GM Shoddiness & Crappy Build & Materials Quality

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Nytelyte, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    My wife's Mazda MPV has 200k on it, runs like a top. I've been driving it to and from work every day for the last 2 weeks while I wait for the radiator for my Volvo. 140 mile round trip.

Speaking of the Volvo, 250k miles, and rarely an issue. The radiator is seeping a bit at the seam, but it's original, so I can't blame it.

The Durango we sold had 240k on it, our old minivan had 490k on it when we finally sold it, and its still running.

We rarely get rid of cars until well after 200k miles. I hate car payments!
  2. nskitts

nskitts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix and it aged better than my 1997 Honda Accord. It had the 3800 V6, had great torque, and got almost 30MPG. At 160,000 miles all it required was a A/C blower motor relay and a new starter.

And then I looked out the window last winter after I got home and saw this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now where is that pesky recall letter about underhood fires related to oil dripping on the exhaust manifold...we will get around to it eventually...:eek1
  3. JR Greenhorn

JR Greenhorn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I literally laughed out loud when I read about that the first time a few years ago (we owned a 2004 Grand Prix at the time, which I think was not included in the recall). They didn't bother with the source of the fire, which is the leaking valve cover gaskets common to all 3.8's (including our 2004's Series III engine with it's "improved" gaskets that still leaked), which dribble oil onto the exhaust manifolds. Instead, they replace some plastic parts of the spark plug wire guides which allow the fire to spread. Classic GM half-assed approach to solving a problem.
  4. DeBandi

DeBandi Exploring Alabama

Oddometer:
    sky947098_1126906414016986_8067176846299903752_n.jpg
    Thankful to have this old Sky.. Not many of them still around...
  5. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    They are here in Florida.

DeBandi likes this.
  6. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    My perception is they can all suck regardless of who makes them. There is not an auto maker out there that has a perfect record and they all need maintenance or repair at some point in time. Obviously the neglected ones need more.

I personally like GM trucks, cant comment on the cars since i have never owned one. I am comfortable with the quality of GM trucks and have never had one leave me stranded on the side of the road ever so i have zero doubts about reliability/durability. I can also do my own work on them if i choose to and have not really had to do much, just basic maint that any vehicle needs and wear parts like brakes and tires. I use mine like trucks, i tow a lot, i haul stuff a lot, i plow snow etc. They get used hard but they also get taken care of. My last one had well over 200k on the clock and never a major repair, the one before it the same. My 2014 has been flawless.