Mid-Life, or Life Long Crisis Racing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by novaboy, May 6, 2012.

1. dirtysouthjacket

dirtysouthjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing my first race this weekend at the Steele Creek GNCC Race. I'm really not ready, but when is anyone? :wink:

I'm not nearly in the shape I thought I would be in, I haven't ridden the bike enough, and I have no idea what kind of race prep to do to the bike. :puke1

But since I'll be on the KDX200 and so far its been bulletproof and treeproof. So I think I should be ok. I'm really just shooting to finish the 2 hour race and not get hurt.

Anyone else doing some races this season?
  2. novaboy

novaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome good luck this weekend. We are still aways off from any racing up here. Lots of snow in the woods. I'm hoping to do a couple of enduros and maybe a harescramble this summer. Not a big racing scene up here. The harescramble series has only one race in my area, everything else is a 4hr drive. Between work, family and just plain ol' life its hard to get the time on the weekends.

Once my garage gets above freezing again I'll get some prep work done on the bike, and get riding again. After sitting all winter the old XR250R fired up first kick last weekend before my big rip around the yard.

I've been keeping in shape over the winter, running, and some strength training, so its just a matter of getting in bike shape.

Let us know how the race went.
  3. dachef

dachef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our enduro season starts in 2 and a half weeks. This will be my fourth year of the series. I never raced as a kid just rode dirt bikes. At 46 I decided to take it up again.

Ran the beginner class at 47 and actually won a two day enduro that year and finished the season first in points.

2nd year at age 48, moved to novice and came in 11th overall.

Last year I came in tied for 3rd in points in the novice class.

This year (50 years old) I've moved to supervet B ... time to race with the old fast guys. I think I'm ready, over the winter I lost 25 lbs and started running. The bike is all serviced ready to go. We just need the weather to improve (damn winter). I need to get out for some practice!!
  4. XFBO

XFBO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

Rather than starting a new thread on the same dreaded question, I figured I'd use the search field (rarity, I know! :D) and found this here thread!!!

A LOT of great info which answers some of my questions but still need some advise on a good mid sized enduro!

I came into this thread thinking the KTM 350EXC was going to be in my future but after seeing how many members here recommended the KTM 200-300XC, I don't know anymore. So I asked an old friend who, I know, does a lot of trail riding and hare scrambles, he recommended the Husky TE310.....when I said I've seen a lot of people recommend the 300XC, he said it's NOT an entry level bike and it may overheat in the slow stuff we have here in NNJ/Pa areas.....what do you guys think?

FWIW- I was in my teens the last time I did any real trail riding, less maybe 1-2 outtings about a decade ago....but it's not like I was completely inactive, I was doing primarily trackdays with a CCS race weekend here and there over the last 12 yrs. I got away from that mostly due to family priorities and concentrating on dirt again since my 7yo son has been showing great interest in trail riding.....so here I am! :D

Any guidance in picking the right bike would be appreciated!
  5. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    If your buddy thinks you will have problems over-heating a 300 2T, you will most definitely over-heat a 4t. It is much cheaper to maintain a 2T woods bike than a 4T woods bike. Modern KTMs can be set up to have almost no 2T hit or a big hit.

My daughter's 1st big bike was a 200XCW and she did great with it.

If you have a line on a well set up KTM 300, I would be on it. Make sure the jetting is correct (JD Jet kit is the way to go), then ride it and have a shit ton of fun.
    Shooter1 likes this.
  6. XFBO

XFBO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you BY!
  7. barnyard

Oddometer:
    Bumping up an older thread here......

I had to quit racing, but have found that the lessons I learned racing, transfer nicely to dual sport riding. I ride a KTM 640A on minimum maintenance roads and 2 track trails. The KTM suspension is set up nicely and by standing on the pegs and treating it like a heavy dirt bike, I can ride faster and have many, many tonnes of fun.

Standing on the pegs does not require a lot of fitness, but sitting, then standing does. Doing a bunch of bike riding helps keep my legs in shape. I also do yoga for core strength and balance. The better you can balance, the less you have to dab a foot, the less energy you spend riding, the longer you can ride before needing to stop for the day.

