'd happily ride also.
  4. Medicine Creek

Medicine Creek 127.0.0.1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    so i should wait till i am 39 'fore i start with the regular exercise thing?
  5. Caffeind

Caffeind Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer:
    Hell, yeah. Why do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow. :jkam

Here's the one I keep coming back to.
  6. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

Thanks for the advice. Would definitely go with clinchers too, does anyone but track racers use sew ups anymore?
  7. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

fixed:evil
  8. SheetBend

SheetBend Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad I read this thread--I was just getting serious about exercising again. Guess I can keep putting it off for another couple of years. Sweet. :1drink

Before reading this, though, I started getting serious about biking again. It's great fun. I bought a Specialized Sequoia (similar to the Sirrus mentioned earlier)--nice ergos, comfortable ride, could use better components (but fine for my skill level and needs). It's been great for commuting to work, doing 20 mile round trip breakfast rides on the weekend, and even did a 100-miler around Lake Tahoe in early June. I'm not sure how well it would hold up in NYC, but it did great on a ride around San Francisco (just gotta watch out for those pesky cable car tracks!).

Perry--building a bike rack to attach to your GS will also give you access to some great rides outside of the city. Ricardo had a great one on his GS. Nothing was better when I lived in SF than doing a quick ride on my Dakar out to Marin, getting in a 10 or 15 mile MTB ride in the Headlands before work, and never worrying about the traffic on the way back home.

https://kdeborde.smugmug.com/gallery/417032/1/16685663
  9. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Me too. I was just looking at bicycles last weekend - street rider that didn't cost an arm and a leg.
  10. MaddBrit

MaddBrit meh

Oddometer:
    Lemond.

Beautifully made cycles...

[​IMG]
  11. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

I was always a fan of Lemond - incredible rider/athlete, and his comeback was unbelievable.

That said, I heard his bikes are also made in China, like everyone elses?

Are there any American made bikes anymore? I even heard Klein now makes them in China too:huh

anyone know?
  12. k12steve

k12steve DON'T REWARD SUCKAGE

Oddometer:
  13. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    The Specialized I looked at was made in Taiwan. At least they are a democracy.
  14. Bert

Bert Fair / Balanced

Oddometer:
    I believe Trek frames are made in Wisconsin. Components are from everywhere I suppose. Shimano is Japanese, but who knows where their plants are. :dunno
  15. Bert

Bert Fair / Balanced

Oddometer:
  16. motojedi

motojedi been there

Oddometer:
    Lemond, Gary Fisher, and Klein are all owned by Trek. The higher-end bikes of each brand, and all Kleins, are made in Wisconsin; the less-expensive, in China.
  17. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    +1

Most efficient, adaptable bicycle out there. Put on skinny tires and race it in a crit, fat knobby tires and ride it like a mtn bike. (at least I do!)

I love my Gunnar Crosshairs. Very nice riding bicycle!

There's a bunch of lower cost options: Surly is the one that comes to mind first.

HTH,

M
  18. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Ride em and race em fairly frequently. Once you remember the ONE important safety hint (NEVER EVER STOP PEDALING!) you'll be OK.

M
  19. Mulekick

Mulekick 2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer:
    These guy's are 2 doors down from Woody's Wheel Works in Denver.Don't quote me on this but I believe he has a stake in it as well.PM him and see what he can do for you.

I saw some of thier work while in Denver and the welder did amazing stuff....

http://www.davincitandems.com/singles.html
  20. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    If you've got disc mounts, you can turn any mtb into a road-wheeled bike... The outer dia of a 700x23c tire is almost exactly the same as a 26x1.95-2.125 tire. I had an F2000 that I was gonna toss some road bars on and race it as a cross bike. Then I bought a cross bike.

M