1986 XR600R Basket case - Hope to revive!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LandsVW, Oct 20, 2012.

1. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "83 XL 125 112 55
    84 XL 118 110 65 Cali
    84 XL 120 112 65
    85 XL 115 112 65 Cali
    85 XR 122 45
    85 XL 118 115 62
    86XL 115 112 62
    86XR 128 110 45
    87XL 118 115 62
    87XL 118 112 62 cali

My current configuration is 125 115 42 XR carbs with XR needles and enlarged needle jets. My favorite yet. Knowing me I will play around with it some more come summer. I am kinda thinking 130 108 might be fun to try. "

found the above on either the XR or XL 600 thread.
    I took out my left main jet and my idle jet. I have a 125 and a 45 in that carburetor. So the 45 matches up with the year but the main doesn't. Wonder why previous owner has gone leaner? I guess I should pull the right carb jet too and see what I have. I cleaned the idle jet and got it to fire on every kick, but even with the choke on it doesn't want to stay running although if I kick it enough, once it gets a little warmer it keeps on running. I also cleaned, but haven't installed, the air filter so once that is on it may richen it up enough to compensate. It was pretty dirty and I should probably throw a Unifilter on there...

I also still wonder if the XR400 exhaust and factory baffle isn't causing it to be a little too much back pressure? However, I was also wondering if that would only be affected at higher RPM's such as going down the highway under load?

Just thoughts as I get her tuned up.
  2. Huskylove

Huskylove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In five years of building, selling, and repairing electric bicycles I have never, ever seen a lithium battery of any kind WITH A BMS!!!

Ever catch fire, leak, swell, or any issues of the sort.

If you use them within their designed limits and do not try to make them something they are not. They are very reliable and have no issues.

Lead Acid is dead. Time to jump ship.
  3. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...interesting... thanks!
  4. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:

Is your idle maybe low? Or is your pilot jet lean? Also make sure you don't have any air leaks between the carbs and cylinder head.
  5. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I just wouldnt use one on anything that was electric start only. When they eventually die there is no warning or getting weak first. Eventually youll be stuck.
  6. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the bike on a 15 mile run today! cruisin' along at 60! anyway, it starts great hot runs great, but is a booger bear cold. It will fire, then put put put and die out. The choke doesn't seem to do anything?

I've done google research today. first, one person mentioned if the float bowls are switched then the choke doesn't operate correctly (or at all). How do I know which is which? I've only had the left one off.

second - my idle screw was at 1.5 turns (left carb, I assume the right has none). Google research shows 2.5 is correct? anyone want to help out? I thought when the screw was at the back of the carb it was letting in more air, therefore a 2.5 setting would be leaner?

If I can figure out how to start the thing w/o a 20 minute process, I'll be "In like Flynn".

thanks! L
  7. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, so I got crackin' today and pulled the float bowls off... Guess what? they were reversed! No wonder the dang thing wouldn't start and the choke had no effect! I bought some spray carb cleaner, went to work. some crud was in the main jets but nothing too serious. I have 125, 125, 45 as jets btw.

I put it all back together with new allen head bolts, set the air screw to 1 3/8's - which after more research seems to be the setting for a dual carb bike, and it fires right up! She runs really sweet.

How many years have people been fighting this bike b/c someone put the float bowls on the wrong side? Who knows...

pay attention! :) the left bowl has a small brass fitting right below the choke that enters another cavity and is either blocked or opened by the choke lever. The right bowl has the castings but has not been drilled out and the brass fitting is not there.

spring break starts next Friday for me! I can see a day trip dual sport adventure as a possibility in about 1 and 1/2 weeks, here in Southern Oregon!
  8. Carter Pewterschmidt

Carter Pewterschmidt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been through a bunch of these old dual and I must say that people do love messing them up. Good find!
  9. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't messed with a dual carb 1 cyl. bike before this one, but am learning.

Went out yesterday evening, flipped up the choke, started on the 3rd kick! That's what I'm talking about!:clap Was cold too, probably in the mid 50's inside the garage.

Got my final 2 projects finished - a new air filter and rear brake switch installed with a homemade bracket. NOW I can go ride!
  10. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    516bb4a72eae1bdc8a6e507e440e8c7f_zpscba65161.jpg http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u446/LandsVW/maidenvoyagebike_zps9d8750ad.jpg

I guess my thread is about done! I am still looking for factory settings so I can set my suspension up and have a baseline to play with, if anyone knows what the settings should be for front and rear shocks.

Anyway, here is my maiden voyage across a logdoff road and over hill and dale! 25 miles, no probs. Also, got my tags, registration and title done. YEE HAW! Ride on XR'rs!
  11. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a great job! Basket case to cheap DS ride,,,awesome! I enjoyed the thread a lot.
  12. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  13. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The last piece of my elcheapo adventure bike/dual sport came in the mail yesterday - the official Oregon title and registration

I have sold almost all the XL parts and have recouped about 200+ dollars. I should have kept track, but Frame, head, seat, tank, sidecovers sold for 90$. rear rack sold for 20$ (I think). carbs sold for 50? XR stator for 30$. I think I have someone that will buy the lower engine but will not be sure until next month when he drives up here from CA.

I figure I have about 500$ total wrapped up in this project, including the 144$ for out of state title/registration.

I think I'll end up putting rings and valve guides it, maybe next winter as it does seem to use a little oil.

However, starts easily and runs with plenty of power. All lights work. Looks good although the tank is pretty ugly close up.

that's it!

Logging roads await!

:1drink
  14. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Bmblbee

Bmblbee Dust Monkey

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a solid running '85 XR600, and reading this thread today made me want the bike even more.
    LandsVW likes this.
  16. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is awesome! these old bikes are not perfect but certainly well worth the fixing up. I contrast a 10,000$ KTM to a 1000$ old Honda and find that the over all fun factor is pretty similar. Plus, the added excitement of 'is something gonna blow' (or start, LOL) gives it just that much more in the adventure category. I've put about 300 miles on mine, and a few issues have come up but I'm working through them as time allows.

:clap
  17. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    good job bud! enjoy!
  18. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that the bike continues to burn oil pretty badly, seems to have rather low compression and has a lot of piston slap. Nothing has come apart and it runs good. I am worried it will self destruct so I quit riding it in June and started saving my money for an top end rebuild.

UPDATE as of September! my brother in law found a wrecked 87 ( a friend had hit another friend on a 4-wheeler - bent forks, and rear suspension has torn the frame at the attachment point) that has a rebuilt engine. I got it for 200$.

It has great compression. It was sitting for a while so I didn't even try to start it with its original carbs. I currently have the engine out of the frame. I'm swapping the electronics over and will reinstall in my bike later this week.

Can't wait to ride!
  19. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the better engine yesterday. Several issues. Drain plug was stripped. Helicoiled it. Removed side cover to flush the aluminum chips and found the small oring between the the case and cover was mangled. also, banjo bolts only had 1 copper gasket each. Adjusted valves. All were tight.

Anyway, started right up! Checked oil pressure to head, and took it on a 10 mile ride with no problems!

Doesnt have the thin metal gasket between valve cover and head. I hope that doesn't cause me grief. Prior owner rode it a lot so here's hoping.

Not super impressed with the rebuild, careless builder fwit. But she's alive and sounds very tight.
  20. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

There is a reason Honda made that gasket steel. It acts as a spacer for the cam center journal. This is from a XR600 I worked on recently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]