New Zumo 340/350 GPS discussion

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Moto Mikey, May 24, 2012.

1. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. sportbiker2000

sportbiker2000 sportbiker2000

Oddometer:
    It's about time... I've been out of the GPS loop for a while as I've been happy with my Zumo 450 for a few years now.

I recently went on Ebay looking for a cheap backup Zumo for a cross country trip I am doing and they seem to be going for more now than when they were new! I also understand that there is no 3.5mm hardwired audio out on the Zumo 220? :huh

I hope these new units at least have this...
  3. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    These should be considered a replacement for the 2xx series, rather than an alternative for the 5xx & 6xx series. The form factor of these is rather good, but I worry about the speaker mounted on the rear panel.
  4. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The added functionality sounds marginally more useful than the 220, but I don't get the fatter form factor. How is this an 'improvement' over the sleeker 220? Also, I hate to see mini-USB plugs on anything that's supposed to be waterproof. While plugged into the unit it might be fine, but when the GPS is off the bike and the power cord is hardwired to the bike, the first time that little plug gets a drop of water on it, it's a goner. Those microscopically small pins were not designed with weather resistance in mind.
  5. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    The USB connector has a rubber cover on it and isnt used as a power connector when on the bike cradle.
  6. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right -- there does appear to be a proper cradle mount on this one. This would be a huge improvement over the 220, which does use a mini-USB for power on the bike.
  7. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. littlefield

littlefield Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Silly me. I thought cheaper would be less than $700.
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it... this price was a shock to me.
  10. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. HighAlpineDrifter

HighAlpineDrifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping they can't sell that many and that they get the message.Putting a waterproof case around one of their standard units should bring about a $400 premium. :bluduh I simply refuse.
  12. ararat

ararat Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer:
    Auckland the land of the rain and clouds...
    Garmin have released a new GPS for motorcycles
    Still on the expensive side at 699$us but lets hope it does loads more then the 550/650
    [​IMG]

Engadget
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I wonder what the pricing will be on the 340 and what the differences are from the 350.
  14. Lifes2short

Lifes2short Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $699 and it doesn't include traffic? Maybe my expectations are too high...
  15. HighAlpineDrifter

HighAlpineDrifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it follows their other pricing schemes, it'll probably be $599.
  16. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    It's officially released now, apparently:

"Today we announced the zūmo 350LM GPS navigator – a stylish, rugged, sunlight readable, high-resolution and glove-friendly touchscreen device that helps keep motorcyclists on track, on and off the road. Mounted on the handle bars or in the car (motorcycle and car mounts included), the new zūmo 350LM’s design offers the flexibility riders want.

“New features, like the Service History Log, lane assist with junction view and TrackBack are just a few of the reasons the zūmo has become an essential tool for motorcyclists all over the world,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “It’s light-weight, it includes lifetime map updates, transmits guidance information via compatible Bluetooth™ headsets/helmets and can handle the toughest weather conditions¹.”

Garmin zūmo 350LM—Made for Bikers, by Bikers

[​IMG]
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Expect it to do somewhat less - it is wedged between the zumo 220 and the zumo 550. Doesn't have the HW or SW features of the zumo 66x.

Cheers,
  18. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    Take a close look at the specs on the Garmin site:

MP3 - nope
    XM - nuh huh

:huh
  19. skyguy

skyguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, engadget just had a little piece about this unit today. The "maintenance log" feature is nice, but I'm already using "MyRide" (an iPhone app) that keeps those same records. And they're "announcing" BaseCamp like it's something new, even though it's been out for some time now.

And still Garmin refuses to add any kind of wireless data connectivity! C'mon, Garmin, the hardware is already installed. You could fix this with a software update.

How about letting us upload and download routes and tracks via Bluetooth? No, you'd rather we crack open the back door every time we need to exchange data. I can understand hard-wiring for the big stuff, like map downloads and software updates, but routes and tracks are very small files - less than a megabyte each - so why not let us use the built-in Bluetooth in this very obvious way?
  20. radon222

radon222 14GSAW

Oddometer:
    Rather than seeing built-in wireless...I think your more likely to see things like "Smartphone Link" more often.