Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
    So for the record, ADV world, it is indeed the FA226HH for the front and FA140HH for the rear on the Tiger 800.
  2. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome.

I used to manage a parts department. Rather than act "holier than thou" to my customers, I'd always take the time to enlighten them as to what information is out there. In the end, I think it makes for a more informed and appreciative group of people.
  3. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha! I must've been editing to add the application link as you posted the above response.
  4. The Jerk

The Jerk Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer:
    No you added it but I was an idiot and was looking on the wrong page of the catalog! :lol3
  5. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    With all your wrenching talent on the 1050, I expected that you could read a catalog. :rofl
  6. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the ebc hh pads are deffo the way to go. Much better bite & feel.

Sent from my Tiger 800
  7. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to get worried. Does riding a Tiger make us, ummmm, slower. First one guy puts his front wheel on backwards, then another can't read a catalogue... sh!t maybe there's something to this. I forgot to plug the fuel pump back in when I was checking the valves on my wife's Street Triple and had to pull the whole fricking thing apart again. Now that was a Street Triple but my Tiger was watching me the whole time. :huh :lol3
  8. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's OK.

I just did a F&R tire change on a Yamaha Stratoliner. The selling Yamaha dealer did the last set of tires, a couple years ago. The front wheel was in backwards. Easy to tell, when only one side of the wheel has a hub cover and the other side is exposed with a nice arrow to tell the "mechanic" which way it goes. On top of that, they scratched the front fender and only tightened one of the rear caliper bolts. Every bolt I encounted was of a differing level of tightness. Some people have laughed at my religious use of a torque wrench, but, I know that somebody's life is in my hands.

Likewise, I just did a F&R tire change on a Victory Vision. The selling Victory dealer did the last tire change. Both wheels were gouged like someone was operating a tire machine for the first time. At least, all the bolts felt evenly torqued.

I get a lot of business, in my home shop, because I use a No-Mar tire machine, torque wrenches, and give fair prices on tires and services. Glad to know my OCD is good for something, other than stress.
  9. bross

Oddometer:
    Crap, see I'm doing it all wrong. I have the same setup but haven't been charging my riding buddies a damn thing to change their tires. I'm like you and try to use a torque wrench any time I'm working in the shop. A good friend who is a very good mechanic laughs at me and says the last time he used a torque wrench was to pass his test in school. He does use a torque wrench for heads etc.
  10. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
  11. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish you were in the Bay Area... I'd come to you for service. I love OCD mechanics...

JG
  12. live2ridetahoe

Oddometer:
    Is that the Orange County Backcountry Discovery Route? What are we going to take side roads from mall to mall? Maybe we all get fake boobies at the end of the trip...

JG
  13. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Opps fixed :)
  14. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine paid for itself in 3-1/2 months.

I tried to get the shop I used to work at to buy a No-Mar. They wouldn't do it. With what one set of scratched wheels cost them, they could've paid for the machine. Some people just don't get it, which is why they're nearly out of business (from ~100 sales a month down to ~13 a month). *shakes head*

:lol3 Thanks!
  15. live2ridetahoe

Oddometer:
    Man... It was funnier the other way...

JG
  16. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
  17. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like my Tiger XC wants to constantly pull to the right. It never really bothered me on day rides.....but, just completed a 3k mile ride to the Ozarks (which has fantastic twisties by the way) and when slabbing it home to South Texas, it became a PIA.

In other words, while going 70-80 mph down the highway, if you take your hands off the bars......the bike will start to drift to the right. Which means I'm constantly having to push forward on the left bar (with light pressure)....or pull back on the right bar....(i.e., counter steering) to keep the bike going straight.

I love this bike, but would really like to resolve this issue.

Does everyones Tiger do this? Is there a fix?

Thanks!
  18. Jeuneyer

Jeuneyer Junior

Oddometer:
    Easy fix for the issue you are having is to lean to the left....:muutt:rofl
  19. bross

Oddometer:
    Mine doesn't do this unless you consider the crown in the road. Most lanes will slope slightly to the right for drainage even if they appear to be flat. I don't take my hands off the bars, usually but when I owned a BMW R1200RT with cruise control, I used to set the cruise, put my feet up on the highway pegs, lean back with my hands off the bars and try to just cruise down the road. It was pretty bloody amazing how much body english it took to keep the damn bike going straight. So much so that I would just give up the calisthenics and place one hand or one finger is all it took to make simple corrections to the bars to keep the bike running straight.

Check your front end alignment and rear wheel alignment to make sure both wheels are running true and in line.
  20. TerraUnFirma

TerraUnFirma Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer:
    Nothing like that with mine...I've got an O-ring between the bar end and the handgrip to act as a poor-man's (read KLR owner's) cruise control and unless there is a very pronounced crown in the road, I can ride with both hands off the bars pretty much indefinitely. If there is an unusually pronounces crown in the road, a little body english can keep me going straight.

Might want to check your rear wheel alignment. Have you or a dealer adjusted chain tension?

Cheers