How many of you guys are using Highwaydirtbikes Guards/etc?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Zapp22, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind, chime in if you use HDB guards, clamps or other please.
    Just trying to get a feel for numbers and some followup on whether they fit 'outta the box' or whether you had to change the bars etc to accomodate.

thx
  2. mlkdash

mlkdash Righteous Dude

Oddometer:
    I pretty much put the top clamp and guards right on as shipped from HDB No modifications needed. I love them - stout :clap
  3. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I've got them installed. I did use the wunderlich bar weight and throttle control, vs HDB. I also did not use the HDB threaded insert, but rather countersunk the bar to allow the bolt to mount flush.
  4. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got mine. They've been on the bike for several months and I'm still liking them. They are really stout, gave good wind protection during the winter and keep the bugs off the back of your hands during the summer months. The real plus is that when I stopped on the side of a gravel road and put my foot down on a pushed up lump of dirt that wasn't solid and did a slow-mo fall they protected the brake lever just fine.
    Install- I did wind up "adjusting" the end of the guard in the vise where it bolted to the handlebar center during the install.
    They went on easy, work and look great and Paul is a great guy to work with.
    Quality product, good people, fair prices. I'dd order them again!
  5. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I modified a set of Cyca probends to work on the 800. I've been happy with them on other bikes, and they've taken a few hard hits now and are holding up quite well. Definitely don't qualify as bolt on, but I understand you can buy a specially designed kit that may work with the 800 (designed for the 12GS I think). I like the replaceable plastics too.
  6. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    I'm using HDB handguards with a set of Protaper bars. I love them, but they were a PITA to install. I had to do a fair amount of bending to get everything to fit right.
  7. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the HDB guards, top clamp, mirrors, and wind deflectors on my XR650L and it is the best money I ever spent on the bike.

Great quality and superb protection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marc
  8. Go For Broken

Go For Broken n00b

Oddometer:
    I've read a lot of posts of folks who've installed them and for the money they seem to be the best. I plan on buying a set. Too bad I already scratched up the brake lever due to a stupid rookie mistake.

Dean
  9. AZGym

AZGym * * * *

Oddometer:
    I just put a set on my F800GS. I needed a different top clamp along with the HDB BMW kit due to a stabilizer and Paul was great helping me get exactly what I needed. The kit bolted on without any problems and the quality is great.

Attached Files:

• HDB.jpg
      HDB.jpg
      File size:
      142.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Moto4Balance

Moto4Balance Gas Passer

Oddometer:
    I’m interested in the HDB guards as well. Can anyone comment on the HDB mirrors regarding adequate rearward visibility and whether they are affected by vibrations at speed? Any issues with Scotts stabilizer compatibility?
  11. Maniac28

Maniac28 Journalist

Oddometer:
    I can answer both of those. No compatability issue, I've got HDB and Scotts. For the mirrors, I found them useless, couldn't see a damn thing, so I sent them back and am using the stock bmw mirrors.
  12. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    was that 'cause they originally came up short? I had wondered about this...

13. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    on one 7/8 bar i have, the interior diameter was too big for their tap ends. that surprised me... I ended up using a pair of end mounts 'borrowed' from set of emgo carbon-fiber guards.
    oddly enough, the cheap Emgo set has very well-designed and robust end mounts. longer and stouter than cycra's, and supplied with a rubber sleeve [which I would have made if it had not been there]

14. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bridged top clamp fits like a glove. I called to order and they asked me about mods on the bike. I mentioned the RoxRisers and they said the width was different on the Rox setup so they had me measure the bolt hole spacing and sent me the appropriate clamp. They know their business!
  15. Ike Baker

Ike Baker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put the handguards and mirrors on a Husky TE250 - really like the guards (pretty stout), but yeah, the mirrors didn't work. I couldn't get the right viewing angle on them.
  16. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that's kinda of weird. I had the folding KTM mirrors that I liked until I got the hdb's. I think the HDB's mirrors are amazing. No Vibe problems and the wide stance really makes visibility great.

They do tend to fold @ about 90 sometimes though.

As for the guards themselves, they are really phenomenal.
  17. linksIT

linksIT nOObie

Oddometer:
    Just put on the HDB guards on the F800. Love them. Bolted right up no bending or mods of any kind to get them to fit.

I also really like the mirrors. Took a little getting used to but I think they are great. Great product and a these guys are great to deal with.

HDB:clap
  18. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    Bomber product that fit perfect, tougher than any others I have seen and could not be happier. Also the service paul give customer is second to none!
  19. shelion

shelion Goddess of Fire

Oddometer:
    I just installed a set on my 650GS twin. They bolted up pretty easily. I haven't tested the durability but they are really stout and look like they'll hold up well.

Also another endorsement for Paul's customer service. It took a couple weeks for my order to show up but I found out it was because BMW changed the bars on the 650 twins so Paul had to make a different triple clamp. The clamp fit perfectly.
  20. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the mirrors on my XR. They, of course are not bit 8: mirrors but I can see behind me very well and they do not vibrate at all.

Marc