2013 Latin America Rider Rallye - Everyone's Welcome

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by bananaman, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Deals can be worked out easily and besides will only be cheaper if we are camping. I stayed for free last time I was there, just paying for dinner and breakfast. Lots of other options for headquarters down around CC area on easier paved roads.
  2. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    OK But did he also spend a lot of money :evil
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I don't think the bear place is up to $120, but maybe I'm wrong (not unusual). He's an ex-cop from Ohio and does host some tour groups.

Regardless, you want to base in Creel. That's where the most services/stuff are close. Los Pinos Hotel, smack in the downtown (relatively speaking - stretch your imagination, or get a buzz on), was about $25 usd for 2 persons, secure courtyard-type parking, and decent rooms the last time I was there. Stayed there maybe 8 or so times, I think triples were about $30. Unless things have changed, there's one real bar in town, and it's two blocks away....something like that, anyway. Sometimes a few Euro chicks show up.....

The used-to-be KOA campground down at the end of the town strip has 2 person cabins for $50 usd or so, and tent camping. They charge $3 for a beer at their bar.

I've done Margarita's, too. She has two places in Creel, plus the hi-$ one away from everything in/near Batopilas.

If you're there for a week or so, you'll probably be bouncing between Creel and Urique....with maybe a Chinipas overnight, depending on how and what you want to ride. Alamos, on the western foothills of the sierras, has some fancy and historic hacienda rooms, if you want to shovel out the bucks.
  4. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Also know another guy in Alamos who's got some property we could probably camp on for a roaming rally. He's got a real nice set up on the edge of town.

Edit: Well scratch that, Arthur is a good soul RIP
    [​IMG]

Have to go for a visit and see if his wife is still living in the area.
  5. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    We should resolve the issue of dating.

If Throttlemeister is interested in hitting the boring rallye a couple of hundred miles north of Boaz, then maybe we should aim for the weekend before? This would give him time to woo the gals at The Lonesome Dove, party with the hippies in Gays Mills, and ride the TWAT up to Cornucopia. From there, it's an easy couple of hours to Duluth and the Boring Rallye.

I might even tag along the TWAT.

Cannonshot's smugmug has the maps for the TWAT irrc.
  6. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    Albeit for me to say as I don't know any of you fellows: why is it called LARR meet up if it's not being held in Latin America? I'm assuming it's for people that have ridden in Latin America? I would be game to join in...

Thanks,
    what car??
  7. bananaman

Oddometer:
    It was originally called the US-Based Latin America Rider Rallye. It was actually originally just going to be me and Ken each riding half-way between Kansas City and Madison to have a beer. The winter before, while Barb and I were riding South, Ken was riding North. Somewhere along the way we missed each other. So we promised that we'd make up for it by having a beer. One of us or both of us accidentally told somebody else, and the next think, a few dozen other lunatics were saying, "I LIKE BEER TOO!!!" We took a vote and settled on meeting in Colorado because it was less inconvenient for everybody. Now, something like 5 or 6 years later, it looks like Ken isn't going to make it, but Throttlemeister will. This will make me, Ken, and John equally incompetent, since Ken hasn't missed one before, I missed the one in New Mexico (I was having a tantrum on account of having been temporarily banned from advrider, which is something we should all aspire to- I think Ken has been banned, and John's ban is coming any day), and John missed last year's at my place in Wisconsin.

Does that confuse you enough, or should I go on about hand dug whales?
  8. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    Bananaman thanks for the history of such event. I don't know all the handle to names yet, but I too like beer (actually brew my own). Depending on when this event will kick off or be held, I'm down. Currently in Guatemala and depending on whether I get an extension or not on my moto permit, will be leaving Guate sometime in May, sooner if no permit granted. I have an open schedule, just want to get back to the states in time to make more money to head back south come first of the year. Though I can work as I go along (when back in the states mind you), so yeah I'm game to try and make it. Is there any idea when/where it will be held this year? Is there an open invite or just for those in the know?

Thanks again,
    what car??
    aka Juan

So what are hand dug whales? Where do they come into play?
  9. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    blah blah blah....... got a date yet? You're going to party with some gays in Hippie Mills:evil
  10. bananaman

Oddometer:
    It's a fairly open invite.

The date will probably be the week before the Very Boring Rally, which is scheduled for Aug 23-25. If I do my math right, ours would be Aug 16ish. Now go ask Throttlemeister if that works with the steel in his leg.

The "Very Boring Rallye" is a stroke of aerostich marketing genius. It's up north, in Duluth, MN.

