BMW topcase and Jesse rack?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by FredRydr, Feb 4, 2013.

1. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Will the Jesse rack for Odyssey panniers preclude use of the F800GS Vario top case?

Fred
  2. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
    i have jesse boxes on my 650 twin and a givi top box. i had to use some shims to move the rack out approx 1/2" so the jesse boxes would open without hitting the top box. i am sure you will have to do the same thing when using the BMW top case.

you can see in this pic the unpainted shims on the left that move the jesse rack out enough to allow the boxes to open.

[​IMG]
  3. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but will the Jesse rack preclude re-installation of the mounting plate for the Vario top case?

Fred
  4. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will have to either cut the rear post on the Vario plate down or shim the front post up and buy 4 longer bolts. I chose to cut the rear post and use the supplied bolts. GH
  5. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    Is that the steel part or the plastic part that you cut? I can buy the steel part from a fellow inmate.

Fred
  6. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The plastic Vario base plate has a steel core. You have to cut down the rear post by the height of the Jesse crossover piece. I'll put up a picture later. GH
  7. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    Thanks, GH. That should help.

Fred
  8. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    GH,

I pulled the steel plate under the topcase bracket. Which posts did you cut down, and by how much?

Fred
  9. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rear post. Think about it... You have to remove the material that the Jesse cross piece now occupies. I am not able to check right now but I remember cutting the post almost down to the plate. If you cut too much or too little it's no big deal as long as you can start the bolts. GH
  10. RheinGold

RheinGold Weniger aber besser.

Oddometer:
    I have the Jesse bags and the Vario top case (on the OEM rack). You are correct they don't work together...adding the Jesse case racks places the BMW top case rack at an angle so you can't get all four bolts in.

However, Al Jesse has a simple solution...he sent me two spacers and longer bolts and it goes together perfectly, although the Vario case/rack does end up about 3/4" higher than it would otherwise be. But, it really makes no difference...works great.