Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by fletman, Oct 17, 2012.

1. fletman

fletman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy,
    Please don't flame me, I've had a search and not found a definitive solution or even a practical idea. So I thought I might start a thread to bring together some of the practical solutions you have all used over the years. Specifically away from suitably qualified help.

I got a flat rear the other day, so rather than take it to the shop, I thought I'd experiment with just the stuff I carry on the bike. Everything worked except breaking the bead. I've done it with a few heavy weights helping out, but just my weight was not sufficient. Tried using the side stand of the bike (F8) and compressing the sidewall with no success. What have others done out in the wild, and what easy to carry devices have you used and proved to work?

Other than that any useful tips for off civilization running repairs would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Hayate

Hayate ADV Monkey

Oddometer:
    How committed did you get with the side stand? I use that trick exclusively to break the bead on my rear and it always seems to pop out quite easily. Then one time I had a real stubborn bead I just kept on going further and further over until I realized the whole center stand was off the ground. I got it balanced right there with almost all the bikes weight on just the side stand (balanced slightly on the front wheel) and started putting some of my weight on top of that actually. POP goes the weasel!

A couple other notes:
    I put a 2x4 under the rim on that side and a foot on the other end (after wedging the tire under the side stand). This seems to do the trick to hold the wheel/tire in place and give some room to press down with the sidestand before all the rubber is mashed into the ground without that beautiful sound you're waiting on.

Oh and you said "in the wild" so obviously a branch can be substituted for the high tech 2x4 garage tool... or dig/find a hole for that extra bit of downward travel.
  3. fletman

fletman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers for that!

I tried initially on a soft surface "for authenticity" and eventually moved to a hard surface. Yeah I was determined. But to no avail, wide foot on side stand and still wouldn't break. Will try again at a later date in the absence of any ADV tried and tested light weight tool that fulfills 7 other uses.
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rather than carrying a dedicated bead breaker, I carry this:
    Motion Pro Assorted Tire Iron Set

[​IMG]

A motion pro 16" tire iron. In order to get the curve of the iron closer to the bead I cut about 1/2" off the end and re contoured it.

The trick is to push down on the tire with the big iron and work a smaller iron on each side and pull up. A little lubricant really helps. Work around the tire. By the time I have gone about 1/3 the way, the bead is broken.

The added leverage of the longer iron makes it much easier and the curve aids getting the tire off the rim completely.

I carry all three irons, but 2 will do.
  5. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    No tips for breaking beads, but I did once save a trip after the end of a clutch cable snapped off. I clamped a small pair of vise-grips to the remaining end of the cable, then duct taped the vise grip to the clutch lever. Worked great for 450 miles back home.

I never ride without a bit of duct tape on hand!
  6. Avner

Avner Not noob anymore

Oddometer:
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.

That's a lot of weight right there, and very bulky too!

I would give the new MP Beadpro a shot, very light, short, packs flat and supposed to work great.

[​IMG]
  8. greenthumb

greenthumb b00b

Oddometer:
    This has worked for me as well. This thread has pics of the procedure. Don't expect instant miracles, just keep working at it. :freaky

Those look slick. Anyone have experience with them and care to comment?
  9. fletman

fletman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've looked at a multitude of devices on the web, hoping for some riders who have used them in the real real world and can attest to ability and practicality. Blokes and gadgets, I am sure we all have garages full of "implements" that looked great on paper but now just collect dust and rust. I looked at the MP BeadPro and thought it looked potentially feasible, has anyone used them?
    Itsatdm's idea was what I was leaning more toward, I carry a couple of leavers, the easy peasy bead breaking link adds credence to it.
    Avner, I too looked at those, but in the photo it looks like plastic, just wondering how much of my ham fisted attempts it would survive.
    Thanks guys, hopefully more tips and tricks on anything will add to the collective wealth.
  10. Avner

Avner Not noob anymore

Oddometer:
    It is made of plastic and it is light. On the trail I used a piece of firewood to hammer it, and at home a regular hammer. It took 1-2 hits on each spot to drop the lip. Please take into account the fact that in both cases I was dealing with TKC80 tires that are very soft and easy to work with.
  11. fletman

fletman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's the next issue, I need to replace the rear and I can't source the K60's with any ease. I am looking at the TKC's but where I live the conditions are brutal on tires and I worry the TKC's won't last at all. I've seen a road car chew through a set in under 10 000 miles under average use, my 4 by 4 tires get maybe 25 000 miles.
    It takes me a while to get to some decent dirt, so a 50/50 would still be my best option.
    Cheers.
  12. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    I used a big C clamp on the inside of the rim (as opposed to over the rubber) to break the bead before removing the wheel. Just experimenting like you were but I doubt it's in most traveller's tool kits. A piece of wood or some type of spacer on the fixed end of the clamp prevents rim contact.
  14. mapuda

mapuda Crash Tested Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap This works great. In my garage I use it with a mallet. In the field a disc lock or suitable rock works well also.
  15. fletman

fletman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok,
    I pushed the button on the Motion Pro Bead Popper, see how it goes. If it doesn't work, at least it won't rust.

As for tips, here is one I use (because I have kids) but equally useful at the side of the road with an inevitable audience who always feel the need to grab at brakes.[​IMG]