Interested in Sandblast RallyMoto?

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by BC61, Oct 11, 2009.

1. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    SandBlast Fun Run

* Sunday Novemger 1, 2009 in Patrick SC *

10AM till ~4PM We will meet in Patrick SC at a gas station on the corner of RT1 and 102. If trailering there is a vacant lot next to the gas station you can park in.

* Note the date change and please post up if you plan on coming. *

<SMALL></SMALL>http://<IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Patrick,+SC&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.999041,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Patrick,+Chesterfield,+South+Carolina&z=14&ll=34.5746,-80.0459&output=embed" frameBorder=0 width=425 scrolling=no height=350></IFRAME>
    <SMALL>
    View Larger Map</SMALL>

Even if you don't plan on racing but want to check out what the course is like come and ride, who knows you might like it!

I'd like to hit the sand roads by 10:15 so try to be there as close to 10 as possible so you don't miss out. If you are going to be there later, let me know and we can make arangements to pick up the stragglers.

Many have expressed a desire to compete in RallyMoto and in particular the Sandblast Rally held in Cheraw, Patrick and McBee South Carolina in February but aren't really sure what they would be getting themselves into. So to help get more participants and/or volunteers to the event I'd like to invite anyone interested in pre-running sections of the course to come ride with me on November 1st. Rally rules prohibit testing/pre-running etc. 90 days before the event and that is the only weekend I have open before November 8th, the pre-running cut-off.

Not all stage roads are "open" so we will only hit portions of the course but enough to get a feel for the terrain and flow. I'll also mention the speed limit on most of the roads is 25 so we will be riding responsibly.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the rally event flow, time keeping and bike prep during the ride.

I'll probably get a few other local veteran competitors of the event to join in, maybe even the event organizer.

If interested post up. I'll post up more specifics such as which day, time and where to meet soon.
  2. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds cool.

This is a ride on sandy roads right?

I missed pine barrens this past weekend so I haven't gotten my fix of riding in sand yet this year.
  3. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

I was a spectator last year so I feel confident in answering this question; yes the roads are sandy.

[​IMG]
  4. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to come off as a smart ass, but... the rally is called SandBlast. :D

Yes it will be sandy! Actually the picture above is one of the few spots where it is deep soft sand. Most of the roads are packed sand but the conditions will vary and the weather plays a role. The wetter the conditions the firmer the ground.

This video was done by Keith Ciampa from the 08 rally. It will give you a vibe of a rally and a sense of the roads.

http://<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0U3Aqcas3U0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>
    </P>
  5. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    hey, question: how much of it is actually accessible outside of the rallye? A lot of it is private most of the time. I think you can find find a lot of roads just like the actual course right nearby, though.

You know I'd go, if I could get my ass down there :cry
  6. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    Bill,
    Lemme know if you need/want some help with this.
    I can schedule a day or three off with enough notice. :thumb
  7. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say about 50% of the roads are open and yes there are many miles of non rally course roads to ride too.

My intent is to expose those who may be interested to the terrain and even though it will only be partial sections of the course it's better for someone new to see the "real deal" than show them something that is "similar too".

Jason, I may be able to arrange a GS1200 for you to ride if you can get here.

Thumper, your not invited.:nono

just kidding, you can come :wings wait and see if there is any interest before making special plans
  8. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea. Thanks for even offering. :freaky sorry to have missed you at the Catskills.

ps I should have read the original post more carefully. :D
  9. BLINKER 152

BLINKER 152 mudlover

Oddometer:
    thanks for the opportunity!:clap i've been wanting an excuse to go do some riding in south C anyway. gonna try to clear my schedule that weekend.
  10. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hell Yeah! I will drag a guy up that I am trying to get to enter. So yes, I'd love to prerun...It would be myself and Marcus Taylor.

Keep me posted by pm or feel free to call me @ 843-469-0538

Cheers,

Jason

11. SpeedyG942

SpeedyG942 Gas Man

Oddometer:
    I'll be on the lookout for updates/specifics. Sounds like a blast!:lol3
  12. Ghost_911

Ghost_911 Kurvenversteher

Oddometer:
    Hi BC61

I'm searching for events like this, sounds very good to have a chance for a pre-run. Please let me know what to do to join the group end of October?

Thx Manny
  13. JALnSC

JALnSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    BP61
    I am in Florence SC, about 45min from Patrick. I am very interested in doing this and I could do any advance scouting you need.
    I have been to the Sand Blast the last three years and finaly feel confident enough to enter.
  14. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just made arrangements to meet someone from Charlotte in Cheraw on Monday, Nov. 2nd to pre-run some of the roads. If anyone is not able to make it on the 31st or 1st, now there will at least be a couple of people up there on Monday the 2nd.

PM me if interested in tagging along.

A word of caution for anyone going up there that is unfamiliar with the roads...BE CAREFUL. Inmate, Mr. Magoo, had a near fatal accident, thinking he was on a certain road and then realizing too late that there was a gate closed across the road he was on...:eek1

Cheers,

Jason
  15. mhaas

mhaas intrpd travlrwanabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Carefull about running those roads "off season". The locals will drop a dime and eventually Anders will hear about it. That could affect the Sandblast's future.
    Just sayin
  16. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Additionally, if the road says "authorized vehicles only", that's not you unless you have a permit.

Anders
  17. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    BC, Thanks for putting this together. I'm in for sure. :clap Flying back to the States on Oct31. A Nov1 preride date would help me out tremendously. I may even be up for staying and preriding with you guys on Nov2. Keep me posted...you got my # BC.
  18. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    Is there an age limit?:lol3
  19. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    * Note the date change and please post up if you plan on coming. *

SandBlast Fun Run

Sunday November 1, 2009 in Patrick SC

10AM till ~4PM

We will meet in Patrick SC at a gas station on the corner of RT1 and 102. If trailering there is a vacant lot next to the gas station you can park in.

<A href="http://<iframe width=" target=_blank>http://<IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Patrick,+SC&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.999041,78.837891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Patrick,+Chesterfield,+South+Carolina&z=14&ll=34.5746,-80.0459&output=embed" frameBorder=0 width=425 scrolling=no height=350></IFRAME>
    <SMALL>View Larger Map</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>Even if you don't plan on racing but want to check out what the course is like come and ride, who knows you might like it.</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>I'd like to hit the sand roads by 10:15 so try to be there as close to 10 as possible so you don't miss out. If you are going to be there later, let me know and we can make arangements to pick up the stragglers.</SMALL>
  20. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg, sorry but due to my shedule now I have to do it on the 31st.