Canyonlands Adventure Ride. May 2013

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by COXR650L, Dec 1, 2012.

1. GJ650Rider

GJ650Rider Slick Rock

Oddometer:
    As long as I dont run out of time I really want to try the Wolfman soft pannier setup. I truely think that is the best option to get the weight down low and off the tail rack. We'll see though. I have so much to do on the Husky I may have to try and take my dads XRR:wink: I hope it still starts:huh <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Ben,

Of course my bike starts.

I had to test drive it a few times (as you know) after working on it Saturday.

The question is . . . will I let you take it! OK . . . as long as you promise not to go over the speed limit, don't pick up any hitchhikers (unless they have good looking legs of course) and that you wash, wax and fill the gas tank back up when you're finished with it.
  2. mtech1950

mtech1950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yikes, all i'm gonna do is fill up the tank
  3. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3 I meant if MY bike starts. Dirt roads don't have speed limits!
  4. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    :clap

I always carry my siphon hose! :lol3 So Ben what exactly is your Husky year and model? My 650 is not looking so bulky and low to the ground now after looking at yours! Thanks for the encouragement. So that bike has been up Elephant Hill and Bobby's ?
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Geo, I was going to load it on your bike, plenty of room :lol3

Actually I won't be carring much so I got some wolfman E12s, 2 MSR bottles (just in case we have to backtrack for any reason) and a small duffel that straps to the top of the saddlebags. Also a small enduro tankbag for cameras & stuff.

dmac, it's an '07, I figured I'd cover it with stickers so it won't get scratched up as much. I took it out for the first ride today, it runs nice, I'll get used to this bike pretty easy, the wr 6sp will eat up some miles too.
  6. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha sure thing, Its an 03' 610e. I was not joking when I said it is probably a 400+lbs bike when loaded. Ya its done this route before with no problems, just throw a skid plate on it and hang on:deal

Chris...
    I bet the 525 will be a blast on this ride. Although I still love the XRRs, nice bike Atomic:clap
  7. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of a pair of these lights to put some ram mounts so that I can run my front number plate. Might run one spot and one flood. Does anyone have experience with the DDM LED lights?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Jeff, I've been looking at LEDs and that a pretty good price for a POD. I saw 3W and thought it might not be enough but saw it has 6 instead of the usual 4. I wonder if the LED can be replaced with 5W units, they are pretty cheap individually. Were you going to do a spot/flood combo. I browsed their site and they have some other off-road LEDs that look pretty nice also, 2000 Lumens :clap
  9. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    How far out will those project? Are they more of a flood type pattern to be used in conjunction with a light that really projects?

They look like a great way to add some much needed lighting to the husky. It is downright dangerous as is:lol3
  10. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was thinking of putting on one flood and one spot pattern light. When I am not using the auxiliary front tank on my 450, I would have my 55 W HID light. I could supplement that with a flood light mounted on a ram mount on my bars. I doubt that you would just be able to swap out LEDs. The thermal demands for high powered LEDs require that they be integrated into a circuit board with heavy copper planes and that the board be properly heat sinked to the outer housing.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I have a soldering iron :lol3

Seriously though, the hipower LEDs I've seen are soldered to a heat sink which was as you described, a piece of copper, the fiber circuit board was adjacent but not soldered directly, some used a pressure contact, some were a connector to a small modular regulator. The bulb's housing was (-) and soldered to the heatsink, the (+) was another type connection. I looked into making one a while back, it's pretty easy but you don't get the heatsink/waterproof housing and the reflectors are iffy. One like that is the way to go. If you get them I'd be interested to see what they look like inside. I've seen some pretty impressive lighting come from LEDs.

I'm thinking of making one beam of my X2 a HID, TT sells the small ballasts and reflector/bulb assys. I rarely use the lights but the few times I've gotten caught, I sure wish I had more light.
  12. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    You sound like the Red Green of the electronics world. I've done a lot of thermal design for microelectronics. If the LED crystal is directly soldered to a heatsink, then I imagine you will be SOL.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    More like blue cheese, 20yrs chasing trons in the Navy. These lights are simple compared to some of the stuff they'd drop on my bench.

They're a small modules about 4mm x 4mm that has solder flats located on the back. The solder areas are pretty large compaired to circuit boad work for heat transfer. Depending on the design, it can even be a drop in module with no soldering required. The heat sink is drilled and the solder attachment is done by flowing solder through those holes. The Lens, decent housing and a securely mounted driver are the biggest obsticles to a good LED light, emitters are the easy part. Some suppliers offer bin matched LEDs like what BD advertises on their lights. I'm never satisfied with something out of the box, I've got to pull it apart and try to break it :lol3
  14. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    Red tape keeps the electrons in and black tape keeps them out--right:huh
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Smoke means they leaked out perminately :lol3
  16. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    Yea I did that one time with a metal watch band--they sure come out quick and a lot of smoke:eek1
  17. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a side note how early in the season do Elk Mountain Rd, Wooden Shoe Rd open/become viable?

Is Easter too early?
  18. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Easter is generally too early.. Might be different this year. Monticello BLM will have your answers.
  19. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thx
  20. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Not sure what it is about parts of that entire dirt road from Dugout Ranch off of hwy 211 (Canyonlands Needles) all the way over to Elk Ridge down to Natural Bridges. It has some of the worst mud sections I've seen in that whole area when there's a little snow or rain. I think the deepest ruts caused by 4X4's I've ever seen have been on that stretch. Even after they've dried out, many of them are like concrete curbs for miles sometimes. I've driven in and around mountains a lot after a rain, but I think that area has the worst dirt and mud I've encountered. Even mid-May can suck at times depending on conditions. When dry and without those dried concrete ruts, it's a fast superhighway. I met Cross-country head-on on a stretch of that road a couple of years ago, and I bet we were closing on each other at about 90-100 mph.:lol3