Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ducatirdr

ducatirdr Over 40 years riding on roads.

Oddometer:
    Speaking of horns... I came across this truck in a parking lot outside of the Boston Massachusetts area. The local highway adjacent to the office park is sort of a ring road outside of Boston. Route 128 is known for its accidents and crazy commuter drivers. I wish I could have met the owner. I bet he is an interesting character. Would have loved to hear it. Bet it sounds like a locomotive horn.

[​IMG]
  2. XYooper906

XYooper906 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is how I installed a Wolo Bad Boy in my 2012 XC. It works well and us wired in conjunction with the OEM horn. I've changed a few minds when distracted cagers start to merge in front of me....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/xyooper906/sets/72157631897100917/
  3. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Very comprehensive doc! Thanks for that. But this is way more involved than I want to deal with for a horn replacement at this point in time. I have other things on order/coming/sitting here that I need to get to and I'm reluctant to do any non-plug-and-play solutions right now.

I have barely enough time for riding, so I don't want to spend too much time tinkering.

But again - thanks for the hints. It's super interesting, just not what I want to deal with right now.
  4. TxLoneRider

TxLoneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done, thank you.

I am going to see what I can do to duplicate. While I am at it, I need to add a pair of those to my Suburban :evil
  5. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    I had the latest version of the controller. I was told when I called them to replace it that they would willingly send me a new one, but it would just fail again. They are aware of the problem. The reason I didn't just replace it was that meant pulling my tank removing the unit and sending it in, replacing the tank to ride and then removing it again when the new one showed up. Then I would have to cross my fingers and hope the new one didn't fail on a long trip somewhere down the line. The quality is very hit or miss. I know the heat troller will last and I don't have to worry about a failure when I need it the most. YMMV.
  6. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cug,
    I'm also interested in a plug & play option, so if you do find something that fits, be sure to yell it out.
  7. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Cug & BlackBeast. You may want to check out the Piaa horn. I installed one on my TEX and although it's not nearly as loud as the Stebel on my KLR, it's still a bunch better than the anemic stock horn it came with. I'll try to post a pic later with a little info on mounting it, if you're interested. It's rated @ 115 Db and if I recall the Stebel Nautilus is rated @ 135 Db.
  8. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I'll absolutely do that. Just have some other things to deal with first. I'll post about them as they come in and I have a chance to install / test.
  9. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Since I gave the admin there my opinion on his OCD like moderating behavior the idiot blocked my IP (after I requested that my account be removed, which the guy didn't do properly either, all my posts are still up and if I'm in the mood at some point I'll just change my IP and tell that *** to remove them properly), so unless I fancy to surf there again I'll not look at that link. Sorry.
  11. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Think I'll stick with using the stock mount location, don't like the look of it hanging out the side like that.

[​IMG]
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's not for me either.
  13. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done, guess you didn't read the warranty instructions :clap
  14. XYooper906

Oddometer:
    I understand, and you're welcome! I love to tinker (ALMOST as much as riding!) and come up with different solutions that work for me. I try to do these projects when it's not great riding weather. I know not everyone would want to go through this project, but I just couldn't find a good place to mount it that would still project the sound near the front of the bike, and be out of the way. I tried a separate pump/dual airhorn kit and it wasn't nearly as loud as this one, and the horns would have been hard to mount out of the way. And the most likely component to fail would be the pump, which would be easy to replace.
  15. XYooper906

Oddometer:
    Yep. I thought about that the moment the cutting blade hit the plastic.....here goes a $40 "experiment".

To the guy at the return desk: "No, man, it was that way when I opened the package!"
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I love to do that, too, but there are two issues: I don't have enough time as it is and we have rarely ever really bad weather here ... :lol3
  17. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Mounted up Pilot Road 3 Trails tonight on my roadie replacing nearly worn out Tourance's. I wanted to try out a more road oriented tire this time around and really liked PR2's on a previously owned Versys.

[​IMG]
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    110/80-19? How tight do they fit at the rear? I have some clearance concerns since the shop glued in the fender extender and it's awfully close to the tire (the original 100/90-19 Scorpion).
  19. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Yep I had the same concerns, I have a glued fender extender also. The tire fits fine and I think there's more clearance now than what I had with the Tourance.
  20. DennyMyBoy

DennyMyBoy Hoping for a GS

Oddometer:
    After nearly 2 months of waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and for things at work to calm down following Easter, yesterday I finally brought home my 2012 Tiger 800XC. Have put about 70 miles on it so far.

Am a longtime Honda rider: GL1800 and then ST1300 most recently. Due to work, family, and health issues, no bike for the past 2 years, and this is my long overdue step of getting involved in one of my greatest interests and passions.

Have probably taken about 5 demo rides on the T800 since its release. Always marveled at its comfortable ergos, power, and fun factor.

So as of now, day 2 of ownership, I wish I had held off on the purchase. During the past few weeks I've followed the news reports and ADVrider thread regarding the Honda CB1100. I'm right in the demographic that Honda is aiming for -- 50 years old, grew up on Honda, always admired the CB750, and during the 1980's had a few smaller 4 cylinder Hondas. Then 2 GL's, then the ST. As soon as I pulled in the garage last night and stepped back from the Tiger, I just began to feel buyers remorse. Kept walking around it to get a really exciting angle for a photo, or just to admire it. Most angles not as exciting as in the dealer showroom! So today I went to a nearby Honda dealer, on the Tiger, and was actually able to demo a CB1100. Believe it or not I was pulled over by a motor cop during the demo for cutting into the other lane of traffic to merge toward an exit. It was one of those situations where I waited until the last possible minute to merge. He let me go with a stern warning.

I loved the ride on the CB. Smooth, smooth power, and an entire experience that just took me back in time 30 years. The sound, the smell, the feel, everything. And staring at it in the sun after the ride felt the same way. Would have much preferred to ride that home instead of my brand spanking new Tiger.

My wife is not going to be too happy about me trading this bike in any time soon!! Any one else ever have an experience like this? Any wise counsel? My present plan is to enjoy the Tiger for the season ahead, and likely trade in for the Honda next spring. I also have a 30+ year relationship with the Honda dealer, so would hopefully get a minimum of a spanking on the trade. Heck, maybe it will even be blue in 2014, the color of my first 3 Hondas way back when.

Wonder what my therapist would say about all of this! Hah! I love the hunt for new bikes, and confess that oftentimes the anticipation of owning one is much more exciting than the reality of it being in my garage. Even still, that CB1100 is all I can think of right now.

Thanks.