2013 AMA Pro Roadracing No-Spoiler Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Dec 5, 2012.

1. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is there a bike only track in the US?! What exactly would be different on a bike only road race track?! The tracks are not the problem, it's the yoyos running the show! :deal
  2. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the bike-only tracks tangent is a red herring. Like saying the problem with the Titanic was that it was too wide to miss the iceberg. Like the Titanic, the problem with AMA Pro Racing is with the folks running it from the bridge.

- Mark
  3. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hummmm, herring, bait fish, trolling............. :norton

4. jktpa

jktpa X-Troller

Oddometer:
    Heck they race motocross in football stadiums! just saying.
  5. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    yes good point and it's working out quite well. why is that?
  6. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Um, I believe I am presenting examples of "car" tracks that host a successful motorcycle series. The tracks themselves (the pavement and configuration) aint the problem.
  8. jktpa

jktpa X-Troller

Oddometer:
    I forget if was Nixon or Mann when the first Supercross race was in Daytona said that road racing in the U.S. would end up a underclass series. They were right!
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's the fact that so many of the people in the US who own sportbikes are complete douche bags that road racing in the US sucks.
  10. Rd650

Rd650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Swimmer you may be correct. Every young guy I talk to with a sportbike, doesnt know follow any of the racing.

DMG is a disgrace to the sport!!
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    ..and sportbikes have a negative stereotype in the US so my feeling is that most big time companies wouldn't want to be associated with sponsoring such deviant behavior in spite of the fact that most people involved in motorcycling have some spare income to through around. And the douche bags are the source of the stereotype. Maybe because I am older now than I was 10 years ago (really?) but I don't remember the douching being so intrusive back then and whether the decrease in US road racing is a directly inversely proportional to increased douching I am not sure but, it can't help. JMO.
  12. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    interesting viewpoint. the sportbike's which never should have been street legal to start with end up being the downfall of road racing. I like it and there is probably some truth to it.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The motorcycles are not the problem. And you might be pussy.
  14. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  15. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    The sportbike fad has peaked and has faded. There was road racing before it came along and there will be road racing after.

DMG has some work to do to return to grids that looked like this.

[​IMG]
  16. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe DMG should buy forty or fifty thousand new sportbikes for the next several years because thats the only way we'll see grids like that again.
  17. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's surely a promotion problem, and there's surely been an economic problem: but the main problem is unfortunately probably more serious. In the overall scheme of things, motorcycling is a pretty small niche sport- and roadracing is a small niche within that.

I'm starting to feel that roadracing is just not engaging enough for many fans (for lack of a better word) these day- the mid age-range folks are losing interest and the young ones aren't getting any. As brutal and difficult as the racing is, without an appreciation of what the riders are actually doing it looks unexciting compared to, say, supercross. And that's in person. It's even worse from a TV perspective-- as roadracing doesn't work well with the "switch the camera/image every 2-4 seconds" viewing that today's seemingly ADD-afflicted young fans need.

I've been watching/enjoying this stuff since the late 60's. Been peaks and valleys for sure- but it "feels" more serious now.
  18. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really?! So this new McDonald's ad with a bunch of stunt riders doing wheelies and burn outs doesn't seem to completely negate your theory? If a giant corp like McDonalds obviously wants to be associated with these "negative sport bike stereotypes", there must be a reason?! :huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D0L6ssxiqk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_D0L6ssxiqk
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  20. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's the largest hamburger chain in the country because only kids eat there?! :rofl