Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Only RW66's Tiger missing from the pic, Garage WB would have had eight bikes. :huh

Tyler's water cooled GS is looking good.

2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice cover story Dennis. Penicillin doesn't cure vertigo.
  3. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    And they are off !!!

Tyler and Schizzman on their way to meet up with RW66 and Pilot815 at the Anzalduas bridge.

[​IMG]
  4. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Interesting article found on BootsnALL written by a traveling family about their time in Mexico

LINK
  5. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool report and good for them. :D

(All their positive comments reflect my view as well. Had a great time in 2011 and plan to be back down there soon as my Dr. Zook is outfitted.)
  6. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I thought this was an interesting line from the report:

"Too often the locals living in the tourist areas are jaded due to repeated exposure to haughty, frightened, rich vacationers who view their country as being dangerous and poor".
  7. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1A3b_MRimbk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More good info!
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I just posted the Harley bit on my FB page. I'm not worried that anyone of my Harley friends will kick my ass because they are not coming to Mexico
  9. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    TC are things cooling off out there yet? Saludos, Jim
  10. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like Mexico is not safe from something, judging by the lumps in this snake. Remind me tell you some time, the joke about the rabbit and the boa. Bet a KLR rider could make a tire out of that.
    From today's paper:
    APARECIÓ UN MOSTRO!

30 August, 2013 07:39:00
    [​IMG]
    Boca del Río.- Vecinos de la colonia Miguel Alemán, de la ciudad de Boca del Río, pidieron el auxilio de Protección Civil del municipio debido a que avistaron una serpiente de gran tamaño en los patios de algunas viviendas.

Al lugar se trasladaron efectivos de Bomberos Conurbados quienes buscaron entre la vegetación del lugar hasta dar con el animal comprobando que se trataba de un ejemplar de gran tamaño, atípico para la zona.

Tras varios minutos de maniobras, los elementos de la corporación lograron capturar a la víbora que fue asegurada y trasladada a la comandancia para entregarla a las autoridades ambientales.

Los primeros informes indican que es una Boa Constrictor que pudo llegar hasta el área urbana después de las inundaciones provocadas por la Tormenta Tropical Fernand.

Todavía se investiga si el ejemplar no escapó de alguna vivienda dado a que algunas personas gustan tenerlas como mascotas exóticas.

Es probable que la boa sea entregada a la Secretaría de Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (Semarnat) para que sea canalizada a una Unidad de Manejo Ambiental.
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    It's going to be 103 in College Station for the A&M/Rice game, ergo its not cooling off anywhere
  12. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike , now that you bring up the snake story I am curious
    if Mexico has any controls on owning or breeding such truly
    dangerous exotic species. I know they are trying to educate
    the public to stop putting wild birds in cages but still keep seeing
    the poor things suffering . This past march a small bike passed us with
    a full cage of small green parrots blown to one side against the mesh,
    I was shocked, sad and angry , " You rotten SOBs" I yelled in my helmet.
    These snakes may not be venomous but grown full size they can kill
    smaller animals and people. Just recently in Quebec an escaped
    pet shop boa strangled to death two small boys living in the apartment
    above. And the problem of discarded " pet" boas ( and many other animal
    species) let loose in Florida wreaking havoc on the native wildlife are a well
    known tragedy unfolding. One would think people would have learned from
    the earlier mistakes of introducing foreign wildlife in Australia and many other
    places .But I guess stupidity and vanity demand that people have such wildlife
    to show off and brag about how tough and cool they are and greedy suppliers
    will breed them or plunder natural sources to make millions from the insanity.
    Just like drug trade. And ignorant foreigners trying to buy Mexican parrots etc etcetc is the same story of stooopidity! Raccoons, mink, muskrats and skunks from the Americas are now in Europe!
    With Mexico's climate these kind of exotic animals would have a heyday, breed as fast as people and totally ruin the Mexican ecosystems.They are all wonderful animals, but they do not belong in something other than their original environment.
    Camping would not be safe !
    How sad .
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we rode through Rayones to lunch at La Casona in Galeana then on to Aramberri for the night. Leaving shortly for Real de Catorce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see you found that funky old place in Aramberri; hope its as nice as it looked when Miltone and I stopped in a few years ago. :clap
  15. motoroberto

motoroberto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was wondering if you grizzled gringos and seasoned Mexicanos would be able to offer some advice. In about 3 weeks I will be riding down to Oaxaca.

I will be getting my TVIP, tourist card and insurance online this week.

I will most likely be entering at Matamoros.

Was wondering if there are any preferred border crossings? Or preferred aduanas for when I'm leaving (to cancel the tvip)?
    Any preferred routes south or routes/towns to avoid?

Any hotels to recommend in Oaxaca or Puerto Escondido?

Looking forward to your advice.
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Well, at least TVIP & insurance
  17. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Bronx Cheer
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Still in the high 90's most days with humid days. But the clock is ticking down to Dia de Independencia on the 16th. Miraculously, the monsoon breaks, things dry out and cool off. August becomes a memory
  19. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    You can start by avoiding Matamoros. Not really on any route to anywhere. Consider Pharr or Anzalduas Bridge depending on your route south. Do you have a trip profile to share? That would help seeking advice. I'd avoid the coastal plains in favor of a highland route. Unless you just enjoy the crinkling sound of brain cells dying from boredom. Better vistas, better roads, better climate in the mountains. Fresnillo has been hot lately with Zeta activity. Not that it would affect a gringo riding through. Recently stayed there with no troubles. Go around Mexico City unless you really want to see it. Can be tough navigating on a bike.

A route through the Sierra Madre Oriental to Puebla and/or Veracruz then on to Oaxaca is my input for starting your route planning. PM me if you want more detailed input.
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Good to be back in Hotel El Real with my friend Tyler. Had him take lead on the cobblestone to Ogarrio tunnel just to watch him figure it out. I then led to the hotel. He was quite impressed with riding through town. We got the last two rooms. Had the Conejo Cazuela (sp?) in the restaurant. Enjoyed Spanish, food and drinks with a Mexican family on the roof. The now-anticipated "unexpected blessing" that Mexico faithfully delivers each and every trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]