Rear-rack for KTM EXC

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crazybrit, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Northern Gravelholic

Oddometer:
    The racks supplied by 2 Wheel Central are Kytech Racks. 2 Wheel Central is an authorized dealer.
  2. Eric in SD

Eric in SD n00b

Oddometer:
    I ordered the krytech rack from 2 wheel central. Thanks for the tip on this one. It looks clean and has an underseat mount that makes the rack very rigid. There is just too much drama with the PMB rack.
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Giantloop bags are easier to mount, hold tons of gear, and don't stress the subframe. After mounting them you can attach as much stuff onto the top of the bag as a rack could hold.
  4. otterf18

otterf18 Inderro (sp!)

Oddometer:
    Would it be possible to mount a giant loop bag over the top of a kyteck rack? My thinking is the rack would be great for short hauls and the rack might also help support the giant loop bag when used.
  5. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Giantloop works better sitting on the rear part of the seat and front part of the rear fender without a rack. They are quite versatile though so I'm sure you could get one over a rack. The beauty of Giantloop is it spreads the weight out over entire subframe, much like a passenger riding pillion would. the other really cool thing is you can bungie/strap on tent, pad, sleeping bag onto the top of the GL, so it serves as a mounting point much like a rack would.
    Jim
  6. ekms377

ekms377 The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer:
  7. Prothos

Prothos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    any one seen a rack that would a 1997 ktm 250 exc
  8. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And while we're at it...anyone have a source for the new(er) Husabergs - 390/450/570?
  9. goodspark

goodspark Baja Rider

Oddometer:
  10. Rufjeep

Rufjeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Geddy

Geddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ehhh, I'm not really trusting that rack too much.. I'm trying to get more details about exactly how the thing mounts but it looks like, as you said, a big lever. They rate the weight limit at 20 pounds but with the force of hitting large potholes, and just general crap in the woods, that is going to keep pushing down..

Any experience with these, anybody?
  12. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Got discussed earlier in the thread (bottom of 1st page), link is no longer valid, but same design. Back them people had same fears about it but no first hand experience then either.

I'm about to list my Pro Moto Billet RFS rack in the Flea Market. I'm selling it plus the OEM fender/airbox plastics (already trimmed to fit). I'll try and list it today, been procrastinating :D
  13. goodspark

goodspark Baja Rider

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly, doesn't inspire any confidence...
  14. DARKRYDER

DARKRYDER Hung Up My Boots for Now

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a new or used Krytech rear rack for my 2010 530 if anyone has one or a lead. I'm not getting any response from their website.
  15. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a rack, but this is what I've been using for the past year, and I'm very happy with it:
    http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=144

Very versatile, waterproof and no zippers to break.

For day trips I put tools in a small bag on top. For long trips tools plus air filters and tubes go in a medium bag on the right, sleeping bag in a medium bag on the left, clothes in a small bag on top, and tent on top of that. I've also strapped gas jugs to the sides instead of bags.

The only thing wrong is that the left side strap should be longer to fit on a 525EXC like it's pictured. I just added a strap slide for a buck and so it's single looped instead of double.
  16. gordo5

gordo5 Roadkill

Oddometer:
    For more modest needs, I really like the bags from these guys

http://dirt-bike-gear.com/lfb.html

Why have a rack at all? This mounts firmly to the fender and has plenty of room for tools, phone, wallet, lunch, etc. The compression straps, which has the bag at about 1/3 size in the pic, keeps everything in place and not bouncing about. Really well thought out designs, I think, and good value at $40. On a different bike I used the number plate bag and really liked it too.

[​IMG]
  17. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Northern Gravelholic

Oddometer:
    Email me and I will get you one.
  18. wvridgerider

wvridgerider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use wolfman T-12. I like them a lot and you can strapa bag to it for more room. Only down fall is that i sit on the strap cause I am tall.
  19. otterf18

otterf18 Inderro (sp!)

Oddometer:
    I've had this rack on my 2010 450EXC-CE for three years. I've brutalized it...1500 mile trip on trails from Utah to Canada...1000 mile trip on trails in MT...1100 miles on rugged single-track in Colorado. I've overloaded it with extra gas tanks and large bags. I use it with the DirtBagz setup and it works well. It has never bent or broken. It may not be as pretty as some of the others but I actually think the black looks better with my orange/black KTM and it works!
    clax likes this.
  20. falcn

falcn Squidless Soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn the Kytech for the 2002-2007 is discontinued. :(

I have the Nomadic, but reluctant to really use it with my Mosko 80L system because of the lack of front support. Maybe I will modify it with front arms similar to the Kytech.