Steering Damper

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Alexandre, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Alexandre

Alexandre Alex

Oddometer:
    Looking for a Damper for my 2011 GSA ??
    Any ideas
  2. OldPete

OldPete Be aware

Oddometer:
    wrong forum, try searching/asking in beasts.

Scotts and GPR are on offer. IIRC, GPR has a lower profile.
    Google comparisons. :D
  3. RupeCA

RupeCA Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Search the Forum for Rally Moto. There have been a few posts in the past year. It is what I put on my 09 GS and love it.
  4. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Rally Moto unit is some great-looking kit. How is it at parking lot speeds?
  5. RupeCA

RupeCA Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No problem at all, don't even know it is there. The key is the adjustability, when you don't need it, turn the dial down to 1.
    Turn up the dial for more stability when you want it. Big difference on the freeway at speed in the wind or passing big trucks.......no wobbly feeling.
    I also dial it up when in the dirt and sand. The steering damper along with a 21" front (I change rims for more serious dirt rides) make me a better rider than I really am.
  6. Quirky

Quirky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's fine for the slow speeds. But have heard from an inmate who has trouble with it in a cold climate. I love mine and haven' t any issues even on frosty mornings.
  7. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I got a HyperPro from EPM for my '11 GSA, The wind turbulence behind the cement truck at speed and cross winds etc will dissappear. The wanna be tank slapper loose wobbly feel in the bars is gone and makes it very easy to ride.
  8. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
    +1
  9. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have a USA made Scott's on my 07GSA. Works at least as well on the street as it does off avement.
  10. aschnell

aschnell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What mount do you have for the Scotts damper?
  11. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Quirky

Quirky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1 That looks bloody huge compared to the RM2?

[​IMG]
  13. Tiz

Tiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +100

Was just out yesterday in high winds and mixed roads. Actually first time on gravel roads and it felt like new asphalt. Plus no diddling around with my handlebar risers and tankbag set up to fit it.

--Kevin
  14. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do y'all order directly from HyperPro or is there a retailer that sells 'em?

Thanks,

TC
  15. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I too used a Scotts with the Gorillazilla mount. HOWEVER after e-mailing them and making sure they had one for my 2007GSA, they sent me the wrong mount. After trading e-mails and pictures they finally gave up and offered my money back. Instead I chose to weld up the holes and re-machine an drill new holes to make it work. I also had to make a new lower clamp. The main thing was that I already had a Scotts dampener. I think the RM2 discussed here is a very clean looking mount and dampener if you already don't have a dampener it would be the way to go.
  16. Tiz

Tiz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Undermoose

Undermoose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also ordered from epmperf.com.

I've been using the Hyperpro since June this year on my 2012 GS.

I had a Scotts on my Triumph Street Triple which I sold along with the bike. Had I found the Gorzilla mount maybe I'd have kept it, but I like the uncluttered install of the Hyperpro. I also found I never adjusted the Scotts much, it was set and forget, so location wasn't much of a factor going with the Hyperpro mounted out of reach on my GS. If I was doing a lot of off road riding maybe I'd think twice about the location.

The Hyperpro got rid of the squirley front end. Love it. :freaky

If I was to choose between the RM style mount and the Scotts with that Gorzilla mount, it would be the Scotts all the way. The RM and GPR mount under bar risers, and from what I've read, interact with the stearing stem :eek1:huh:eek1, however I'd get Scotts Performance feedback on that mount first. There's got to be a reason Scotts isn't making a mount kit themselves for the R1200GS, I'd want their blessing. Just my 2 cents on the topic...
  18. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spoke to Scotts about a mount for the GS before I ordered the GoriilaZilla mount. They claimed that their mount was still "in development". They were aware of the GorillaZilla mount and had no issue with it. They even helped me select the correct arm for the Scotts damper to work with the GorillaZilla mount kit (before I realized the GorillaZilla mount came with its own arm for the damper).
  19. Undermoose

Undermoose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now I regret letting my Scott's Damper go with my Triumph just because the thing is expensive and it's a fantastic damper.

Having used both, I'm happy with both, can't go wrong with Scott's or the Hyperpro. I'd be wary of the type that interact with the stearing stem though, but I'm sure if properly mounted they are good too and have some advantages such as a very clean looking top mount install.
  20. brainfreeze

brainfreeze Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 +1 +!1 I have the hyperpro. Love it. Easy to install.

I wrote this on another forum months ago...

I have a 2012 1200gsa. Two of the most important additions I put on the bike are the Hyperpro Steering damper and an Aeroflow touring windshield with Saeng edging across the top. Here is my review on the Hyper pro steering damper.

I started using steering dampers years ago. This is for safety and they make the bike much more stable. They improve riding comfort and control. I got my 1200GSA and was pretty pleased with the stability except for on the highway in traffic. On the highway, especially behind trucks, turbulence was moving the bars back and forth. I ride relaxed btw.

Ordered the hydro pro from EPM Performance. Call them and they will help you get the right setup. 877-786-6543. Cost $503 delivered.

You will receive a damper and a bracket kit for your bike. The first bracket kit I got, the heim joint ball was frozen. EPM sent me another one, no problem.
    The install is very easy. Took about 30 minutes.

The damper basically does nothing until you need it. It has 22 click settings for soft damping to harder damping. 1 being the lowest. I set mine on about 8 clicks. Have not changed it since.

Result- The bike is not bothered or effected by truck turbulence. It feels the same as it does by yourself on a country road. It just feels more controlled and stable overall. You feel the beating on your shoulders, but the bike could care less. Gravel road riding is much more controlled now. You also get the safety from not getting tank slappers.

This addition took a great bike and made it much better. I would definitely buy it again.