If I were to get bike into racing again, I would get a KTM 250xcw and have fun.
  8. mx5joe

mx5joe n00b

Oddometer:

I really enjoyed reading this thread. I attended, as a spectator my first Hare Scramble at Spring Creek MX park a few weeks ago. I raced MX there as a teenager back in the 90's; just like the rest of the posters here I feel the itch to get out there and ride/race and am feeling like this would be a fun way to get back into the sport and have fun riding. Do the bike recommendations still apply... its been a few years. I'd be doing some trail riding and a few Scrambles a year to start with. I saw a lot of 250 two strokes and a lot of KTM's and Husqvarna's at the Spring Creek event. Looking to pick up something used

barnyard likes this.
  9. barnyard

Oddometer:
    There is a trail ride in the Paul Bunyan Forest at Akeley this weekend. The forecast is for just about perfect weather. Should be about the perfect weekend to spend out in the woods on a dirtbike.
  10. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming

Oddometer:
    My years of dirt bike riding gave muscle memory that is priceless on the street.
    Shooter1, barnyard and mountaincadre like this.
  11. barnyard

Oddometer:
    100% agree.
  12. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keeping this theme alive with a twist I am mulling over getting back into enduro type riding. I have a good KTM 525 that I basically dual sport but even a fun ride on this beast can be daunting and tiring; it threatens to pull your arms off whenever it can! I rode enduro's for years (on a number of Swedish Husky's - back when Dick Burleson ruled and Ed Hertfelder described my riding ability) and moved to adventure/duel sport with some friends who have packed it in. But I feel the pull of the dirt.

Now I know a better rider would manage a 525 but I'm lusting after a 250/300 smoker (Husqvarna my preference duh). One issue; I am 64 years old; still worth it a try? Warning: Anyone who says "Yes" may be called to testify to my missus.
  13. barnyard

Oddometer:
    If you were to race here in Mn, you would not be in that class alone. I am 55 and was in one of the larger classes. It is shocking to me how much better the new 250/300s are.
  14. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 62 and race a KTM 300 XC and love it - perfect bike (for me anyway) for trail riding and enduro racing so go for it husqvarna
    husqvarna likes this.
  15. dachef

dachef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW.
    Started reading this thread. I forgot I has even posted, and then saw my post from 2013.... I’ll update
    Raced supervet b for the ‘14 and ‘15season.... The ‘15 season I won our series Enduro, Cross Country, and Combined Championship as well as a National Enduro Championship.
    Now racing the 55 plus class. I now train with Fit4racing out of the UK... I can’t say enough about these guys ,they send me a program every week, I work out 4 days a week and try to ride 3-4 times a week during riding season.
    Recently I did a US national enduro to see how I would stack up against the US riders, and managed to place 3rd in my class. I can’t seem to get rid of this racing bug. It has got me in shape, got me to set goals, met great people and just makes me happier.
    I retired this past June and I’m now planning to ride the entire US National Enduro Series next year.
    Great fun!
  16. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    Interesting stuff, after 30 years of trail riding I started racing in XC Rally at the age of 51 on a CCM 604E but at that stage it was just UK rallies that don't require navigation (just follow the arrows), two years later I upgraded to a KTM 525EXC in full rally trim before embarking on my first navigation rally and my first overseas rally, the 2015 Tuareg Rallye in Morocco. Not too shabby as managed 3rd in class (Old slow gits aka Amateur over 50s).

Since then I've also done two Tour of Portugal Rallies (13th and 18th overall) and a load more UK events. Unfortunately last year shortly before my 58th birthday I was firstly diagnosed with the neuromuscular condition Myasthenia Gravis that causes extreme muscle fatigue and then two months later (but totally unconnected) I suffered a heart attack! Had an emergency angioplasty and a stent fitted so at least the heart is all good now.

As a result the motorcycle governing body here in the UK, the ACU will only grant me an enduro licence (necessary for rally) if I have a full medical and a successful stress echocardiogram, unfortunately that's about £800 i have to find myself which is simply out of the question.

The crazy thing is I can still enter a lot of overseas events like the Tuareg or the Hellas Rally as they don't require a race licence but at the moment I'm not sure I'm up to a seven day race given the impacts of the myasthenia.

Luckily I am allowed a trials licence in the UK, so I'm still competing in Classic trials and Long Distance Trials to keep scratching that competitive itch!
    husqvarna likes this.