R90/6 1974 in NZ

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by onestop, May 15, 2012.

1. onestop

onestop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    thought I'd show u my 1974 R90/6 I just bought as a do up.Bike, came from the USA about 15 years ago and has never been put on the road legaly runs good but needs a good clean up, I have now striped all bodywork off for a repaint, taken rear sub frame off and painted rear swinging arm , shocks etc cleaned up wheels .
    I was a bit shocked to find a broken front brake disk but lucky I had a spare cast iron disk doing nothing.
    When I removed the front fork gaitor the oil gushed out and the fork seal popped out also is this common as I have only seen leaky fork seals.
    the speedo works but the odometre goes wild can anyone tell me if I have a w1.144 speedo in mph and I replace it with a w 711 in kph will it read ok , or what gearing can I swap over inside the speedo .
    I have bought new mufflers and a new seat along with new tyres so with the new paint job it will look good.
    Would any one have a good chrome headlight ring

darryl from NZ

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Nice bike....not tempted to leave it as it is....? looks nice and aged.
    I never saw that on Trade Me..:rofl
  3. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
  4. lachie

lachie Drunk

Oddometer:
    Can't help you with any of your questions but that's a good looking bike! How hard will getting it registered be?
  5. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    The 711 speedo is the exact one you need! No problems there.

It looks like a good bike just as it sits - I'd have touched it up and ridden it.

I've also gotten these bikes with cracked discs - they seemed to work ok for the PO that way, but just a bit too spooky for me.
  6. kadesean

kadesean eyesuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it's a '74? Drilled rotor started in '75 as did the plastic (not aluminum) turn signals.
  7. onestop

onestop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the bike shows as 74 on vin plate by the numbers and by checking on the internet..
    The bike looks good in the photos. When I took the tank rubbers off rust was there also on top of tank paint is thin with rust showing most probably just caught it in time.
    When I bought the bike there was no paperwork to show import etc ,I have now got permission to VIN bike without this.
    thanks for your replys as all info helps
  8. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Wow, reflectors on the forks - everyone will know where it came from. Get the grinder out.
  9. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, they are bolt on reflectors. They came standard on my UK registered '78 R100RS as well. Actually I'd rather have them there than not.
  10. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Looks good Darryl. Keep us posted with your updates.
  11. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've got them on my '74 90/6 as well. I like em. I found them in the spare parts that came with my bike- tried them on and pondered whether to keep them on....
    Black motorbike with below average brakes (thats right, I've got twin discs:D so they've been upgraded from poor to below average)... yep, more visibility is good. And now I am used to them I actually like the look of them.

Nice bike Darryl.
    1974 R90/6's are simply the best airheads ever made, anyone who disagrees is just jealous and I am not biased at all.:evil
    I tried zooming in on your switchgear- have you got a photo handy? Along with the lovely aluminium indicators the 74 should have come with the /5 switchgear which I am also partial to. The zoomed in pixelated silhouette I can see of your switchgear kind of looks like the later variety.
  12. onestop

onestop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks
    I thinks it has the later model switches left has lights high beam and horn , right has kill switch,indicater and starter.
    the blinkers are the black plastic type.
    before taking apart I rode this for around 200miles and it went well looking forward to riding it again with good tyres, and new fork seals.
  13. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! Darryl, Whangarei...Did you meet Igor & Penny earlier in the summer then? :wink:
  14. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Feel free to join us in the NZ section too. We've just about managed to squeeze the lesser bikes out of there so we will have a pretty free reign of the place:D
  15. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that ring. They were almost unobtanium back when I was hunting for one!
  16. onestop

onestop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes I did meet and help Igor and Penny
    Blaine I have just finished reading your write up on restoring,lucky for me I've played with a few boxers so have a reasonable know how but its amazing if u buy without seeing what shows up later .
  17. ADV8

ADV8 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if a Ducati Monster chrome ring would fit or be the same.
    I fitted a R90 glass to my 900SD once which I think has the same ring as the SD Bosch head light,the SD reflector fits the Monster head light. ????
    Might be another possibility.

Nice R 90,I rode a R90S once,bit like a Morris Minor on steroids,the brakes made a whistling sound and seem to remember the foot pegs had the same off set as the cylinders,yikes,a German her indoors is enough. :lol3

Have to admit,if the momentum was kept up it could cover some ground easily.
  18. onestop

onestop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    u could be right about other brands fitting
    My 1st bm was in 86 and I haven't owned another since old and new until 2009 when I bought a 88 600 transalp in brisbane and did the birdsville track and down to adelaide and back to Brisbane.only owned it for 2 mths
  19. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    Yes the Ducati Monster headlight lens is the same as the post /5 ones, and some 70's Ducatis. I was failed on having a LHD one my Darmah and the local Ducati dealer have BMW ones...$ 150.00.Chances are the ring is the same too.