Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. mergatroyd

mergatroyd I'm a hooliCAN, not a hooliCAN'T!

Oddometer:
    83 south of Sonoita is pretty sketchy in some spots for sport-bikes. There is some "road construction" that consists of broken pavement in at least two spots, lots of potholes and road cracks waiting for highway funds.

Once you get south of Canelo Rd, the pavement gets lumpy and is quite disconcerting. It's do-able, it just isn't much fun.

I would do this route from Tucson
    <iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Tucson,+AZ&daddr=sonoita,+az+to:S+River+Rd+to:31.41274,-110.90732+to:31.89263,-111.07646+to:31.98044,-111.09311+to:Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=FS-q6wEdcWVj-Skr7SwLQWXWhjEVxxZNOC3Dcw%3BFS5k4wEdgYhn-SmXD22JupTWhjEuj27iTAc8Dw%3BFaJP3wEdxLFj-Q%3BFQRS3wEdSLBj-SlB3n1KALLWhjFEQ5jvjPR-EQ%3BFZak5gEdlBth-SlnwychGILWhjHyac5kJoCTVA%3BFZj75wEditpg-SmpLzf-qSrUhjESpEZp37ELFg%3BFUBB6wEdIpti-Q&aq=0&oq=tucson&sll=31.372546,-110.896339&sspn=0.123554,0.222988&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=13&via=3,4,5&ie=UTF8&ll=31.721159,-110.945435&spn=1.121408,1.757813&z=9&output=embed" frameborder="0" height="480" scrolling="no" width="640"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>
  2. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Could a Montezuma Pass trip be needed? That is not a sport bike pass, but it's a nice ride on a dual sport.
  3. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    Today is my friday, just got home. I'm trying to decide on a ride for tomorrow. I really want to do a 191-180 loop, but it's almost 600 miles in a day. Might be too much. That route you posted, is that going down mission? I've driven that road a lot, it's not in the best condition, is the road south of Sonoita worse?

I need to go get a DL1000 or F800GS, then a 600 mile day would be a piece of cake.
  4. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The weather was perfect for riding.

Mike and I rode up on the west slope of the Whetstone Mnts.

A few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. PhiSig1071

Oddometer:
    My dumbass fucking mutt decided to stick his big nose into a little baby cholla bush today, so I spent all day trying to deal with him and haven't even thought about the bike. Ever try to calm down a 85lbs Dane mix who's flippin' a shit because there's about two dozen needles stuck in his nose? I think I ended up with more cholla needles in me then he did. Still might have to take him to the vet because there's a couple on the side of his nose he wont let me get near.
  6. goodtimes

goodtimes local bum

Oddometer:
    I wish our (and by "our", I mean my girlfriends) dumbass mutt did that instead of sticking her face in the middle of a rattlesnake.

I could have bought 24 new (non-retarded) dogs for what it cost to keep that pile of fur alive. :splat
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Count me in as one who has pulled cholla from my dog (and consequently me). Holy shit that was a painful experience.
  8. PhiSig1071

Oddometer:
    Since we are on the topic of dogs, Beneful is having a contest to win a $500k dog park renovation, and one of the parks here by my house was submitted:

http://www.beneful.com/Dream-Dog-Park/Finalists-2012/Deborah-and-MOLLIE

It would be awesome if we could win, I used to live in Jacksonville, and we had a dog park there with a lake bigger then the entire dog park here by my house. So if you get a second, go vote! (If we win I'll host a party at the park, beer is on me)

Here is the Cholla offender:

[​IMG]
  9. mntdawg

mntdawg NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer:
    With years of trail miles under his pads, my dawg has devolped an acute awarness for cactus.

[​IMG]

The better option.

[​IMG]

Now a critter with an ass that looks like a cactus and runs through the forest was to tempting, it took two men and a pair of vicegrips to remove all the quills from this set of lips.

[​IMG]

One month and we will be in the Sonoran.
  10. PhiSig1071

Oddometer:
    Quills are tough. At least the cholla spines only have small hooks at the end, not barbs, like quills.
  11. SQ Beemer

SQ Beemer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to be in Tucson for work for two weeks, then I am riding out of Tucson on Thursday, November 15. I will be stopping and seeing some friends for dinner in Phoenix that evening, and continuing on.

Should I go north or west?

Anyone want to grab a beer while I am around for the next couple of weeks?

[​IMG]
  12. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same with my Black Lab - he tip toes through the cholla's - its funny to watch. But on occasion he does get one in his paw - thats why I carry a pocket comb and a leatherman.
  13. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Hey Mtn Dawg
    We'll see you down there, I should get there about the same time.
    Rock Dawg
    [​IMG]
  14. goodtimes

goodtimes local bum

Oddometer:
    That all depends on what you want to do. The ride west of PHX pretty much sucks unless you need to get to LA (or the surrounding areas) in a hurry, IMO anyway. Long, flat, & strait. The ride heading north is even longer, but not flat or quite as strait - and definitely not as warm.

I'd be up for a beer sometime - what part of town are you in?
  15. SQ Beemer

Oddometer:
    I have had the Grand Canyon on my mind. Haven't been there since I was 4 or 5 years old.

South area, pretty tame down here. I was considering switching to a hotel in the north part of town, but I'm not a diva about hotel rooms and enjoy saving a couple bucks. That reminds me, I should probably book my room. No flight or rental turd for this trip. :)
  16. SQ Beemer

Oddometer:
    That is a beautiful portrait.
  17. mntdawg

mntdawg NOT FRAGILE OR GREEN

Oddometer:
    That is good to hear. I have a nice list of projects to do, a few that I am a little nervous to do solo.
  18. goodtimes

goodtimes local bum

Oddometer:
    They don't let hooligans or white trash north of River Rd - so all the fun is on the south side. :lol3
  19. alaskasail

alaskasail Arivaca Outback

Oddometer:
    Stick around until after the weekend and meet us up in Arivaca for the yearly (2nd) Outback. We'll do some riding around the back roads along the Mexican border, do some tech stuff and eat BBQ and sourdough pancakes on Sunday. I'm going to get another post up for that in a few minutes.

-
  20. alaskasail

alaskasail Arivaca Outback

Oddometer:
    We'll do it again on the weekend of November 17th 2012. If you want to come up early that's fine. I'll provide a BBQ Sat nite and sourdough pancakes Sunday morning. The Arabac Cafe, Sweet Peas, and the La Gitana all serve food so no one will starve.

I'll clean up the shop area for Tech work and keep the backhoe on standby for emergency burials, but I think this is best handled as a get together without structure.

I'm going to hire someone to help with the food and cleanup so I may pass the hat if we get a big turn out.

I'll turn the house into a bunkhouse and the new place will provide shelter for more folks. I hope to have elec. water and sewer in before the meet. If you require bedding I have some of that too.

Invite your friends whatever the ride or drive and let have some fun.

- Andy