KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. PCK_4xCustoms

PCK_4xCustoms lost

Oddometer:
    Ok so I just got a set of Moose racing hand guards to put on a '12 and they dont work with the stock bars due to the crossbar and the little doohickey that holds the cables/wires in place on the bar. What did you all do to counter this? Or is there a better guard set I could get that would clear all the stock doo-mobobbles.
  2. rustbucket

rustbucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I've been using my KLR 2-up a bit lately with my lady friend. She's 5'1", and I'm 6'3". The good news is I barely notice her back there. The bad news is that she can't see a darn thing, and she has a hard time holding on - she can't reach her arms all the way around me (short arms), and the grab handles are actually too far back for her.

I have a Corbin flat seat, and the stock seat. I was thinking of trying to get a dual platform seat, but am concerned it will be uncomfortable for my lanky ass. I'd also like to give her better grab handles.

Has anyone tackled this problem? Any suggestions (aside from having her sit on a phone book)?
  3. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I still have a couple of sets of Polisport guards that I picked up earlier in the year because they were on super sale. They fit like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a set in red and one in orange. PM if interested.
  4. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Canuman

Oddometer:
    You can cook up some grab handles out of webbing that will help, and you can make a seat extender out of minicell foam available here: http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2076. Stick the foam to your seat with heavy-duty 2" self-adhesive velcro. There's also a belt you can wear with grab handles on the sides available -- I forget what it's called. You are facing the same issue that those of us who ride with kids have.
  6. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    http://www.thirdgear.com.au/products/Motorcycle-Pillion-Grab-Handles.html
  8. Eastbayview

Eastbayview Ride On

Oddometer:
    I used Barkbuster guards with stock bars. Only had to remove one of the plastic wire clips and all was good.
  9. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    I used Acerbis Pro-Rallys. No problem here either. A couple of tie-wraps takes place of those clips....
  10. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone happen to catch that shocking FM sale ad for a KLR priced at $5000 within the last few days? It was grossly overpriced (Gen 1, IIRC, with ~15,000 miles). I replied with a :lurk because I wanted to see where the thread would lead. Now it seems to have disappeared. :dunno
  11. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    An update for you guys... I've been capable of walking on my foot around my house today without the boot on, perfectly normal, aside from going down steps. The wound still hurts like mad though, at least I can walk normal though. Just in time for the weekend.
  12. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    Here you go and thanks!
    [​IMG]
  13. Flaco

Flaco Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2008 with skid plate, crash bars, dirt bagz, tank bag, moose pegs, highway pegs. I think that's about it.

I'm going on my first multi day trip in Sept. Riding to a conf in Great Falls from Colorado. In prepping my bike, I'm making a list of potential mods/additions. I can't really afford all of them and I don't intend to keep this bike long term. It's not big enough for both my wife and I so eventually I'm going to trade up for a DL1000 or RT or something.

Anyway, some of these items are obvious (I am going to get new tires for sure) and some are not so obvious, is it worthwhile to buy a touring windshield?

Rank this list...

Tires
    Shortened sidestand so the bike will park easier
    Heated vest
    touring windscreen
    Heated grips
    refoamed seat

Anything else? Thanks!
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    That'll buff right out.
  15. whitebreadadv

whitebreadadv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that one and laughed but left town and didn't check back in for a few days. By then it had disappeared. Perhaps he came down / sobered up :D
  16. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but I posted in the thread and my post is no longer in my history. Thought it took something pretty significant to have a thread nuked without a trace. :scratch

Oddly, I posted in another part-out thread for a Gen II inquiring about the motor. Also gone. Maybe I am the thread-killer.:evil
  17. DesertDuster

DesertDuster Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer:
    I have read several posts about people grinding off the little hoop. One person used a Dremel with a grinder stone.

http://aviciouscycle.ca/images/pdf/Kawasaki20KLR65020FittingInformation(1).pdf

http://klr650blog.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/barkbusters-hand-guards-and-risers/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560143
  18. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
    My front hub had broken off the wings that spin the speedometeter cable. Do I need a new hub, or is there some other way to fix this?
  19. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Well, if you're describing the "ears" on the hub itself that are broken, not the mating part inside the speedo gear housing, then you have several options:
    1. Do without the stock speedo. You can use GPS for speed when necessary. Keep the housing in place for wheel spacing and bearing protection.
    2. Migrate to a digital gage display- TrailTech Vapor, for example.
    3. Replace the hub.
  20. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. yeah .. what DD said ..

.. if it's the piece/spacer with the "ears" on it that goes onto/into the wheel then keep an eye on eBay .. you can pick up a replacement there ..