If any of you are unfamiliar with the TWAT, aka the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, it follows as many non-paved roads as possible from Illinois to Lake Superior. I rode it from Prairie du Chien to Cornucopia a few years ago. If you like off-pavement riding, or if you need practice before going south of the US border. It's a nice ride through very-rural Wisconsin, especially through Amish and Mennonite country. Once you get into the northern third of Wisconsin it gets into the Chequamagon National Forest, and if you only pay attention half the time, you'll see deer, bear, and maybe elk, wolves, coyotes, and cougars. The trail ends in the hamlet of Cornucopia, on the south shore of Lake Superior.

If you want to do a really, really run ride, go to Hayward and then turn West towards Duluth and follow the mini-continental divide, the one that divides the Great Lakes water shed and the Mississippi water basin.

Or, when you get to Cornucopia, turn right, and keep Lake Superior on your left until you get to Duluth, in about 1500 miles. Bring your passport because you'll be going into Canada.

Usually around this time of year (April), we start talking about who is coming and what kinds of presentations will be made. Anybody who is interested in riding Latin America is free to bring up questions.

Last year we had a gynecologist from La Cross ask an awful lot of extremely dumb questions about riding Mexico and Guatemala. By the end of the weekend I'd drunk most of his beer. A few months later, he and his girlfriend were having an awful lot of fun in Mexico and Guatemala. Or maybe Honduras. Somehow he made it down there and back and even though we tried to give him terrible advice, he survived. Which is proof that the LARR might be worth attending for Noob's.

Regarding the specific location:

Boaz, WI, has two bars and a convenience store. It's about 8 miles to Richland Center, WI, which is where Frank Lloyd Wright got born, and where Joseph Stalin's daughter Svetlana Alliluyeva lived most of her life. Richland Center has a hospital, a Walmart, and a motorcycle shop. My farm has barns and sheds where you might find tools to fix just about anything but we can only weld steel, not aluminum. It's a working farm, with cattle and horses, and in late August we might be making a little bit of hay.

I'm still open to having it anywhere else.
  11. BobLoblaw

Oddometer:
    OK August 16 works for me. Put me on the list for a room in the mansion
  12. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Hope to make it myself. Next year this thing needs to get down to CC finally.
  13. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Probably Attendees:

Throttlemeister
    Bobloblaw
    What Car??
  14. patched

patched Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Max I was there last year on the versys. Thats the same weekend as the central adventure rally in Eagle River. I'l have to make a last minute desission, or do both. don't hold a place in the house for me i'l hammock camp again. I think this was at your place:freaky[​IMG]
  15. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If and when it does, I will try to make serious plans.
    I'd probably stay around there for a couple of weeks for adrenalin spikes and cheap relaxation.
  16. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista Supporter

Oddometer:
    "If" I can make it one of you guys can be my date and we can have a "gay" old time in Hippie Mills and keep Allan happy.
    After all, at my age "gay" refers to feelings of being "carefree", "happy", or "bright" and that's what ALARR's all about, isn't it?
  17. bananaman

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Not that there's anything wrong with it...

The dirt-bike track is real. Sorry I still don't have photos but maybe I can get Chad to come by. Sorry but I don't know Chad's advrider name, but he's the guy who invented the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail.
  18. bananaman

Oddometer:
    I must not have explained our relationship properly. Chad lives about half an hour from the farm in Boaz. We know all about each other because we're facebook friends.
  19. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Hey, thats me! I certainly would like to come over and share my vast experience of riding nowhere near Latin America. :D
    I certainly would like to come over and meet you guys though, if the timing works out.

I'm pretty busy for most of August, I only have the weekend of 8/3 - 8/4 and the weekend of the VBR open (8/24 - 8/25). August 9-11 is the Symco Shakedown car show, which is a really cool rockabilly reunion and also the first weekend of the Central ADV Rally in Eagle River. The following weekend I'll probably be up in Eagle River for the ADV Rally. The last weekend I have to giude a group on the TWAT route for RIDE Adventures or possibly leave with the CJ Designs crew for his Colorado adventure and the KTM Rally. Busy busy!
  20. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    I would definitely love to join but I'm thinking the weekend of the 16th August is a no go. Damn it Jim!!:baldy. Another weekend before perhaps? After that the only other scheduling issue is possibly burning man but definitely a wedding (I'm the best man, not sure why they call it when trouble is likely to arise, :freaky) on Sept 8th. I wanna go, I wanna go....