Rockies regional randomness

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Geek, Sep 30, 2009.

1. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Well now, this would be interesting! :huh

Head Transplants Now Feasible, Thanks to Medical Technology Breakthroughs

Human head transplants may be around the corner, according to Quartz. In an interview, Dr. Sergio Canavero, a neuroscientist at the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group, reports that the technologies needed for head implants are now available. Head implants have been carried out on animals for the past 40 years (see video below).
    One of the most significant challenges for head implants is the spinal cord. While researchers have been able to successfully connect arteries, blood vessels, muscles, ligaments and other neck structures after a head transplant, the spinal cord has proven a significant challenge. However, new advances in reconnecting severed spinal cords could make head transplants feasible.
    “The greatest technical hurdle to [a head transplant] is of course the reconnection of the donor’s (D)’s and recipients (R)’s spinal cords. It is my contention that the technology only now exists for such linkage…. everal up to now hopeless medical connections might benefit from such a procedure,” states Canavero in his paper.
    In 1970, scientists were able to transplant the head of a rhesus monkey onto the body of a second monkey. For this procedure to work, both monkeys had to be in the same operating room. After severing the heads off both animals, the transplant head must be cooled to a temperature between 54.6°F and 59°F. The transplanted head must be reconnected to the circulatory system of a donor body in less than 60 minutes. In addition, the donor body must be cooled and placed in a state of cardiac arrest.
    Once the head is connected to a donor body, the donor body’s heart can be restarted. Once this is done, surgeons can reconnect other systems like the spinal cord. Reconnection of a spinal cord following a head transplant has never been undertaken. However, severing and reconnecting the spinal cord in one animal has been met with muted success. This past week, researchers at the Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University were able to successfully connect two severed halves of a rat’s spinal cord.
    In the past, the reconnection of a spinal cord requires more than a surgeon’s delicate touch. Instead, physicians and researchers must encourage the natural healing mechanisms in the body. However, Canavero offers a different method for reconnecting the spinal cord. By using a very sharp knife, the spinal cord can be mechanically connected between a head and a donor body.
    By ensuring a clean cut, proximally severed axons can be coaxed to fuse with another set of axons. “This fusion exploits so-called fusogens/sealants….[which] are able to immediately reconstitute (fuse/repair) cell membranes damaged by mechanical injury, independent of any known endogenous sealing mechanism,” he notes in his paper
    VIDEO:
    Russian scientists keep dog’s head alive separate from its body (black and white archival video from Soviet Union). Note: the authenticity of this video hasn't been independently verified. The researchers who created this film, however, did receive the Lenin Award for the research.
  2. petepuma

petepuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool...

All those folks who previously had to lower the suspension could jusrt go get a taller body:D so the bikes wouldnt have ro be made smaller......

sent via mental telepathy
  3. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
  4. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not know birds could fly that high :lol3 Nice shot of Loveland. :thumb

Marc
  5. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    Doing the corado 2 day ride plus an additional week of riding on my 2010 ktm 530 xcw. Have a brand new stock front tire on bike. Bridgestone motocross xc. Wanting to know if this tire will last a week of non hardcore riding or should I switch to something like a Dunlop 952 ??
  6. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    It worked out that I had the weekend off from Weds thru Sunday, and it looked at first like Jeanne couldn't get away - so I put on a new rear tire Tuesday afternoon, packed the bike and was on my way early Wednesday morning, about sunup.
    Before I left I found out Jeanne was free for the weekend, but she insisted I go.... so I did, not that her insisting either way would have changed my plans :lol3

I got up to the top of Berthoud Pass....beautiful weather, five days of excellent riding in front of me. I was feeling the road trip euphoria but didn't feel like doing it solo if she had the same five days off, so I turned around, went back to the house and grabbed Jeanne.
    She'd seen the weather forecast up there (rain), so instead of the bike we took the car - which is about as fun in the mountains as most bikes :evil

Headed out 40, up and over Rabbit Ears, lunch in the 'boat....and on to Vernal.
    Up thru Flaming Gorge, Rock Spgs, Pinedale, Jackson, Victor, Driggs, West Yellowstone, Bozeman.
    Pretty much the reverse of a weekend ride I did on the ST1300 two years ago -and it was pretty cool to see some of it going the other direction.

