Nepal to the Stans

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by rb30e, Feb 25, 2013.

1. rb30e

rb30e n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

My brother is getting married here in oz and once again in Kathmandu with his Nepalese wife to be.

They are planning their wedding for February next year. Although this is the end of their winter, and probably not the ideal time to travel she seems to think the weather there is pretty good.

I figured why go all that way ( from oz ) to just see Nepal which is a relatively small country. Our first idea was to try and explore the Himalayas as much as we could. At this point I should mention the inevitable, we are planning on doin this in a Nissan patrol 4x4. Although I still ride a bike, being paraplegic and that far from home, the 4x4 seems more practical. Also I have done a number of trips by bike overseas, prior to my accident and the info from this site proved to be invaluable.

Anyway cut to the chase, I've always wanted to explore Central Asia, I have seen much of SE Asia, Europe and parts of Africa but Central Asia has this certain pull or allure to it which has always been irresistible to me.

From Nepal you can travel the northern parts of India, Pakistan but there lies a bit of a hurdle I'm unsure about. Afghanistan. To get to Tajikistan and the rest of the Stans you need to either cross Afghanistan or venture into china both of which pose their own unique challenges. Also I was wondering what the story with Tibet is and if that's a no go zone also.

Anyone that has any recommendations or information about crossing into any of these countries, or any info on the Stans, please feel free to spill your guts.

Thanks
  2. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer: