"Ride to Ride Again"

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mikem9, Jan 3, 2013.

1. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the things that causes me a lot of pain and has changed my lifestyle happened at age 17 (I think).
    I bashed my toe on a rail road tie at 40 mph and it causes a lot of pain if I walk much now.
    I used to do a lot of hiking, not so much any more.
    In another crash, I tore my knee open badly, yet it causes no problems at all.

The spine is another thing that can cause problems that never get better, broke mine twice dirt riding.
    I would still dirt ride though, if I had a bike to do it on.

2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly. On my last offroad ride we were typically doing 80+ on two track and gravel. Trust me, nobody was slowing down. Then we came to a tricky little stream crossing and nearly vertical bluff on the other side. We had all done it ten years ago when we last rode that trail.

You have to cross a small bridge over a stream then make a hard turn and go nearly vertical up a bluff for maybe 20'. One guy tried and helmet surfed to the bottom. The rest of us bypassed it. I just don't enjoy crawling out from under a 300 pound dual sport and wrestling up out of a creek anymore.

Now if I had been on the MXC......
  3. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was 15 or 16 for me, cage centerpunched me and I almost lost my left foot. Walked funny for years, and still limp when I'm tired. Was riding as soon as my leg was out of the cast, and ever since. To me, the rewards outweigh the pain. Motorcycles have been in my blood since my dad took me up and down the block on a Vespa in the early 60s.

1911fan
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its the same for me, so I want to be ABLE to ride in the future.
    It will not take much more to end my ability to ride, or ride much, already the back is an issue.
    All the other broken bones (many) do not cause any riding problems, but riding can be hard on the spine.

I have ridden with casts on, I am not being off work without getting some riding in!

5. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Of course the bike is just as fast as it always was. The big thing that I noticed in the last few years is that my vision is not even close to as good as it used to be. That alone was enough to slow me down a lot. Actually I am in better physical shape now than I was 20 years ago. I lost 56 lbs since I retired in 02 and started eating right and exercising. I weigh the same thing I did the day I graduated from high school now. Just no reason to race anyone on trail rides now. By the time you are 63 you should have your ego under control.
  6. juniorsktm

juniorsktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. There have been some really good comments in this tread, but as Mike said, we are merely suggesting that we enjoy a little slower than "race pace" for longevity in the sport when out adventure or DS riding. Trust me, this group we ride with is comprised of many B-A GNCC, SETRA HS and Enduro riders and past champs.....i think we are just suggesting to leave the racing at the races. Nobody wins practice!

Great thread Mike! I am enjoying it!

as always, Ride to Ride again!
  7. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    C'mon guy's!
    You know as well as I do, when you get 2 or more bikes riding together..........................it's ALWAYS a race. :lol3

Chris