One of my favorite bike roads is from Victor north, on the west side of the Tetons. No Yellowstone crowds/RV's....just beautiful green rolling hills.

[​IMG]

We hit some pretty heavy rain from West Yellowstone up thru Bozeman, and from there off and on to Casper, WY.

Stopped in Bozeman on the 4th...

[​IMG]

Every time I've been over Beartooth, it's been south to north, so doing hwy 78 (Columbus/Absarokee/Red Lodge) in reverse ended up being more fun.
    Better views in this direction. Great bike road, and not too shabby in a fun car :nod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the Bear's Tooth barely visible off to the right...

[​IMG]

a little zoomage to help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sections of this road have been under construction every time I've been over

[​IMG]

Pilot Peak almost obscured by clouds - it rained hard thru here, and lightning was popping all around. Didn't mind being in the car so much :D

[​IMG]

I guess it's ok to have one car picture
    In sport mode it blew me away with how much fun four wheels can provide.

[​IMG]

a brief respite from the rain at the Dead Indian Pass overlook

[​IMG]

Coming down the hill towards Cody we were in and out of torrential downpours that the wipers couldn't keep up with, and could see one off in the distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

south of Thermopolis about to enter the Wind River Canyon

[​IMG]

Past that it was Casper for the night, and home today.

The bike gets it's chance again tomorrow
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    holy heck! the proverbial "wall of water"
    [​IMG]
  8. Krang

Krang Rides with hippies

Oddometer:
    WOW, where was that?

Hope it hit some of the areas that are burning.
  9. Blakebird

Oddometer:
  10. LoneRhino

LoneRhino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great photos BB!
  11. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    Wow! That's impressive. Kinda feels like that cloud has been following me. I've been getting rained on a lot! Still grateful for the precip!
  12. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    Man, I'm glad YOU got the rain and not me: just under 6k miles in 10 days (most of them on the eastern seaboard) and I only got a bit of rain... luckily, I missed the torrential stuff.
  13. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Yes, nice pics Blake. But that road would be fun in my Dodge diesel, no matter a BMW.
  14. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    The weather we hit was a consideration, but I was heading that way on the bike no matter what - if going solo.
    The main reason we didn't take the bike was that she hasn't been on the back of this one yet - not even a short ride.
    I need to get her up to Steamboat for lunch or something first to make sure she's comfortable on it.

The Stelvio was great, but this bike is an unknown to her, so doing a long loop like this in a short time....seemed like the known comfort of the car was the way to go.
    The weather ended up being pretty significant in several places - which I don't mind that much....but hate to drag my poor passenger thru it.
    She still hasn't forgotten crossing Death Valley (123F) on the Guzzi last August :lol3
  15. Dusty_Bottoms

Dusty_Bottoms Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is in green mountain falls for one more week. It's some kind of crazy cloud structure that you can walk up inside of. It's pretty cool.[​IMG][​IMG]
  16. Cowboy

Cowboy Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer:
    Joz came over to buy my trials bike this evening, and he got more than he bargained for: a chance to drive several antique cars. We buzzed around the place in my 53 MG, then the 55 Studebaker, and finally the 66 London Cab. True to form for a guy who once lived in England: he didn't even notice the steering wheel was in the wrong place! :lol3

[​IMG]

You should have seen him unfold himself to get out of the MG . . . and I thought it was a tight fit for me!

[​IMG]
  17. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    NICE TD. :clap

Marc
  18. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ted.. you'll enjoy last night's new TopGear - it had a bit on British Taxis (in the context of figuring out who has the best Taxi IN THE WORLD)
    :D

The British Taxi they used was a 1977 Fairway Driver.

:freaky
  19. Joz

Joz What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cowboy! You're right - I got much more than I bargained for. It was an awesome evening. Then I got home and played around on my 'new' Scorpa trials bike!!

ADV rocks!
  20. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had my Swiss Army knife over 100 MPH today at 8500 feet, rolling down a massive upheaval/mesa. 110 miles in 2 hours and 10 minutes. Watched some vintage trials, rode up the ski mountain at Sipapu and then ride back home with rain scattered all about.