Southern Maryland Adventure Rider Crashes and Splashes

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Dorito, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Inaugural Sugar Grove NSA Adventures

So while some were frolicking in the forest, others spent a delightful weekend inaugural adventure at Sugar Grove NSA. Meet the characters;

EOD3MC, Blaster and Dorito:
    [​IMG]

Gail:
    [​IMG]

RFlagg:
    [​IMG]

Gastone:
    [​IMG]

Most folks have seen Sugar Grove NSA from Reddish Knob, but didn’t know they had cabins for rent. While Sugar Grove is a Governement facility, we didn't see any indication of Langier Land, or Monkey Head Shrinking experiments. The “cabins” are nicely adorned living room, two bedrooms, full kitchen, laundry and full bath. Hardly a cabin really.

The cabin grounds:
    [​IMG]

The cabin inside: (Note to self: Take pictures before you muck it all up with kit stewn everywhere)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Why is this man in all my photos?)
    [​IMG]

So, EOD3MC, Blaster and I departed leisurely on Friday AM. The plotted track takes the scenic route into Sugar Grove via Dunkle Hollow. Dunkle Hollow ate me (again) on the switchback, but no worse for the wear really.

[​IMG]

EOD3MC was was feeling cheeky on his new steed and thought it would be great to try to ride the berm through this mud hole. The irony is that the middle track rode really well, hardpack and no rut.

[​IMG]

Crash #2

KAToom Maintence Interlude
    [​IMG]

KAToom Luggage Hauler
    [​IMG]

KAToom Cammo Option
    [​IMG]

Recommend avoiding the Cockleburr bush next time..
    [​IMG]

Flesh Wound:
    [​IMG]

The splashes begin...
    So, feeling lady-like (stop laughing), I thought I'd let EODMC back to lead position. Just as he takes the lead he goes splashing through a mudpuddle. Water apparently has quite some hang-time and with the helmet open douched me pretty hard. :ddog I couldn't see and he couldn't stop laughing...

The weather was nice enough, so we swung through Reddish Knob. The clearest I've ever seen it!

[​IMG]

Sugar Grove from the "heavens"
    [​IMG]

Stand by for part #2
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So, we met Rflagg and Gail by happen-stance in Sugar Grove Friday PM. Gail needed to stock up on his provisions. Nice little store--Post-Master, Dead Animal Currator and Guns and Ammo Dealer all-in-one. Nirvana?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I'd hadn't spent much time with Gail previous to this, and boy is he a 500-ft tall character. We had a lively discussion at dinner about stickers and only really having a sticker on a bike if 1) you'd been there 2)you were actaully affliated with that organization.

He kind of poo-pooed even the TTRU monkier. Gail, next time take the flipping sticker (it will cheaper for all of us!).
  3. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So, despite having brand new bikes (both matching triple black), and street tires RFlagg and Gail decide to join us for the dirt ride. Everything starts well enough, but within the first hour we are being pelted with sleet. After gassing the bikes in Monteray, we head back to woods.

As I start to slow down and put my blinker, and Dorito goes down. So there I am lead bike, sliding on my back down the center of the tarmac. For those that haven't been fortuitous enough to have the experience, it's actually quite relaxing to just slide down the road. It's quite flat for one, and an interesting combination of G-forces!

The skid mark (and Gail in the ditch..)
    [​IMG]

The gouge in the pavement:
    [​IMG]

Surprisingly little damage:
    [​IMG]

Bent the foot peg bracket:
    [​IMG]

Now, while Blaster is watching his wife slide down the road like ricochet rabbit, Gail calls "ditch". He decides that he's going to sympathetically crash his new 4,000 mile on the odometer bike. He actually did a nice job of putting the bike in a soft spot. He was mentally hoping that EOD3MC wouldn't be wanting the same ditch. Really, now we are fighting for ditch rights :rofl

[​IMG]
    Blaster sees his foot pinned and goes to his aid:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Honestly, I really couldn't tell you what went wrong or what I would have done differently in the future. I just think it was old crappy pavement, which was slicker than snot with perhaps a bit of sneet covering it, and a touch less rear brake. Both bikes starting sliding about the same spot.

I guess Gail could now join the ranks of TTRU and wear his sticker proudly!
    [​IMG]

You ain't getting to I-81 from here...EVAR!
    [​IMG]

This place is goolish at best..
    [​IMG]
  4. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    All rides were big bike friendly and were done by RFlagg42 and Gail using street tires...good job guys!
    Day 1 Friday, 195 miles
    [​IMG]
    Day 2 Saturday, 161 miles
    [​IMG]
    Day 3 Sunday, 243 miles
    [​IMG]
  5. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    It seems as though that I might be lacking the skills of writing RRs. You guys for hire? Oh never mind, I'll just leave all the video and pictures on the computer until I retire.:D
  6. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    A few black GSA's getting splashed!

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="318" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1819423104_9jqffNb?width=425&height=318"></iframe>

Dorito splashing..
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="318" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1819403724_Qtmp5ht?width=425&height=318"></iframe>

A stop homeward bound..
    [​IMG]

Clouds lifting..
    [​IMG]

Artsy...
    [​IMG]
  7. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    No wonder BMW promotes this adventure touring crap. Easiest way to sell parts to happy customers.:evil
  8. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    The "trick" to writing is always start with what you know--even if it means that is the end or middle of any story. You can always cut/copy/move them later. Also, don't fret over "perfect", it's more about caputuring the moment.

But, we'll certainly do this again as it was a fabulous time. Maybe in the fall. The cabins were very economical ($70/night), breakfast $3 all you can eat, and dinner was averaging $15/plate.

Thanks for comaderie!
  9. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a great time riding with everyone, and hanging out afterwards... mostly listening to Gail. Mother of christ, he's funny. I managed to keep it upright on Saturday though I had a few close calls. Thanks guys for putting this together. I only had to show up and ride. That's a win in my book.
  10. joints4sale

Oddometer:
    But did they help you put it on the center stand?:D
  11. blaster11

Oddometer:
    No, but I did help Dave put his on the center stand. :D
  12. blaster11

Oddometer:
    We got busy riding on Saturday and didn't get around to eating lunch until late in the afternoon....don't mess with Dave's food! Nice plate!!!
    [​IMG]
  13. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks for not hitting me whilst I skid on my back down the road! You are by far the fastest TTRU unit deployer...it looks as if only one photo of Dorito napping in the street may exist before you lofted her to her wheels!
  14. blaster11

Oddometer:
    And here is what happens after missing lunch and drinking a 5 hour energy drink.
    [​IMG]
  15. blaster11

Oddometer:
    We also stopped on the way out at this little BBQ place on RTE 33 between Elkton and Harrisonburg....good food and good atmosphere.
    http://www.hankssmokehouse.com/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow
    looks like a great weekend:clap
  17. badguy

badguy Susan

Oddometer:
    Good stuff guys, sucks I missed out.
  18. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a good time following behind Bruce and Dave. It's nice riding with good, experienced riders. Gives me a chance to watch and learn. :clap
  19. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  20. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    So after listening to the discussion about why cleaning a bike is good for maintenance and awareness...I cleaned "Trebuchett" this weekend...

Glad I did, found a few things that need attention:
    Rear brake pads need to be replaced
    Front brake lines are rubbing on the inside of the forks
    Left side fork saver is torn up and needs to be replaced
    Chain and sprockets will likely need to be replaced before the CDR

I did manage to get the direction reassembled...was having a hell of a time trying to get it back together until I remembered the "hot water" idea (I think Eric mentioned it)...that worked like a charm.

More parts to order :evil