Crash Bars On Your F650 / F800

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by markymcd, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    not my bike..... haha

BUT yes its a 2013. bmw engine bars with touratech uppers soon to be released.... couple different sizes of panniers avalible...

but I love pelican cases and soft bags... I will NEVER have alu panniers ever again....

screen is the TT tinted longer version.... this is my bike in one of its varients:

[​IMG]
  2. TFB43

TFB43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOOKS SICK!! AWESOME!:thumb
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    even sweeter! prefer that one :lol3
  4. EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG Lost on purpose.

Oddometer:
    Touratech's mains and uppers on my Trophy. Haven't had to test them out yet. I'm sure the additional radiator protection will come in handy, one day.
    [​IMG]
  5. Leap of Faith

Leap of Faith My hand to the devil

Oddometer:
    Had my first spill this morning coming off a graveyard shift and decided to take a trail before hitting the hay. Dropped my Trophy with SW Motech's. They protected exactly at radiator level. They did there job and it seems to me any protection that didn't cover rad wouldn't be justified. A thought.
  6. pkbinder

pkbinder Kissing Moose

Oddometer:
    I can't read all 32 pages, but here is my question. Does anyone make a crash bar that DOES NOT bolt into the lower bosses just above the oil pan? My engine case was damaged because of the stress on that boss from a crash. pk
  7. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    If i'm not wrong you're looking for the TT ones.
  8. Nopork

Nopork Dickhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you want the Touratech ones. The bolt to the frame, not the motor, but are kind of a pain to install as you have to remove the rear brake pedal and install some spacers, and other parts, but offer great protection.

9. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    After some time looking for it on internet and here in this thread I realized I need your help guys: where can I buy those adventure spec crash bars other than in UK? Thing is to import them from USA is easier than to do it from UK (tax and shipment issues).

So, is there anyone in USA selling them?

Thanks a lot.

Arjones.
  10. ManWow

ManWow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been able to find any one in the states that sells them. Shipping is only $45 US to MN for them.

Questions:
    How tall are the riders who are hitting their knees? I'm 6'2" 218 and really like those bars for their coverage. Anyway someone could take a pic showing how close they are?

However, those TT ones shown on that 2013 have caught my eye as well. Has anyone heard word on them? Cost? Etc?

I'm new here but this is why I'm looking for crash bars. I was messing around in a dirt lot getting used to the bike/weight/behavior in diet when I popped the throttle a bit hard and the front tire wedged...

[​IMG]

Hand guards worked!

[​IMG]
  11. ManWow

ManWow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    answered my own question... those uppers that wrap around are only for the 2013 models... :kboom

and just that piece (need lower portion as well to mount them) is almost expensive and adv spec.
  12. molodoit

molodoit n00b

Oddometer:
    Someone has try to put this crash bar (upper part) on a F800gs year 2009 ?
    What doesn’t fit ?
    Maybe a small modification can be done do adapt this crash bar on an older F800gs?

Thank you:freaky
    Adrien
  13. Spektrum84

Spektrum84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I fail to see any mechanical advantage to having the cross support pass forward of the forks and under the beak like that. Is it going to reduce the permanent deflection of the guards if the bike is dropped on its side?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
  14. MKorn

MKorn 2whl Addict

Oddometer:

Well, i know for an unfortunate fact that if the bike lowsides ... the radiator will take a hit and break off its little mounting tabs without the upper part and i dont see how the upper bars could support the impact without going through to the other side under the beak.
  15. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    If those bars actually bolt to the underside of the beak I wouldn't touch them with a twenty foot pole. In a big drop the bars are going to move. Mine have bent to the left and then back to the right. So now they look pretty straight! If they need to move that fragile front end is going to break and cost you a lot of money. I'm using the AdventureSpec bars and my rad is unmolested and I have had many drops/crashes.

16. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    Try to look closely and you will realize the bars connect to themselves, not to the beak. So, in the case of a drop, the beak will not be impacted (not by the bars anyways).
  17. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Couldn't see that in the pic. Still looks a little flimsier than the Wild at Heart or AdvSpec. Don't like the single mout point for the uppers and then a clamp on a tube. They look very nice though.

18. yann L

yann L Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you ask me, a couple times the SW Motech have proven their ability to save the precious radiator.:muutt They goes high enough to do the job. I don't see the REAL reason to put that much protection, that high, execpt for the flashy style. Seriously what else, a rolling cage all around and over the bike!:norton
    Not to say their useless, they do offer good protection against scratches while going through branches and shrubs.
  19. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Today I installed Hepco & Becker crash bar/engine guard on my girlfriends 2011 F 800 GS.
    The install was straight forward and everything lined up fine, but the spacers for the top mounting (the engine bolts) didn't seem to be exactly the right length - the one for the left side seemed to be a bit short and the one for the rights side a bit long.

Picture of the left side:
    [​IMG]

Picture of the right side:
    [​IMG]

Can other people with H&B engine guard on their F 800 GS confirm that this is normal - or is there something wrong?
  20. Conman

Conman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don T, my HBs on mine is the same way.

They do work well......
    [​IMG]