Is this a dangerous situation??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by yeoman, Apr 7, 2013.

1. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    They brought one out when I tipped my XR650L over, as I explained earlier in this thread. I was surprised at how quick they came out with it, too.
  2. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the new GS come with a Halon system for when the final drive fails?????? :D

[​IMG]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  3. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, I didn't realize I fuel up while on the bike because I want to look cool. and here I thought I had come to accept the cruel fate of being hung like a gnat
  4. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

Hmmm.

She looks like she ought to be able to handle more than a "pocket sized tool".

Funny how looks can be deceiving, isn't it. :smile6
  5. xcountry41

xcountry41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep Thats a smooth stop, understand the risk of what you're doing and excersise appropriate caution feels good to be able to pull the pit stop and not dick around with helmets and overheating and gloves off etc.
    I avoid big cities and vagrants by avoiding them.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    They are usually mounted to the posts with the window washer jobbies. Most gas stations have both fire extinguishers and emergency cut-outs there if you look for them.

Those Germans are a clever bunch lol
  7. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. seriously that was sarcasm on my part.
  8. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    why do you want to hold the bike straight up? you think it fits more fuel? no, most bikes can fit more on sidestand

filler neck creates air bubble in tank for expansion, when on side stand, that air bubble is smaller than straight up most often
  9. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:

What a crock of shit Randyo.

Most bikes can fit more fuel while doing a wheelie. :nod

Thought everyone knew that?
  10. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    ALLES DUMMHEIT!! :rofl
  11. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    :wink:
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Actually, on both my R1200GS and ST, I could get exactly the same amount of gas on the sidestand as the centerstand.

Jim :brow
  13. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    I am a little dumbfounded by RandyO's statement. If it is true, , I guess all of the bikes I have owned were defective. Not one single bike I have owned could fit more gas in it while on the sidestand. Do this for me. Put a glass on the table and pour water to the top. Take another glass that is the same exact size and shape and hold that glass at a 45 degree angle. Now pour the water from the full glass into the glass that is held at an angle. Let me know how that works out for you. :ear
  14. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:

Now try the same thing with gasoline. Ha. Now you understand!!
  15. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    What sort of motorcycles have water glasses for fuel tanks? :huh

A bike like the XR650L and most other dirt-oriented motorcycles have the fuel filler at the top of a tank that is not flat on top. Unless you're filling the last four ounces at the very top, it holds the same whether on the side-stand or upright.

Some motorcycles - Ducatis from the 90's for example - require a bit of air at the top or they will puke some of the gas back out. The amount you fill to get up to their "full" mark is the same whether leaning or upright. However, at least the Ducati ST2 didn't want to be pointed uphill after filling it full. I remember topping off before heading into Yosemite a few years ago and waiting for the other riders I was with while pointing uphill. It started leaking fuel until I I leveled it out front to back.

So could you name a few bikes you're thinking of that hold a significantly different amount of fuel when upright than on the sidestand?

None of the 21 I've owned so far were likely to make much difference at all.
  16. Toe

Toe Grab your gear

Oddometer:
    I used to fill up while still sat on the bike with it upright thinking I could get more into the tank.
    Once I realised the difference was so minimal and myself and the bike weren't hugely stable moving around grabbing the pump, etc I started filling up with it on the sidestand.
    Then I saw one of those daytime ER programs and possibly the biggest Jeremy Kyle reject I've ever seen came into the ER with his entire crotch and upper thighs red raw from a petrol fire. The petrol had spilt over while he was sat on the bike while filling and somehow caught fire. This was enough for me to get off the bike to fill up even with the ridiculously low odds of this ever happening.
  17. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:

maybe your redneck gas tank is an open pail

real gas tanks have filler necks that extend into the tank. once you fill the tank to the neck, you can't get any more in cause the air above the filler neck can't escape, you can wiggle the tank between your legs and get a little more in, why, cause tip the bike, one side of the filler neck is higher than the other, you can get more fuel in

wait a minute? why ain't ya putting in on the side stand to begin with, the filler neck is not level, you can fit more fuel in
  18. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I know mine too.\

I'm also pretty familiar with halon...
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    So there's at least one confirmed crotch fire. That's enough for me! :eek1
  20. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I still love that picture, I was disappointed that when the drive on my 08 K1200GT fauied it was in the parking lot of San Jose BMW , it just wet itself with joy at being at a competent shop