Socks for a multiweek trip

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by kyled1, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Deacon66

Deacon66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wear soccer socks... they hold their shape, come up nice and high and reduce/eliminate any boot rub (for me.) They also stay put... which seems to be a problem with my other socks (weird?) Wash them out every day or as needed. (I bring at least two pair.) They are fairly cheap and very durable.
  2. Smopho

Smopho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I buy mil-spec boot socks at the local Army Navy Surplus store, 3 pair for 10 bucks. They're anti-microbial with fine silver metallic thread woven into the sole area. Easy to wash out, dry quick (but not as fast as poly-propylene micro fiber), and have enough thickness to kill some of the buzz from the pegs.
  3. TonyTooTall

TonyTooTall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    + eleventy million for anything smart wool. I have used them everywhere from up here in Alaska in the dead of winter to down in northern Queensland. Only thing I will wear. And they last so long. I have some pairs that are 5+ years old and still are without holes.
  4. Willwilkins

Willwilkins Dr. Topbox

Oddometer:
    Is this thread serious? Have you really exhausted every other item you're taking with you and have nothing more to think about than socks??!! WTF:rofl
  5. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who gives a fat flying fuck whether he's exhausted every other item he's taking with him. He wanted to create a thread about socks, and did so. What is the point of your post?
  6. Willwilkins

Willwilkins Dr. Topbox

Oddometer:
    Jeez man, get out of bed on the wrong side?! I think the fact that he's doing the TAT with his son is great, sounds like a fantastic trip. I was amazed however though that someone who'd take on a trip like that with his son wouldn't already have the knowledge/experience/opinion on what socks he liked to wear!
  7. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Smartwool or Magellan socks at Academy Sports for 1/3 the price. But you have to look at the label and get the ones with 70% merino wool, the same as Smartwool. Warm and dry.
  8. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    It was mentioned above. I'll hit it again. Your BOOTS will get damp on a long trip. You need socks that will still work if a bit damp.

I use a wool blend. Use any brand you want, just be sure they are comfortable. I really hate seams across my toes. :lol3

Try to dry your boots as much as possible each night. I stuff dirty laundry in them, or those micro dust cloths, this will draw out some moisture.

Someone used christmas lights to dry his boots. Very novel.

I've seen a boot insert, looks like an insole, that was a boot dryer. These will need a current bush.

A dry shoe pays off when it starts getting cold.

Good riding to ya.
  9. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    As was said earlier, gather all of your old clothes and wear them once or twice and chuck them when they are soiled. You will think that your riding skills are improving but you will be lightening your load and easing fatigue. Remember that this method can not be used always, unless you have a huge amount of old clothes. I have used this method a few times over the years. Liberating, actually... YMMV
    Ron
  10. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    Did the complete TAT in 2011, had three pairs of socks, one smart wool and two road gear socks. Tried to wash out the pair I rode in every night. Never wanted for more socks, did end up wearing the smart wool ones more as my boots weren't completely broken in and after one day of long walks the heavy socks helped, plus lots of band aids and mole skin.

That reminds me bring some band aids and mole skin to help with any foot issues!!!!

check my TAT link for packing list, served me very well for a LONG extended trip. I carry less on short rides less.
  11. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on Smartwool. Here in Southern California, in summer or winter, when riding a motorcycle I always wear Smartwool 100% Merino wool socks. They have different type, and I have two different kinds that I wear, both as good.

On a hot day riding all day long, when I take my foot out, it is dry. I don't find them warm or hot in this hit climate zone. They wick moisture very well.

I once rode in rain all day, at the end put my boots on the heating/air conditioning unit along with my washed sock in the hotel. Socks were nicely dried. Boots were still wet. I used the air dryer to dry it further.

Further, I wear Smartwool Tee-Shirts also, along with their underpants . I wear leather pants, with Smartwool underpants to wick moisture. Very effective. Also net that Smartwool Tee-Shirts pack smaller than cotton.
  12. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    I bring my oldest socks on all my trips. Wear them until you can stand the stench, throw them away and put on another pair. Less stuff to wash. I do the same with underwear and T-shirts. Always keep a super clean set for dinner or in case you invited into some ones house.
  13. chewnaut

chewnaut Rob

Oddometer:
    I'm a Wildland firefighter and can wear my Fits socks for 5 days in a row. More specifically I don't take them off once for five days. I sleep in them and sweat in them for 16 hrs a day while standing on hot ambers and carrying 50 lbs of gear, while wearing Whites Smokejumper boots! No smells, no blisters, no foot rot, simply amazing. Also I've tried smartwool, thorlo, and Patagonia brands. None compared to Fits comfort, durability, breath ability, insulation. Just try a pair on and you'll understand the comfort immediately.
  14. greywolves

greywolves Too OLD to be a NOOB - ANYWHERE!

Oddometer:
    Got ONE "Style" in mind? I just looked and saw - medium "Hiker", light "Hiker", runners, etc.?

Thanks for this thread (pun intended)!!! :clap

Always looking for a GREAT pair of socks because i wear 14DD shoes and MOST don't wear well OR last long...
  15. MadtownMaxx

MadtownMaxx more ride than post Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 for wool of appropriate thickness/layers. For my mileage Icebreaker > Smartwool especially on wear/longevity. Equally as soft. Pricey up front but good value over their life. Ibex is another long wearing line but I find it slightly less comfortable.
    Hot/warm temps = liner weights. Double them up with a second light weight or add a heavier weight or simply replace them with a heavier weight to cover a wide range of temps.
    I like over-the-calf length (or "ski" length) regardless of the boot height I wear (but mostly my boots = vendramini marathons).

All my first layers - sox, shorts & shirt - are Icebreaker (ultra-fine merino) wool when on IBA rides, camping rides, etc. Next layer up I often switch to synthetics. This combo prevents stink, is great wicking and offers great body temp regulation, warm or cold weather.

I do recommend cleaning wool clothing with wool-specific detergents: Nikwax, McNett, etc. Which you can tote along in small amounts for occasional hand washing in a basin.

Enjoy your trip,
  16. chokozip

chokozip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have not tried the coconut socks road gear sells I recommend giving them a try.
    I have used the two pair I have for both riding and hiking for the last 3 year.
    They still look and feel new and after a few days of continuous wear they could still go for a few more days.
    There spendy but they have been the socks I have owned.

Sean
  17. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I'd have to disagree.

Bring the least possible, ESPECIALLY with the TAT. More items are only the next town away if needed.

I used two pairs of riding socks for 5 months on the road. I used the Ice Breaker Morino Wool socks. Lightweight ski socks.

Worked great. Yes, they are expensive as all hell, but to this day I'm still using them for riding and snowboarding.
  18. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cure the boot smell with charcoal insoles - about $5 or less at anyplace like Walgreen's Wally World. For me, they last about a month of riding every day in >85F summer temps. Take'em with you to Europe and after about a month, just put in the spares. Your friends will thank you at the end of the day.